The Student Room Group

Non sciences students. Getting annoyed easily. How to stop whining. [help]

First of all, I would like to state that all my friends doing non-sciences are literally done with their exams and are just waiting for S1 which is on 15June (edexcel) while all the students who take sciences (the real ones : chem bio phy) had like 4 days in a row of all the hardest subject exams and will probably have it agian.

I have friends, usually girls who complain about how hard their subjects and how A levels is the most stressful thing ever & they are doing like Business, Psychology and Drama. One of them in a discussion said that Business is the hardest A level subject ever.. this actually triggered me. I know I sound like a total whiner, which I am.. but having done 6 AS subjects, 2 of which I do not count, because I don't feel I made any effort in them.

I did Business AS with my GCSE Busienss when I was in year 11. I also did Psychology AS as a side subject to my other 4 because I felt it will increase my options. These were the most easiest subjects I had done..& I'm sure drama isn't that hard either but pardon me for my arrogance.

While subjects such as chemistry A2 is no joke, and no social science/humanities subject is even remotely harder compared to it.

To add in the end, just a thought that had popped in my mind earlier, if the subjects are too flexible and the world liberates more. Then most people will start sticking with social sciences because real sciences are much tougher and thus will decrease the advances in technology. It's basically like the economy would advance but the world would not.
Thanks for readin!

fetywap
(edited 7 years ago)
Trust me, no A Level is easy, we all have different learning styles, I'm not arty so I'm bad at Art and Business bores me so I'm not going to go and do that as a subject. It's not up to you to judge whether or not STEM is better than non STEM, this snobbery has got to stop. Try doing English at A Level then you can talk. A lot of STEM students choose to do STEM subjects because they hate essay based subjects or struggle in them, so wouldn't English/Psychology be hard to them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Rhythmical
Trust me, no A Level is easy, we all have different learning styles, I'm not arty so I'm bad at Art and Business bores me so I'm not going to go and do that as a subject. It's not up to you to judge whether or not STEM is better than non STEM, this snobbery has got to stop. Try doing English at A Level then you can talk. A lot of STEM students choose to do STEM subjects because they hate essay based subjects or struggle in them, so wouldn't English/Psychology be hard to them?

My friend does English A level and he laughs at me, calling me a retard for choosing those subjects.

There is a general census that sciences are the hardest A level so while all these 'different learning style, different opinions'..there falls a standard agreement which is the mean.

Why don't you find the standard deviation of those who agree and those who don't before you call it all an act of snoberry to the right and to the left. The ones who take it and the ones who don't and what they really think.
Reply 3
And while you will probably not agree to accepting this as another proof of my statement because of the 'different learning style, different skills'. I got A in both Business and Psychology with barely studying. An A in Business while doing it during my GCSEs.

Oh well, I will not try to convince you because you are entitled to your opinion.
Original post by alevez2ez
My friend does English A level and he laughs at me, calling me a retard for choosing those subjects.

There is a general census that sciences are the hardest A level so while all these 'different learning style, different opinions'..there falls a standard agreement which is the mean.

Why don't you find the standard deviation of those who agree and those who don't before you call it all an act of snoberry to the right and to the left. The ones who take it and the ones who don't and what they really think.

What you are doing is snobbery, STEM isn't better, and yes those subjects do mean different learning styles. People doing STEM are likely to be logical thinkers as opposed to Humanities students who are deep thinkers and creative. It is incredibly funny because I'm a Humanities student but on my gap year next year I'll be doing STEM subjects in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and Physics/Maths maybe and while I like STEM, I don't think you can say a subject is harder than the other, it depends on the individual.
Reply 5
Original post by Rhythmical
What you are doing is snobbery, STEM isn't better, and yes those subjects do mean different learning styles. People doing STEM are likely to be logical thinkers as opposed to Humanities students who are deep thinkers and creative. It is incredibly funny because I'm a Humanities student but on my gap year next year I'll be doing STEM subjects in Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and Physics/Maths maybe and while I like STEM, I don't think you can say a subject is harder than the other, it depends on the individual.

I did both. I did no whatsoever deep thinking and managed to get A in humanities.Nice to hear that you'll be doing STEM subjects. You're gonna be doing AS? Then we'll have to wait 2 years for you to do A2 Chemistry to then admit that it is much harder than any other subjects you took. Oh well! I knew you didn't do STEM subjects because you wouldn't be disagreeing otherwise.

So yeah... I'd like to welcome you in advance to my side.
I did both. I did no whatsoever deep thinking and managed to get A in humanities.Nice to hear that you'll be doing STEM subjects. You're gonna be doing AS? Then we'll have to wait 2 years for you to do A2 Chemistry to then admit that it is much harder than any other subjects you took. Oh well! I knew you didn't do STEM subjects because you wouldn't be disagreeing otherwise.

So yeah... I'd like to welcome you in advance to my side.

Nope, with the new spec I can do it in a year, the AS exams now are pretty much pointless except for predicted grades and yeah I guess I have a different view to others as I'm planning to go to STEM, if I hadn't considered it then my argument would be stronger and thanks I guess.
And believe me, humanities students are just as annoyed at your arrogance and snobbery. Neither are better than the other, in fact, they have something of a symbiotic relationship. You can build amazingly advanced weapons and technology but you need social and political knowledge so that people will have the sense to use it properly. We need social scientists to discover that knowledge for us, and in turn society will evolve at the same rate as its technology. You wouldn't give a gun to a toddler, so why let socially and culturally ignorant human beings handle dangerous technology which can destroy entire cities? Also, any girls reading this who are STEM students; you might not be studying to be scientists and engineers if it weren't for social scientists who analysed and successfully argued against the roots of sexism decades ago. We need social scientists. :smile:
Reply 8
First of all, I would like to state that all my friends doing non-sciences are literally done with their exams and are just waiting for S1 which is on 15June (edexcel) while all the students who take sciences (the real ones : chem bio phy) had like 4 days in a row of all the hardest subject exams and will probably have it agian.

I have friends, usually girls who complain about how hard their subjects and how A levels is the most stressful thing ever & they are doing like Business, Psychology and Drama. One of them in a discussion said that Business is the hardest A level subject ever.. this actually triggered me. I know I sound like a total whiner, which I am.. but having done 6 AS subjects, 2 of which I do not count, because I don't feel I made any effort in them.

I did Business AS with my GCSE Busienss when I was in year 11. I also did Psychology AS as a side subject to my other 4 because I felt it will increase my options. These were the most easiest subjects I had done..& I'm sure drama isn't that hard either but pardon me for my arrogance.

While subjects such as chemistry A2 is no joke, and no social science/humanities subject is even remotely harder compared to it.

To add in the end, just a thought that had popped in my mind earlier, if the subjects are too flexible and the world liberates more. Then most people will start sticking with social sciences because real sciences are much tougher and thus will decrease the advances in technology. It's basically like the economy would advance but the world would not.
Thanks for readin!

fetywap

This is an interesting comment. One can interpret that you appear to be confident in your views. However, one cannot interpret that prestigious universities including Exeter have stated that A Level requirements for biological sciences are AAB. The A Level requirements for Psychology are AAA. I have looked at other universities. This is a fact and evidence can be found on university websites. Since you appear to be confident in your views, can you explain why psychology asks for higher grades if it is as easy as you propose? Also, I have much respect for other science subjects and also argue that they are respectable as well as difficult.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest