The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

MST124 Study materials???

Hi

I'm going to be doing MST124 as part of my degree and I've got hold of the pdf's to familurise myself with it. I haven't studied with the Open Uni before so I don't know what to expect.

My question is, what do you actually receive for MST124 when you start the module?
Reason for asking is, I was working my way through it and have come to some things I find difficult but I don't feel as though there is anything in the pdf's to help me surpass my sticking points.

Do you get tutorials? or something else to help you?

Many thanks
Dave
Reply 1
You get a tutor, live and online tutorials, course forums and probably more.

I didn't do 124 but might be able to help too.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by sputum
You get a tutor, live and online tutorials, course forums and probably more.

I didn't do 124 but might be able to help too.

Thanks for your reply!

Also thanks for the offer of help, I guess i'm really looking for reassurance more than anything right now.

I won't actually start 124 for a year unless I speed through the first 60 credits, but just wanted to be sure that when I do have trouble i'm not gonna hit a wall and not get any further.

Most times i've been able to google/ youtube my way through but on occasion when the issue is a small detail of the problem, I've found I can watch an hour long lecture and it not actually answer the question. (So frustrating)

With the additional help once I begin ie tutor/ tutorials etc, I think that issue shouldn't occur (hopefully).

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by Davew3000
Thanks for your reply!

Also thanks for the offer of help, I guess i'm really looking for reassurance more than anything right now.

I won't actually start 124 for a year unless I speed through the first 60 credits, but just wanted to be sure that when I do have trouble i'm not gonna hit a wall and not get any further.

Most times i've been able to google/ youtube my way through but on occasion when the issue is a small detail of the problem, I've found I can watch an hour long lecture and it not actually answer the question. (So frustrating)

With the additional help once I begin ie tutor/ tutorials etc, I think that issue shouldn't occur (hopefully).

Thanks again!

I've just finished MST124 with my exam yesterday. Physically, the books are basically just the same as the PDFs although I personally enjoy working from a physical book more than a PDF.

You get tutorials although I only attended one as I did not find it very helpful. The website contains many useful resources however, like videos with tutors thoroughly explaining and working through examples (the ones marked with a play button in the textbook), practice quizzes on each unit, exercise booklets for each unit with solutions, and forums where you can discuss problems with other students and tutors. You can also contact your tutor directly to ask for help and in my experience they'll usually get back to you within 24 hours.

If you're finding the MST124 materials challenging then I recommend you try looking at Khan Academy and a YouTube channel called MathBFF for the topics you're struggling with. I found both of these essential for being able to go straight to MST124 rather than studying MU123, which is also an option if you feel unprepared for MST124.

I hope you'll do well with your studies. MST124 has been my favourite module by far, despite (or perhaps because of) the challenge, and I hope you enjoy it too.
Reply 4
Original post by Urist
I've just finished MST124 with my exam yesterday. Physically, the books are basically just the same as the PDFs although I personally enjoy working from a physical book more than a PDF.

You get tutorials although I only attended one as I did not find it very helpful. The website contains many useful resources however, like videos with tutors thoroughly explaining and working through examples (the ones marked with a play button in the textbook), practice quizzes on each unit, exercise booklets for each unit with solutions, and forums where you can discuss problems with other students and tutors. You can also contact your tutor directly to ask for help and in my experience they'll usually get back to you within 24 hours.

If you're finding the MST124 materials challenging then I recommend you try looking at Khan Academy and a YouTube channel called MathBFF for the topics you're struggling with. I found both of these essential for being able to go straight to MST124 rather than studying MU123, which is also an option if you feel unprepared for MST124.

I hope you'll do well with your studies. MST124 has been my favourite module by far, despite (or perhaps because of) the challenge, and I hope you enjoy it too.

Thanks for your reply!

Very reassuring to hear of all the additional help that's there if/when its needed.

I'll sub to your suggested youtube channel, I've got a few that have been useful but the more the better! Khan academy I had been working my way through but I decided to make a start on MST124 which began to take up all of my free time. I'll get back onto Khan academy as I did find it very useful!

To be honest, I have never had much of a passion for maths but through my time with MST124 so far (albeit the early stages) I have actually enjoyed maths for the first time in my life. I'm sure you can appreciate how rewarding it feels cracking something that until then had been a struggle.

I would like to avoid MU123 if possible as it will only further delay the pursuit of my Physics degree, I realise i'm taking the more difficult route but I certainly haven't made the decision to undertake a degree expecting it to me easy.

Thank you again and I wish you all the best with future studies!

Dave
Reply 5
Original post by Davew3000
Thanks for your reply!

Very reassuring to hear of all the additional help that's there if/when its needed.

I'll sub to your suggested youtube channel, I've got a few that have been useful but the more the better! Khan academy I had been working my way through but I decided to make a start on MST124 which began to take up all of my free time. I'll get back onto Khan academy as I did find it very useful!

To be honest, I have never had much of a passion for maths but through my time with MST124 so far (albeit the early stages) I have actually enjoyed maths for the first time in my life. I'm sure you can appreciate how rewarding it feels cracking something that until then had been a struggle.

I would like to avoid MU123 if possible as it will only further delay the pursuit of my Physics degree, I realise i'm taking the more difficult route but I certainly haven't made the decision to undertake a degree expecting it to me easy.

Thank you again and I wish you all the best with future studies!

Dave

If you have a specific problem, you can always email your tutor in advance of a tutorial and ask them to cover this. If you can't do that then they will be happy to answer queries at the end of their planned tutorial.

Quick Reply

Latest