The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For those retaking OCR Physics/Chemistry, or any other specification which is changing to a newer one this year, the grade boundaries are gonna be set up as an average across all the previous years. I am not sure if it is gonna be fixed, but I think they are gonna use this as an initial point and then move it down (only down) if it happens that less people get high grades this year; I know for sure that they are not gonna make the grade boundaries higher though. This is so they can stabilise them (not have A grade at full UMS) due to A2 students taking AS exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you guys control your nerves, even though you have a lot riding on those exams?

I would really appreciate the responses😦☺
Original post by justthatboy
How do you guys control your nerves, even though you have a lot riding on those exams?

I would really appreciate the responses😦☺

That's something that's always playing on my mind but the only way I can control the nerves is to remind myself routinely that if I don't get revision done and don't get my grades, then I would only have myself to blame. This is what's motivating me to get lots of revision and practice done, so that even if I miss out on the grades I still know that I put in a lot of effort and tried my best.
Original post by Insight314
For those retaking OCR Physics/Chemistry, or any other specification which is changing to a newer one this year, the grade boundaries are gonna be set up as an average across all the previous years. I am not sure if it is gonna be fixed, but I think they are gonna use this as an initial point and then move it down (only down) if it happens that less people get high grades this year; I know for sure that they are not gonna make the grade boundaries higher though. This is so they can stabilise them (not have A grade at full UMS) due to A2 students taking AS exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? How do you know this?
Original post by Serine Soul
Really? How do you know this?

Principal of my school, who is also my school's A-level Chemistry teacher, called OCR. I think it is around 48 for an A in Chemistry Unit 1 using this criteria.
Principal of my school, who is also my school's A-level Chemistry teacher, called OCR. I think it is around 48 for an A in Chemistry Unit 1 using this criteria.

Seems like a good system, it's much easier to predict what you'll get in the actual exam :redface:
Seems like a good system, it's much easier to predict what you'll get in the actual exam :redface:

Yep. How did you find Unit 1 Chemistry OCR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did F321 last year, didn't need to resit this year :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a piece of piss really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
It was a piece of piss really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Full UMS?
I'm old spec. Did F321 last year, didn't need to resit this year :smile:

Oh, all right. I forgot I am talking to a Cambridge offer-holder haha. :biggrin: I am sitting it for the first time this year because I didn't take any AS exams last year.

They made it more difficult this year since it is only A2 who take it. I think I lost 14 marks, which is a high B (2 marks off an A). I know, that is pretty awful for Unit 1 but Chemistry is not really on my offer. Not that I am not aiming for A in Chemistry, but I should concentrate more on Physics, Further Maths and STEP. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Full UMS?

He is a wasteman, he doesn't do Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, all right. I forgot I am talking to a Cambridge offer-holder haha. :biggrin: I am sitting it for the first time this year because I didn't take any AS exams last year.

They made it more difficult this year since it is only A2 who take it. I think I lost 14 marks, which is a high B (2 marks off an A). I know, that is pretty awful for Unit 1 but Chemistry is not really on my offer. Not that I am not aiming for A in Chemistry, but I should concentrate more on Physics, Further Maths and STEP. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! Guess I don't come off as one, or maybe you haven't realised I've changed my username yet :ninja:

Yeah my friends were resitting this year and said it was much more difficult than last year. Don't worry about it if it's not on your offer and focus on that STEP more than anything else :yes:
He is a wasteman, he doesn't do Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did do it at AS I think..
He did do it at AS I think..

He got negative UMS iirc
Actuality is that I got 300/300 like cobalt and all other natskis pple.
I got onto the international chemical team aswell as physics 1(I'm Krollo)
I decided to do maths coz it wiz easy. I rejected the maths olympiad team coz it was too much work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! Guess I don't come off as one, or maybe you haven't realised I've changed my username yet :ninja:

Yeah my friends were resitting this year and said it was much more difficult than last year. Don't worry about it if it's not on your offer and focus on that STEP more than anything else :yes:

No, not that you don't come off as an offer-holder, it is just that I go to a school with no Cambridge offer-holders except me so it's usually pretty reasonable when I ask one of my mates about their UMS last year, whereas when I ask on this thread it is kind of pointless since everyone has high 90s UMS average haha.

I put more work into the subjects I need for my offer compared to the other ones, but I still want to get an A in Chemistry so I haven't given up on it. I usually have the day before a Chemistry exam only for revision on that exam, so will see how it goes. Either way, it shouldn't really matter for Cambridge but I love Chemistry so I am doing this for myself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Full UMS?

Yeh of course. Man is bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile