The Student Room Group

Going to study Physics at Uni, should I take Further Maths or Chemistry for A level?

The current subjects I am definitely taking for A level are Physics and Maths. However, I'm not sure on Chemistry or Further Maths.

Which one should I take?

I'm thinking of looking into either astrophysics or quantum mechanics.
Reply 1
Original post by Heirio
The current subjects I am definitely taking for A level are Physics and Maths. However, I'm not sure on Chemistry or Further Maths.

Which one should I take?

Why not do both?
Further maths definitely, went through the same dilemma and its worked out in my favour.
Reply 3
Original post by lyamlim97
Why not do both?

Good point, I could certainly take both... but I kind of wanted my fourth subject to be unrelated from my science stuff, as four science subjects (including maths) would be a bit too stressful.
Should I ask my teachers as well?
(edited 7 years ago)
FM, supposedly the first year is a recap of FM so if you had to pick one - pick FM definitely
Reply 5
Original post by Heirio
Good point, I could certainly take both... but I kind of wanted my fourth subject to be unrelated from my science stuff, as four science subjects (including maths) would be a bit too stressful.
Should I ask my teachers as well?

What other subjects are you taking?
Original post by Heirio

Which one should I take?

Honestly, take chemistry.
The math part, you can learn easily.

The chemistry part is much more difficult and will help you a lot in Physics. Chemistry and Physics are very integrated. With Chemistry, understanding physics is much more easier.
How would you even understand orbitals, atomic structure, bonding, reactions, equilibria, born-haber cycles, gibbs free energy etc without taking chemistry???.........
These topics(especially on the structure of atoms) is very important for the understanding of physics.

To be successful in physics, you must take chemistry. The Further Math requirements can easily be covered in uni and is not necessary.

Edit: I've seen that you have interest in Quantum Physics. This further ensures that you MUST take chemistry. A solid understanding of Chemistry is VERY VERY important for quantum physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingYusHalo
Honestly, take chemistry.
The math part, you can learn easily.

The chemistry part is much more difficult and will help you a lot in Physics. Chemistry and Physics are very integrated. With Chemistry, understanding physics is much more easier.
How would you even understand orbitals, atomic structure, bonding, reactions, equilibria, born-haber cycles, gibbs free energy etc without taking chemistry???.........
These topics(especially on the structure of atoms) is very important for the understanding of physics.

To be successful in physics, you must take chemistry. The Further Math requirements can easily be covered in uni and is not necessary.

Edit: I've seen that you have interest in Quantum Physics. This further ensures that you MUST take chemistry. A solid understanding of Chemistry is VERY VERY important for quantum physics.

Completely disagree! Take FM.Physics at degree level is more maths than any other subject. You will cover FM at degree level, but itll make your first year a hell of a lot less stressful, because its HARD! At Warwick, the first year is 20% of the final degree- and at the offerholders day they advised anyone who wasnt doing FM to swot up on them in the hols because they cover the Fm syllabus inthe first 8 weeks....
Reply 8
Contact the universities that you hope to apply to and ask their advice. They will be best placed to tell you which would be more useful and also which would be looked upon more favourably during the applications process. (Some universities prefer you to have a broader education rather than being too narrowly focussed in one subject area.)
Reply 9
Original post by Teenie2
Contact the universities that you hope to apply to and ask their advice. They will be best placed to tell you which would be more useful and also which would be looked upon more favourably during the applications process. (Some universities prefer you to have a broader education rather than being too narrowly focussed in one subject area.)

I've sent emails to three so far: Cambridge, Warwick and York.
Cambridge gave this answer for a course in Physics (they said it was one of the more useful combinations).

"A Level Physics, A Level Mathematics and AS Level Further Mathematics"

Warwick and York haven't replied yet. I think the safest bet is to take Further Mathematics, but I'm not sure whether or not to take Chemistry with that or take a non-science subject.
Original post by Herbiechester
Completely disagree! Take FM.Physics at degree level is more maths than any other subject. You will cover FM at degree level, but itll make your first year a hell of a lot less stressful, because its HARD! At Warwick, the first year is 20% of the final degree- and at the offerholders day they advised anyone who wasnt doing FM to swot up on them in the hols because they cover the Fm syllabus inthe first 8 weeks....

You are right but Quantum Physics puts a huge emphasis on chemistry. Whatever, tell him to take both.
Reply 11
Original post by KingYusHalo
You are right but Quantum Physics puts a huge emphasis on chemistry. Whatever, tell him to take both.

I think taking both is the safest option atm, though I'll have to check with some of my teachers; four science subjects (including maths here) will be hard.

Quick Reply

Latest