Hi
Can anyone help me on how to do part (ii) of the question

Thanks
Original post by Marccs
Hi
Can anyone help me on how to do part (ii) of the question

Thanks

You need to use m/Mr = n to find the mass of [Cu(H20)6]2+
Then convert that into mg and then divide that by the volume of water you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by pineneedles
You need to use m/Mr = n to find the mass of [Cu(H20)6]2+
Then convert that into mg and then divide that by the volume of water you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you divide by the volume of water after working out the mg , is there an equation for this like m= mr * n
Original post by Marccs
Why do you divide by the volume of water after working out the mg , is there an equation for this like m= mr * n

It's similar to the equation we use for concentration:
C = n/v
It's just that instead of finding the concentration in terms of moles, we're finding the concentration in terms of mass.
It also helps if you look at the units they want the answer in: mgdm-3 which means mg/dm³ (mg divided by volume)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
C = n/v
It's just that instead of finding the concentration in terms of moles, we're finding the concentration in terms of mass.
It also helps if you look at the units they want the answer in: mgdm-3 which means mg/dm³ (mg divided by volume)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank You , This makes a lot of sense now
Reply 5
C = n/v

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Can you help me with this question :smile:
Original post by Marccs
Hi
Can you help me with this question :smile:

Sure thing. You're told that 8 moles of solute are needed to lower the boiling point of water to -15 °C, so all you need to do is compare the mass of 8 moles of methanol to 8 moles of 1,2-ethan-di-ol. Remember that m/Mr = n

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Sure thing. You're told that 8 moles of solute are needed to lower the boiling point of water to -15 °C, so all you need to do is compare the mass of 8 moles of methanol to 8 moles of 1,2-ethan-di-ol. Remember that m/Mr = n

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh yes I get it now
Thank you again :smile:
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
Can you help me with this question, its only part (V) I'm asking about
Thank You
Original post by Marccs
Hi
Can you help me with this question, its only part (V) I'm asking about
Thank You

So the equation shows you that one mole of sulphuric acid releases two moles of protons into solution (it is dibasic, so it requires two moles of a base to neutralise it)
[H2SO4] = 2[H+]
Does this help?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
So the equation shows you that one mole of sulphuric acid releases two moles of protons into solution (it is dibasic, so it requires two moles of a base to neutralise it)
[H2SO4] = 2[H+]
Does this help?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that it is 2 moles of H+ so is that [H+] ^2 ?
Original post by Marccs
I understand that it is 2 moles of H+ so is that [H+] ^2 ?

Not quite, I think you may be getting confused with Ka equations.
Just think about it like this:
Every molecule of sulphuric acid releases two H+ into solution. So if you have, for instance, a 0.300 moldm-3 solution of sulphuric acid, this means that the concentration of H+ ions is 0.600 moldm-3. Now, can you apply that to your question? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Not quite, I think you may be getting confused with Ka equations.
Just think about it like this:
Every molecule of sulphuric acid releases two H+ into solution. So if you have, for instance, a 0.300 moldm-3 solution of sulphuric acid, this means that the concentration of H+ ions is 0.600 moldm-3. Now, can you apply that to your question? 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that makes sense now , but why do we ignore So42- ?
Original post by Marccs
Yes that makes sense now , but why do we ignore So42- ?

Good, and we ignore that because pH is a measure of hydrogen ion concentration, SO4(2-) is irrelevant. It's just like how when you find the pH of HCl :
HCl > H+ + Cl-
We don't consider the Cl-, do we? And with a weak acid,
HCOOH <-> H+ + HCOO- we don't consider the HCOO- ion either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Good, and we ignore that because pH is a measure of hydrogen ion concentration, SO4(2-) is irrelevant. It's just like how when you find the pH of HCl :
HCl > H+ + Cl-
We don't consider the Cl-, do we? And with a weak acid,
HCOOH <-> H+ + HCOO- we don't consider the HCOO- ion either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh yeah thanks

Quick Reply

Latest