The Student Room Group

Is taking Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care a terrible mistake??

I'm in year 11 currently, taking my GCSE's and taking my a level options.
I'm not 100% definate about what I want to do later in life, but I know I want to do something involving people and helping people. Whether that be children eg childcare or phycology.

At my school which I plan to attend 6th form the option choices are shockingly unvaried.

I want to study; Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care and an extended project because they all look so interesting. However I want to attend university - studying something following this lead such as health and social care etc (not researched in detail yet). So do these options show too much of a lack of variety?? And Health and Social care is obviously a vocational a level (a full a level but includes more practical skills and work experience) so does it look too much as easy options???

I could do computer science, which I have done at GCSE as I enjoyed the coursework but I struggle with the theory drastically and find it incredibly dull. My best subject at the moment is maths which I enjoy but I'm not good enough to take as an a level because I understand how difficult this would be.

I also would consider taking 4 but I would love to take an extended project as I would love that sense of freedom and also I think I will struggle enough with a levels as it is so i think it would be a good, less-stressful option.

I am not struggling drastically with GCSE's may i point out (I'm not stupid!!), my targets are all A's and B's which i feel i can reach, apart from English lit which i struggle with. I am just very interested in society and psychology and feel they would be very enjoyable option choices for me.

But obviously this is not my priority and i would love to attend uni post-year 13.

Any help would be massively appreciated and thankyou in advanced for any replies!
I think if you did biology instead of sociology it'd be better but overall you should look at the University requirements and see what they ask for
Well the subject combination doesn't look like it would be favoured a lot many universities but it really depends on the course you want to do. You should check out different uni websites and their course pages with the suggested A levels and entry requirements.
Reply 3
Original post by Hevachan
I think if you did biology instead of sociology it'd be better but overall you should look at the University requirements and see what they ask for

Thanks for the reply! but all uni's say various things, the university of Winchester just requires experience in the field of health and social. But all unis say that a variety of subjects is preffered, but are these options varied?? I mean psychology is a science, sociology is essay based and health and social care is vocational so i don't know?

And I could take biology - it is my preffered over the other sciences but in general I am terrible at science! Although that is influenced by the fact i have had horrifically bad teachers over the past 2 years.
Original post by gcsemily
Thanks for the reply! but all uni's say various things, the university of Winchester just requires experience in the field of health and social. But all unis say that a variety of subjects is preffered, but are these options varied?? I mean psychology is a science, sociology is essay based and health and social care is vocational so i don't know?

And I could take biology - it is my preffered over the other sciences but in general I am terrible at science! Although that is influenced by the fact i have had horrifically bad teachers over the past 2 years.

I do Psychology, Sociology and Film and I have offers from Cardiff and Birmingham among others, you should be fine :smile: Take subjects you know you'll enjoy and you'll find these two years much easier - trust me I spent a year doing subjects I didn't like and was punished for it :tongue: Especially as they are related to the field you want to follow!

Psychology is a lot of hard work but I've found it to be interesting. If you have a good memory - there are a lot of studies to remember - you will do well. The exam questions are quite structured so as long as you know the structure the exam can't go too far wrong.

Sociology is probably my favourite subject not gonna lie - and my Psych teacher would kill me if she knew I was saying this :tongue: I like it so much I'm now planing on doing it joint hons at university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, it is. Psychology is probably the only subject that is even considered at a 'hard' level or recognized. And it is considered a piece of cake for students who take harder subjects like sciences. I actually felt insulted doing this year's paper, that is how easy it is.

if you are looking for a chill life in the next 2 year without doing stuff, then go for it. If you want a decent future, rethink and change.

Fair enough :smile: id the courses you're interested in are happy with those choices then go for it! I do health and social care at Chester University and I love it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by emiloujess
I do Psychology, Sociology and Film and I have offers from Cardiff and Birmingham among others, you should be fine :smile: Take subjects you know you'll enjoy and you'll find these two years much easier - trust me I spent a year doing subjects I didn't like and was punished for it :tongue: Especially as they are related to the field you want to follow!

Psychology is a lot of hard work but I've found it to be interesting. If you have a good memory - there are a lot of studies to remember - you will do well. The exam questions are quite structured so as long as you know the structure the exam can't go too far wrong.

Sociology is probably my favourite subject not gonna lie - and my Psych teacher would kill me if she knew I was saying this :tongue: I like it so much I'm now planing on doing it joint hons at university.

Congratulations on the offers!! and yes exactly that's what I want to avoid haha! Do you find a big overlap between the two subjects? Like are they very similar in what you learn?? and I'm assuming you wernt at too much of a disadvantage which is good!! but then film does show a different aspect which health and social dosnt:/ and I'm assuming you got some as levels for these options you took last year? which I cant get.. sigh. this is difficult
Reply 8
Original post by Hevachan
Fair enough :smile: id the courses you're interested in are happy with those choices then go for it! I do health and social care at Chester University and I love it :smile:

Ah see I just don't know! I don't know if it shows enough diversity.. Which a levels did you do if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 9
Original post by alevez2ez
Yes, it is. Psychology is probably the only subject that is even considered at a 'hard' level or recognized. And it is considered a piece of cake for students who take harder subjects like sciences. I actually felt insulted doing this year's paper, that is how easy it is.

if you are looking for a chill life in the next 2 year without doing stuff, then go for it. If you want a decent future, rethink and change.

But how will doing different 'harder' a levels - which I will most likely struggle with, help me if they arnt connected to my career choice at all? - this is a genuine question not me trying to be rude
Congratulations on the offers!! and yes exactly that's what I want to avoid haha! Do you find a big overlap between the two subjects? Like are they very similar in what you learn?? and I'm assuming you wernt at too much of a disadvantage which is good!! but then film does show a different aspect which health and social dosnt:/ and I'm assuming you got some as levels for these options you took last year? which I cant get.. sigh. this is difficult

Thanks :smile: Cardiff is my firm. There's a slight overlap especially in research methods because it's basically the same which saves revision I guess haha! My teachers have a friendly debate going on as to which is the better subject :tongue: Film actually goes surprisingly well with both Psych and Soc - we have studied both Freud and Postmodernism in our films.

Well I took Bio, Chem, Maths and Psych and got EUUE respectively - serves me right for taking 3 subjects I hated which made the 4th one suffer too. If you enjoy health and social then take it, although I've heard that it's a mix of Bio, Psych and Soc so you may get a big overlap. Are there any other options you like the look of? :smile:

Edit: don't listen to people who tell you that Sociology is 'soft' - it's a lot harder than it seems!
(edited 7 years ago)
But how will doing different 'harder' a levels - which I will most likely struggle with, help me if they arnt connected to my career choice at all? - this is a genuine question not me trying to be rude

Your career option is psychology right? Better take Biology.
I'm not 100% definate about what I want to do later in life, but I know I want to do something involving people and helping people. Whether that be children eg childcare or phycology.

At my school which I plan to attend 6th form the option choices are shockingly unvaried.

I want to study; Psychology, Sociology and Health and Social Care and an extended project because they all look so interesting. However I want to attend university - studying something following this lead such as health and social care etc (not researched in detail yet). So do these options show too much of a lack of variety?? And Health and Social care is obviously a vocational a level (a full a level but includes more practical skills and work experience) so does it look too much as easy options???

I could do computer science, which I have done at GCSE as I enjoyed the coursework but I struggle with the theory drastically and find it incredibly dull. My best subject at the moment is maths which I enjoy but I'm not good enough to take as an a level because I understand how difficult this would be.

I also would consider taking 4 but I would love to take an extended project as I would love that sense of freedom and also I think I will struggle enough with a levels as it is so i think it would be a good, less-stressful option.

I am not struggling drastically with GCSE's may i point out (I'm not stupid!!), my targets are all A's and B's which i feel i can reach, apart from English lit which i struggle with. I am just very interested in society and psychology and feel they would be very enjoyable option choices for me.

But obviously this is not my priority and i would love to attend uni post-year 13.

Any help would be massively appreciated and thankyou in advanced for any replies!

I'm doing Psychology, Maths and Sociology. They're difficult, don't underestimate them but I don't see a problem with your subjects.
Ah see I just don't know! I don't know if it shows enough diversity.. Which a levels did you do if you don't mind me asking?

Psychology (c) , biology (only got a D) and ethics & philosophy (b) :smile:
I'm currently in my last year of a-levels after doing psychology, health and social care, sociology and law. I've applied to do psychology with criminology in university - All 5 university's I've applied to gave me an offer. I would research a little more into what you want to do in university as some don't like a health and social care as a a-level but generally its accepted. And health and social is a great a level because at least at my college its half coursework which is great when exams come around. At college you've got to do subjects you enjoy because they are not easy. You also want to look into doing some placement work when you are 18 as some courses such as a social work degree require it. As long as you actually do your extended project and work hard on it you will be just fine getting into uni.

I do sociology , health and social care and English at A level. They're all complementary of one another. I wouldn't suggest sociology and psychology together as people usually moan about their work load. Ice got offers from all five university choices, and uni of Manchester is my first studying sociology and criminology. Definitely recommend sociology though it's so good, and complements health and social near exam period.
Hi! I know this was three years ago but I'm curious about how things turned out because I currently take these A-level subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest