The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

I've just been reading about a British man convicted of abusing very young children abroad. I'm talking about the rape of babies, among other sick offences.He faces life in prison. Is this proper punishment? Do paedophiles deserve to be put to death? I have just started an online petition calling for the Death Penalty to be reinstated by the UK Govt. No chance of it happening,sadly. Just wondered what people on here thought?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by markova21
I've just been reading about a British man convicted of abusing very young children abroad. I'm talking about the rape of babies, among other sick offences.He faces life in prison. Is this proper punishment? Do paedophiles deserve to be put to death? I have just started an online petition calling for the Death Penalty to be reinstated by the UK Govt. No chance of it happening,sadly. Just wondered what people on here thought?

It's a mental disorder, so I'm not sure if death is the appropriate action to take. Life in prison is pretty justified. What will death achieve as opposed to life in prison?
I think that that, rape and murder that can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt should have that. However, if it is not 100% certain you could potentially be killing somebody who is innocent.
Death is too good for them
No death penalty should remain abolished.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Reply 6
Original post by hezzlington
It's a mental disorder, so I'm not sure if death is the appropriate action to take. Life in prison is pretty justified. What will death achieve as opposed to life in prison?

People on Twitter have been reacting very angrily to it,as you would understand. People saying he needs to be executed. As I did too. Hence the reason for trying to set up the petition. It needs 5 sponsors to also sign it though for it to go live. Most of my friends I have spoken to ,asking them to consider signing my petition are opposed to it, in every circumstance. I guess it is human nature ,not only to be angry,but to also want our "pound of flesh". Just wondered what people on here thought about the Death Penalty for the very worst kind of paedos like this British man abroad.
People on Twitter have been reacting very angrily to it,as you would understand. People saying he needs to be executed. As I did too. Hence the reason for trying to set up the petition. It needs 5 sponsors to also sign it though for it to go live. Most of my friends I have spoken to ,asking them to consider signing my petition are opposed to it, in every circumstance. I guess it is human nature ,not only to be angry,but to also want our "pound of flesh". Just wondered what people on here thought about the Death Penalty for the very worst kind of paedos like this British man abroad.

It's quite sick and twisted in my opinion to actively call for somebodies execution..
Reply 8
In my humble opinion; we should be exploring the reasons behind paedophilia and trying to rehabilitate those who suffer from the disorder. It's absolutely vile and the those guilty of it deserve to be locked up for a very long time but when did killing anyone ever achieve anything?
Reply 9
I don't suppose it actually achieves anything. Except to make people feel just a little bit better. Why do you think many states in the US have it? It doesn't halt or stop it. It isn't a deterrent. But if anyone had laid a hand or anything else on my son when he was a little boy [he's now 19] I would have probably taken a knife to him myself. I'm quite sure i'm not alone in feeling that way either. Certainly not among parents.
I don't suppose it actually achieves anything. Except to make people feel just a little bit better. Why do you think many states in the US have it? It doesn't halt or stop it. It isn't a deterrent. But if anyone had laid a hand or anything else on my son when he was a little boy [he's now 19] I would have probably taken a knife to him myself. I'm quite sure i'm not alone in feeling that way either. Certainly not among parents.

Does it though? Does it make the victim feel any better?

Death is the easy way out for these guys.

Pedophiles are very unpopular in prisons....
Reply 11

Exactly this. It isn't a deterrant. People still commit murders in states that have it.
He doesn't deserve getting bummed for the rest of his life, he'd enjoy it.

He should be locked in a room with a rope. He either kills himself, or waits till he dies of dehydration.
They're sick individuals but I feel the death penalty should be reserved for those who actually commit murder.
Original post by hezzlington

I hate when people justify rapists and murderers by saying they have a mental disorder.

Many people have paedophilia but don't act on their thoughts.

He's a sick ****, don't give him sympathy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Deyesy
In my humble opinion; we should be exploring the reasons behind paedophilia and trying to rehabilitate those who suffer from the disorder. It's absolutely vile and the those guilty of it deserve to be locked up for a very long time but when did killing anyone ever achieve anything?

How many millions of pounds of taxpayer's money would that cost? There is no guarantee it would even work. Yes, there are probably some who can be rehabilitated. But not all of them. How would we distinguish which ones to "treat"? Or do we try and treat them all ,at considerable cost? Why should the public continue having to pay for vermin to spend their lives in prison?
Reply 16
How many millions of pounds of taxpayer's money would that cost? There is no guarantee it would even work. Yes, there are probably some who can be rehabilitated. But not all of them. How would we distinguish which ones to "treat"? Or do we try and treat them all ,at considerable cost? Why should the public continue having to pay for vermin to spend their lives in prison?

How do you plan on determining who should die and who should? :s-smilie: You do realise aswell it would cost public money to execute someone; it isn't free.

You also didn't try and counter my arguement murders being committed murders in states that have the death penalty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy

he was deemed sane he just had a twisted desire for babies and children and wrote a book for other predators to bypass the law! he is the definition of evil and i don't agree that tax payers money should be spent on his maintenance in a "prison" where tv is permitted
Reply 18
Original post by 0to100
They're sick individuals but I feel the death penalty should be reserved for those who actually commit murder.

One thing in my opinion is worse than murder. Child sex abuse.
One thing in my opinion is worse than murder. Child sex abuse.

...Bit unreasonable, but ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending