The Student Room Group

My father signed a contract that he cannot follow with the landlord. Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
But that doesn't prove the damages were there beforehand...date stamp or not, the damage has literally already been done. That would be good future advice but useless for now.

Yes, I was highlighting good advice for renting in the future. As you say, it's of no help chat so ever in this situation.
Original post by Elivercury
Yes, I was highlighting good advice for renting in the future. As you say, it's of no help chat so ever in this situation.

They need to never do this again, they need to read before they sign and if they need help with English or legal papers contact a professional. Council will do it for free. They need to go to environmental health if it's a private landlord. The situation honestly is simple, it's up to op to step in and implore his/her folks to take everyone's advice. And yes the photos are useless at this point.
Original post by 0to100
But that doesn't prove the damages were there beforehand...date stamp or not, the damage has literally already been done. That would be good future advice but useless for now.

You dont know what any claim might be from the LL yet and you dont know what the tenancy agreement says. It provides a start date. We dont even know when the tenancy started. It sounds as though its very recent and they have just moved in.
In such a situation it limits the wondow of opportunity in which the LL can make any claims of subsequent damage.
This is the value of interviewing someone.
Original post by 999tigger
You dont know what any claim might be from the LL yet and you dont know what the tenancy agreement says. It provides a start date. We dont even know when the tenancy started. It sounds as though its very recent and they have just moved in.
In such a situation it limits the wondow of opportunity in which the LL can make any claims of subsequent damage.
This is the value of interviewing someone.

No. You don't know who's moving in, they could very well have damaged something soon? Especially with children as scapegoats.

And interviewing who? Screening before they let you move in or? I say this is the value of reporting them to their council's environmental health dept if this guy is a private landlord and most likely is. They'll seize the property if anything unethical or illegal is happening to the tenants. Meantime they're stipulated by that contract they foolishly signed I'm afraid.
Original post by 0to100
Yea I knew it, you're not native English speakers! So they took advantage of you! :\ You could try going to council honestly this is ****ed up. Are you citizens?

We will be citizens next year.
Original post by 0to100
No. You don't know who's moving in, they could very well have damaged something soon? Especially with children as scapegoats.

And interviewing who? Screening before they let you move in or? I say this is the value of reporting them to their council's environmental health dept if this guy is a private landlord and most likely is. They'll seize the property if anything unethical or illegal is happening to the tenants. Meantime they're stipulated by that contract they foolishly signed I'm afraid.

Are you actually a lawyer? If I had a client coming to me then I would appreciate seeing the photos as evidence of the issue causing concern and also to use as defensive evidence against any claims beind this the LL may seek to make. An examination of the pictures could provide probide further insight into whther the damage was recent or old.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
We will be citizens next year.

Yea see you're not even citizens, I knew it lol well again go to the environmental health dept at your local council. Idk where you are but google "environmental health council landlord" just like that, including your area, and the keywords should bring up where you need to go as far as location. If you don't report you'll have to deal with this. Or move. Best thing for you to do if you seriously know your family is being victimised or taken advantage of, or if you don't know at all, both cases would best call for a professional intervention. That's all I can say mate, good luck.
Thank you all for your advice, I will be showing this thread to my parents and will update if everything's sorted out :smile:
Original post by 0to100
Lmao how'd you get out of that one?

'Here is a datestamped photo of the meter when we moved in, also this bill is for a period we weren't living here'
Are you actually a lawyer?

Are you? I just know what to do in this case.
Original post by 0to100
Yea see you're not even citizens, I knew it lol well again go to the environmental health dept at your local council. Idk where you are but google "environmental health council landlord" just like that, including your area, and the keywords should bring up where you need to go as far as location. If you don't report you'll have to deal with this. Or move. Best thing for you to do if you seriously know your family is being victimised or taken advantage of, or if you don't know at all, both cases would best call for a professional intervention. That's all I can say mate, good luck.

