The Student Room Group

What's your worst uni accommodation story?

Bin-jenga anyone?

binjenga.jpeg

From dirty dishes to horrible landlords and impossible flatmates. What's your uni accommodation horror story?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarleyZ
Bin-jenga anyone?

binjenga.jpeg

From dirty dishes to horrible landlords and impossible flatmates. What's your uni accommodation horror story?

One of my flatmates liked to play circle of life on full blast and destroy my pans then bin them without telling me ended up keeping everything in my room in the end.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
One of my flatmates liked to play circle of life on full blast and destroy my pans then bin them without telling me ended up keeping everything in my room in the end.

omg! RUDE :eek::eek:
Big chunk of the living room ceiling randomly fell down while we had some friends over for drinks :biggrin: :yy:
Original post by MarleyZ
omg! RUDE :eek::eek:

yeah, they didnt appeared to have learnt to ask to use things.
Reply 5

LOL da***?! I wish a flatmate did that to me, he/she would deeply regret it :smile: :smile: :smile:
Some rival flat threw a tree into our kitchen, along with that we thought were used tampons... turns out it was just ketchup and smushed cherries. I gave them props for trying to add a realistic texture...
Slugs and rat infestation.
Original post by eden3
LOL da***?! I wish a flatmate did that to me, he/she would deeply regret it :smile: :smile: :smile:

I dont think they'd learnt how to cook beans correctly as twice the burnt them on two pans.
I dont think they'd learnt how to cook beans correctly as twice the burnt them on two pans.

Who cooks beans?! You just shove them in the microwave, amateurs. :colonhash:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Who cooks beans?! You just shove them in the microwave, amateurs. :colonhash:

I wish they had done, they never bothered cleaning the microwave so probably decided not to go near it.
Flatmates friends bring a dj deck and massive speakers into the kitchen, and then they proceed to have a party in the communal kitchen every night for five days. If it was just the friday and saturday night i wouldnt have minded but i have 9am to 4pm so by night 3 im a tad annoyed but i just decide to tell reception about it they then do nothing, by night five im feeling sick im shaking (turns out had panic attack) so i rant a bit on facebook, nice flatemate sees this and shows flatmate having party to tell them to stop, so she knocks on my door and has a go at me for posting on facebook but parties stop so im thinking thank god. another month down the line she throws another party but its a saturday night so i dont mind, at about 1 in the morning her and her mates start banging loudly on my door screaming my name, rattling the door trying to get in and yelling how much of a b@!#h i am.
I dont see her again til after christmas but its only in passing so its fine, more flatmates move in i become really good friends with them i dont mention the other flatmate, one week im back from placement i put a note on the kitchen door for the party flatmate to clear up her stuff cause ill have friends round one evening (passive agressive i know but she left them around all the time and other than to party she was never in the flat) i go out with the society that night but im feeling a bit ill so i cancel having people round. i get a text message when im walking back from one of my nicer flatmates that party flatmate was yelling at them for touching her broom and was throwing another party. when i get in i go to my nicer flatmates room first where i find all of my flatmate friends holed up so we stay in there a few hours playing card games,at about 11 i here party flatmate yelling my name other flatmate goes out to check and sees her put something under my door. when party flatmate goes i go to my door to check what it was, cant even open my door before party flatmate is having a go at me for daring to tell her to clean up her mess and how dare i talk about her in the group chat (at the time i was not in the group chat but i am now) and how much of a child i am. when she turns away to talk to her group of friends who were smirking at me i walk away back to friends room she follows me my friend intercepts her then she starts screaming that he hit her (he did not hit her) other friend gets between both of them and tries to get her out of his doorway then party flatmate rips the glasses of other flatmates face clawing at her. we close the door on her turns out we managed to catch her on film attacking. then we hear a knock at the door she has sent her 6"7 friend to "defend " her we tell him hes on camera and that if he does attack itll be premeditated and we will prosecute so he goes away quick.
We show reception the footage and make a complaint now if she attacks again itll be in the hands of the police but other than that nothings been done so roll on next year
Reply 12
Original post by hezzlington
Slugs and rat infestation.

:eek:
Reply 13
:bump:
We had cockroaches in our block :sad:

Also, our sanitary bins weren't emptied for months no matter how many times we asked. It was a communal bathroom and we couldn't do it ourselves. We were an all girl block and it was gross :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
maybe i should just stay at home with my parents and not go uni cause this makes it seem absolutely horrific
Reply 16
Original post by fefssdf
maybe i should just stay at home with my parents and not go uni cause this makes it seem absolutely horrific

I think these are in very few extreme cases! I wouldn't worry, it'll be fun! :h:
A neighbor used to sing outside for hours about partying on top of buildings...with a megaphone. :grumble:
Our accommodation went without water from one Saturday to a Tuesday. The landlord said they didn't have to do anything about it as it was a weekend and they could leave us without water for 24 house across BUSINESS days so the weekend didn't count. The house manager came around to all of the flats and just gave everyone a 2 litre bottle of water for the whole time. No toilets, no sinks, no showers were working anywhere. It wasn't on campus so you couldn't go to any other buildings to use the facilities. Oh and one time my flat mate said she had more say than me because she was older. I quickly shut that one down, don't worry haha!
So many problems ranging from flatmates doing the usual things like stealing things, to having food fights with my food despite me being poor, stealing my jacket and wallet, getting credit in my name, causing fire alarms to go off and hundreds of rooms evacuated and blaming me and wanting me to pay the fine and then steaing my tv when I moved out and that was just 1 property I lived at!

And having a flatmate who had a 2kw heater on 24/7, as well as putting thermostat to 35 degrees on gas in living room and refusing to pay his share of utilities, waking tenants up at 7am begging for cash, if you wanted a shower in morning and took more than 4 minutes he would knock on door shouting about how unfair you were to have a hour long shower meaning people had to go to class without one.

Property after that had a tenant who stole my food, letters, parcels and when confronted went on about how is loan was late and thus he was poor (but he could afford premium vodka and taxis to uni somehow) but never admitted it, one day I tricked him by saying I was going away for weekend when I was just getting a lift to uni, came back a hour later to find my brand new pan burned with opened packet of my food on side and even a bottle of drink of mine and even hearing him boast to other flatmates about what a soft touch I was, then he saw me enter and looked like he was shocked, he literally hid the bottle of drink and walked out the back door of building.

Then property after that made the mistake of being friend with a bipolar person but that wasn't the worst part, my direct flatmate in room next to me on one side was also mentally ill and had arguments with himself and on other side was a 247 party room as the tenant made spare keys and slept at his girlfriends every night, imagine 1-3 hours sleep a day for 8 months.

Quick Reply

Latest