The Student Room Group

Feminism is needed.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Screwsocietyy
Most areas.

For example football. Women are banned from being in the same team as men.

Is this a joke? By the same definition men aren't allowed on women teams.

This is because men are better at football than women. Recently the women Australian national team lost 7-0 to a male u15 team of children!!! 7-0 is no small margin its massive and pro athletes that lose to school kids are not good and that is objectively true.

Therefore, if you allowed women on men's teams youd need to allow men on women's teams too and if you did that the next Women's World Cup would be won by a u15 boys team, is that what you want??

Not mixing genders is for the protection of women in football. So quit politicising everything that doesnt adhere to some bullsh't view of feminism because it actually has a function, which in this case is to actually protect the female sport.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sarkrista112
That is all well and good, however what has modern-day feminism in the West actually done for women in third world countries?

We speak out for those who can't and raise awareness. Plenty of charities go into these third world countries and help these women, which is something I plan to do in the future. Obviously me just sitting here and talking about how feminism is needed in the third world doesn't have an impact on those women's lives but it does show people that feminism IS still relevant. I think saying you do not support feminism is also disrespectful to everything feminists have done for you to live the life you have today.
Original post by lehcarbat
We speak out for those who can't and raise awareness. Plenty of charities go into these third world countries and help these women, which is something I plan to do in the future. Obviously me just sitting here and talking about how feminism is needed in the third world doesn't have an impact on those women's lives but it does show people that feminism IS still relevant. I think saying you do not support feminism is also disrespectful to everything feminists have done for you to live the life you have today.

Firstly, the term feminism is extremely problematic - it is an umbrella term for so many different types of feminists who have radically different views on life. So you are saying feminism as a whole actively supports the rights of these women in other countries without a voice? They're too busy inventing terms like rape culture and too busy playing the victim when they have far more legal rights than these women in places like Somalia and India. Yes, charities do, however that isn't solely a cause left to a group of people calling themselves feminists just because the victims are women.

I do not agree with what feminism has descended into, as I said before. I acknowledge that women have struggled throughout history to give women rights, and I acknowledge that. However, that is the past. What are feminists doing for me now? Absolutely nothing, they're only making me cringe.
I have a strong dislike for what modern feminism has descended into. By definition, of course it is the equality between both sexes, however it is very one sided, and that's something I do not subscribe to.

How is it one sided? As a feminist who believes in equal rights, I also believe in getting rid of gender roles, men being able to speak about their feelings and mental health without being told to "man up", men being able to have paternity leave and support for dads looking after children on their own
The media jumps on a few feminists that have the wrong idea and suddenly everyone gets put off feminism. Feminism is such a broad subject and I can tell you that the majority of women are a feminist because they support women.
You all keep saying you dislike what feminism has turned into, but someone tell me, what do you think feminism has turned into? My girl friends and I are feminists and none of us hate men and my feminist girl friends are actually the most liberal and supportive people I have ever been friends with. They support me in whatever I decide to do, they don't judge me for anything and they don't believe that a woman has to be or do anything they don't want to.
How is it one sided? As a feminist who believes in equal rights, I also believe in getting rid of gender roles, men being able to speak about their feelings and mental health without being told to "man up", men being able to have paternity leave and support for dads looking after children on their own
The media jumps on a few feminists that have the wrong idea and suddenly everyone gets put off feminism. Feminism is such a broad subject and I can tell you that the majority of women are a feminist because they support women.
You all keep saying you dislike what feminism has turned into, but someone tell me, what do you think feminism has turned into? My girl friends and I are feminists and none of us hate men and my feminist girl friends are actually the most liberal and supportive people I have ever been friends with. They support me in whatever I decide to do, they don't judge me for anything and they don't believe that a woman has to be or do anything they don't want to.

A few feminists? It is way more than a few feminists, it's sweeping campuses in the USA. See my previous reply. I'll let you reply to that one if you wish to do so and incorporate any other points I haven't answered here to avoid confusing things.
Firstly, the term feminism is extremely problematic - it is an umbrella term for so many different types of feminists who have radically different views on life. So you are saying feminism as a whole actively supports the rights of these women in other countries without a voice? They're too busy inventing terms like rape culture and too busy playing the victim when they have far more legal rights than these women in places like Somalia and India. Yes, charities do, however that isn't solely a cause left to a group of people calling themselves feminists just because the victims are women.

I do not agree with what feminism has descended into, as I said before. I acknowledge that women have struggled throughout history to give women rights, and I acknowledge that. However, that is the past. What are feminists doing for me now? Absolutely nothing, they're only making me cringe.

I don't personally know anyone that speaks about a rape culture in the west or "plays the victim", that just seems like a few feminists you may have read about or watched online in America which isn't a true representation.
Some things feminist do right now in the west is liberate women. Women and girls do feel under pressure by guys and the beauty industry to look or be a certain way and feminism works to defy that and let women know that we don't have to live up to these artificial standards. It also liberates women in the way that a lot of feminists advocate women being able to do what she wants sexually or wear what she wants, as long as she is safe.
Even though we are privileged in the west, girls can have it tough here especially growing up, as we feel pressure from all these things and we get judged much more often than men and I think feminism helps get rid of that.
Don't judge feminism by just a few feminists who get all the attention. You should watch Emma Watson's speech online. That's what feminism is.
A few feminists? It is way more than a few feminists, it's sweeping campuses in the USA. See my previous reply. I'll let you reply to that one if you wish to do so and incorporate any other points I haven't answered here to avoid confusing things.

Also, there is a very misogynistic culture in USA college campuses that we can't ignore. i can't really call it a rape culture but there is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed over there
women are still treated like second class citizens in most areas

Hear, hear! Women may have 'equality' in law, but the way some people treat women is quite frankly abhorrent.
no because then it would be too obvious

lmao what

Guess it beats the "men prefer their own company" excuse I heard but still...
Original post by lolatmaths
do tell me what you, as a feminist do to combat this apart from hate on men?

And you think victimising and generalising all men is going to stop rapes? no. Because that's what feminism is about. Its bitching about it and making rash comments without offering a practical solution.

Once again you're highlighting the stigma that feminism has created upon men.

Men have created thia stigma for themselves.

Feminism is about education. It is only through education that values and perspectives can be altered. Those women writing articles and books aren't merely *bitching*; they're informing others of their experiences and opinions to influence and challenge views. When most journalists write articles, it is informative and interesting to consider their opinions; when a feminist writes an article, she's "bitching".

Original post by frankielogue
whites who don’t support the KKK are stupid.

This is a retarded parallel to attempt. Feminists advocate equality whilst the KKK lynched and oppressed non-WASPS...
I don't personally know anyone that speaks about a rape culture in the west or "plays the victim", that just seems like a few feminists you may have read about or watched online in America which isn't a true representation.
Some things feminist do right now in the west is liberate women. Women and girls do feel under pressure by guys and the beauty industry to look or be a certain way and feminism works to defy that and let women know that we don't have to live up to these artificial standards. It also liberates women in the way that a lot of feminists advocate women being able to do what she wants sexually or wear what she wants, as long as she is safe.
Even though we are privileged in the west, girls can have it tough here especially growing up, as we feel pressure from all these things and we get judged much more often than men and I think feminism helps get rid of that.
Don't judge feminism by just a few feminists who get all the attention. You should watch Emma Watson's speech online. That's what feminism is.

It isn't merely a few feminists though, I have met my fair share of absolutely bat **** crazy feminists. Regarding your previous comment - who are you to tell those feminists that they are 'wrong'? They may find some of your interpretations of feminism as rather questionable. I find your take on feminism rather noble, however it hasn't come to represent that - women are prioritized. Feminism hasn't liberated me what so ever, I am from a developed part of the world and I have my legal rights. I have never felt under pressure by men or the beauty industry because I simply don't give a **** and I'm a very centered individual - I just think its all so petty and superfluous when compared to the struggles that women face in less developed countries. How do we have it tough here in the West? Women have just as much opportunities as men in the West, it's about personal incentive. I have just watched Emma's video, and it's a shame that a lot of other feminists do not subscribe to such an ideal reality - the only gripe I have is the wage issue she raises, but other than that she raises many worthy points.
Original post by Namita Gurung
Are you serious? I find it really annoying when people argue this point.
The only reason women footballers get paid less than men is because they, overall, have less fans than male footballers.

The pay of footballers all come down to how much attention they attract.
The only way to increase the pay of female footballers is to increase the attention given to them. Things are not as black and white as some people think it is. You can't just 'increase' the pay to make it equal as their male counterpart.

Who let you our of the kitchen?
It isn't merely a few feminists though, I have met my fair share of absolutely bat **** crazy feminists. Regarding your previous comment - who are you to tell those feminists that they are 'wrong'? They may find some of your interpretations of feminism as rather questionable. I find your take on feminism rather noble, however it hasn't come to represent that - women are prioritized. Feminism hasn't liberated me what so ever, I am from a developed part of the world and I have my legal rights. I have never felt under pressure by men or the beauty industry because I simply don't give a **** and I'm a very centered individual - I just think its all so petty and superfluous when compared to the struggles that women face in less developed countries. How do we have it tough here in the West? Women have just as much opportunities as men in the West, it's about personal incentive. I have just watched Emma's video, and it's a shame that a lot of other feminists do not subscribe to such an ideal reality - the only gripe I have is the wage issue she raises, but other than that she raises many worthy points.

I do feel like there are certain standards and expectations for women here which we need to counter with teaching young girls body positivity and self acceptance because a lot of young girls struggle with that sort of thing growing up, but you are right they are not comparable to the third world issues
I would consider you a feminist if you support the things Emma said, you just don't like the label:biggrin:
Surely you mean females are needed. All men need females.

Forgot the gays though.
100% bait
Original post by It's a Shame
Hear, hear! Women may have 'equality' in law, but the way some people treat women is quite frankly abhorrent.

True, but this treatment isn't institutional, so there's not much that can be done about it. At the end of the day, a**holes will be a**holes.
Original post by DiddyDec

Your dad's area
Original post by Little Popcorns
Your dad's area

oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Original post by Lazarus26
True, but this treatment isn't institutional, so there's not much that can be done about it. At the end of the day, a**holes will be a**holes.

Feminism, and to some extent, meninism will always need to be around in some form if attitudes are to change. I don't agree with people slating others, but there needs to be a balance.

Quick Reply

Latest