Thanks! I will look into it.

Also, if we move, would we still have to fix everything?
Original post by natninja
'Here is a datestamped photo of the meter when we moved in, also this bill is for a period we weren't living here'

I was asking for op's sake so whatever you did you could tell them and they could try it too? Anyway you took a photo when you moved in, the op didn't. If they take the photos now it'll give them a datestamp from not when they moved in, so it proves nothing but good for you for thinking to do it soon as.
Original post by 0to100
Are you? I just know what to do in this case.

Possibly and possiblu an advice worker, but dont let that stop you.

Requiring a tenant to make repairs to any of :

the property’s structure and exterior

basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains

heating and hot water

gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation

electrical wiring

is illegal so you're exempt from the windows at any rate. The furniture, if you can prove it was broken when you moved in, shouldn't be an issue as the landlord can only charge you for damages during your tenancy that are not 'reasonable wear and tear' - if the contract tries to waive this, it's probably illegal.

We have to fix the fence, does this count as exterior?

It depends what the damage is and who has done it.
How long have you lived there? Who did the damage?
I linked you to the bits which shows you what things you are responsible for as tenants and what the LL must deal with.
(edited 7 years ago)
We have to fix the fence, does this count as exterior?

Yes, they cannot require you to fix the fence unless you, your family or visitors that were not trespassing broke it.
Are you actually a lawyer? If I had a client coming to me then I would appreciate seeing the photos as evidence of the issue causing concern and also to use as defensive evidence against any claims beind this the LL may seek to make. An examination of the pictures could provide probide further insight into whther the damage was recent or old.

Calm down because you're making silly spelling mistakes.
Anyway again yes everyone knows the benefit of having photos

but again, they're completely useless in this situation. Do you understand that? Or is your ego making you hard of reading?

Possibly and possiblu an advice worker, but dont let that stop you.

Oh please :rolleyes: I won't let it "stop me" because you stay posting on this forum like you're the only who knows anything. And with all your supposed professional advice, you seem to still not comprehend that the datestamped photos are useless now because it's not going to be a date with when they moved in as they didn't take the photos when they moved in.
It depends what the damage is and who has done it.
How long have you lived there? Who did the damage?
I linked you to the bits which shows you what things you are responsible for as tenants and what the LL must deal with.

Lol he asked me, you're so desperate, go away.
I'm sure he'll ask you something soon.

If you move and you did the damage, or it's not proven that you didn't do it, because you're stipulated/signed the contract saying you're responsible for repairs, yes. You will have to. Unless you get council in beforehand or contact a professional consultant off this website to advise you properly, with papers, in person, and they tell you otherwise with documented proof that it's not your responsibility. 999tigger and I can compete all day with who is right but essentially you have to hop your bottom off here and go to an office and ask them. Either way everyone here knows this landlord is wrong. So there's a start. However you did sign that bloody contract....
Original post by 0to100
Calm down because you're making silly spelling mistakes.
Anyway again yes everyone knows the benefit of having photos

but again, they're completely useless in this situation. Do you understand that? Or is your ego making you hard of reading?

Oh please :rolleyes: I won't let it "stop me" because you stay posting on this forum like you're the only who knows anything. And with all your supposed professional advice, you seem to still not comprehend that the datestamped photos are useless now because it's not going to be a date with when they moved in as they didn't take the photos when they moved in.

I dont give a hoot about typos.
You are failing to understand the reason you collect evidence.
They arent completely useless as they give me a record of what the damage is on the date they were taken. This is useful to put together with the rest of the information when it is collected. There are still several areas that remain unknown in this case. That is why the OP needs to see someone for a proper assessment.
Yes, they cannot require you to fix the fence unless you, your family or visitors that were not trespassing broke it.

Sort of....but they signed the contract. Unethical or not, if they don't get a professional to say they don't need to fix anything, they're stuck on their own with the stipulations of the contract...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending