The Student Room Group

Wanting to study PPE at oxford

Does anyone else maybe want to study PPE at Oxford ???? I just wanted to know what alevels people are taking /going to take and just find out more info :smile:
Thank you :smile:
I do.
I do Politics AQA, History AQA (Industrialisation & Cold War), Chemistry OCR A and Maths Stat MEI.
I was thinking of applying to Merton (I'm quite academic not so sporty) but I had just realised that they don't offer scholarship for instruments so I'm thinking St John's/ Magadelen/Brasenose/ Wadham/New.
Nice to meet you anw :biggrin:
Worcesteeerrrrrrrrrrr :nutcase:
Maybe, not sure yet, I've done English Language and Literature, History, and Maths. If I decide to I'll have to reapply and so might do a Government and Politics A level next year.
I don't think it is necessary to do either Politics or Economics or Philosophy. Maths and History are sufficient i think so.
Original post by colourtheory

Why do you choose Worcester?
Original post by Pursing skiesss
Why do you choose Worcester?

cos it has a lake and it's pretty and I go there XD
Reply 7
I do.
I do Politics AQA, History AQA (Industrialisation & Cold War), Chemistry OCR A and Maths Stat MEI.
I was thinking of applying to Merton (I'm quite academic not so sporty) but I had just realised that they don't offer scholarship for instruments so I'm thinking St John's/ Magadelen/Brasenose/ Wadham/New.
Nice to meet you anw :biggrin:

I was thinking about doing maths , history , philosophy and ethics , and economics but my school doesn't do economics on its own you have to do business with it , which is annoying :| Are you thinking of applying for a music scholarship ?? That's cool . If I apply I think my 1st choice would be Christchurch but I wouldn't be fussed at all :biggrin: I was thinking about taking a science preferably chem or phys instead of economics but I'm not sure yet :')
Reply 8
Original post by colourtheory

I just looked at it online it's so aesthetically pleasing :biggrin:
Original post by skye99
I was thinking about doing maths , history , philosophy and ethics , and economics but my school doesn't do economics on its own you have to do business with it , which is annoying :| Are you thinking of applying for a music scholarship ?? That's cool . If I apply I think my 1st choice would be Christchurch but I wouldn't be fussed at all :biggrin: I was thinking about taking a science preferably chem or phys instead of economics but I'm not sure yet :':wink:

Christchurch is quite large college, I even went in their Junior Common Room, it is so huge that even one can have their own corners and therefore finding your own squad is needed. That is why I'm not that keen on my college as mine is also huge. I prefer medium college so =(( Are you going to the Open Day in the end of this month?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Christchurch is quite large college, I even went in their Junior Common Room, it is so huge that even one can have their own corners and therefore finding your own squad is needed. That is why I'm not that keen on my college as mine is also huge. I prefer medium college so =(( Are you going to the Open Day in the end of this month?

Yeah i might go along :smile:
I'm an offer holder for PPE and I take Maths, History, English lit and Politics at A2. My understanding of how PPE admissions tutors feel about A level choices is this:
- Nothing is compulsory. They like maths a lot though (it links to economics in an obvious way, as well as the logic aspect of philosophy). The standard offer for PPE is AAA but if you don't have maths they generally ask for A*AA and you might want to demonstrate in your personal statement that you're capable of basic maths and reasoning (although that's partly what the TSA is for).
- They also like history a lot.
- I don't think they're bothered about A level politics, philosophy, or economics. They'll only have to reteach it to you if you get in. But taking one at A level demonstrates an interest in the subject, and obviously if you like it and think you can do well in it you should take it. Basically, they neither like nor dislike these subjects.
- Aside from that, try to go for 'hard' subjects.
The most important thing is that you like and are good at your A levels, because whatever they are, you'll need to meet your offer if you get one!
Another PPE offer holder here; my A Levels are Maths, FM, Physics and Comp Sci. Agree with everything catfanatic said, the successful applicants have all sorts of subjects, and you can't go wrong with Maths or History.

Quick Reply

Latest