The Student Room Group

Best British PM since 1970

Poll

Best British Prime Minister since 1970

There's always the debate, who has been the best British Prime Minister; now its time to settle the debate in this poll.

Restricted to since 1970; who is the best British Prime Minister
Edward Heath
Harold Wilson
James Callaghan
Margaret Thatcher
John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
David Cameron

Cast your vote today!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I shall return to this poll after A2 :lol:

Spoiler

Major was good
Reply 3
I would be genuinely amazed if Callaghan got a single vote.
John Major. He contributed greatly to peace in Northern Ireland, and his tenure saw inflation, unemployment and the deficit all falling, though Clarke has to take much of the credit for the latter achievement. Indeed, the best thing that can be said about Blair's first term is that he emulated the successful economic policies of the Major government.

Major was competent, and only lost because New Labour had a better image than the then Tory party which was viewed as sleazy and divided.
Who the hell said brown...

Only one labour vote so far is interesting.
More Brown than Blair currently.

Must be Iraq dragging him down.
Wilson, best PM since Attlee imo
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
John Major. He contributed greatly to peace in Northern Ireland, and his tenure saw inflation, unemployment and the deficit all falling, though Clarke has to take much of the credit for the latter achievement. Indeed, the best thing that can be said about Blair's first term is that he emulated the successful economic policies of the Major government.

Major was competent, and only lost because New Labour had a better image than the then Tory party which was viewed as sleazy and divided.

*Cough* Black Wednesday *cough*

For anyone who thinks Major was a good Prime Minister watch a documentary on youtube called 'Black Wednesday'. We only started to recover in 1992 after we did what Major didn't want to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cameron . he gave us

an av referendum
scottish referendum
Eu referendum

That can't be beaten
Original post by meenu89

For anyone who thinks Major was a good Prime Minister watch a documentary on youtube called 'Black Wednesday'. We only started to recover in 1992 after we did what Major didn't want to do.

Black Wednesday paved the way for that shift of policy and subsequent revival, so was arguably a good thing. It was only 1 year into his premiership as well. He definitely left the country in a better financial position than when he entered downing street.
Original post by democracyforum
Cameron . he gave us

an av referendum
scottish referendum
Eu referendum

That can't be beaten

It's the first I've heard of judging a Prime Minister solely by the extent of what direct democratic mediums they've brought in. If you take one glance at the recent budgets it's fair to say a few referenda can be rebuked.
I voted for Wilson.
I voted for EDWARD HEATH.

a) He took us into the EU
b) He realised the Miners were the key before Thatcher (he won the POPULAR election on this by VOTES except Scottish votes at that time counted double so Harold Wilson won the ACTUAL election (but got less votes))
c) First time we could have an Prime Minister who might be gay.
d) He just seemed a nice chap.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
We've had a pretty good run since Callaghan really. Gordon Brown is the only stand-out failure there, but his heart was probably in the right place: he's was just shockingly bad at actual politics.

I picked Blair, despite being a Tory, because I'm controversial like that. Innit.
Original post by meenu89

I would argue that's more down to thatcher than major, she's the one that brought us into the ERM on bad terms, major merely oversaw the problems it caused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blair. By a distance too.
The white heat of technology.
Reply 18
Original post by adam9317
There's always the debate, who has been the best British Prime Minister; now its time to settle the debate in this poll.

Restricted to since 1970; who is the best British Prime Minister
Edward Heath
Harold Wilson
James Callaghan
Margaret Thatcher
John Major
Tony Blair
Gordon Brown
David Cameron

Cast your vote today!

Thatcher was a great Prime Minister but unfortunately I would have to pick Blair
Reply 19
Tony blair without Iraq

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending