The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering Sheffield or Southampton?

Hi, I am currently choosing the university and I want to do mechanical engineering. University of Sheffield and University of Southampton which one is better? Thank you!
Reply 1
Anyone here?
Reply 2
Original post by shtbriker
Hi, I am currently choosing the university and I want to do mechanical engineering. University of Sheffield and University of Southampton which one is better? Thank you!

Why did you choose them in the first place? What factors are important to you? Have you visited them?? What are their offers? etc, etc, etc

The choice is yours...

(Both universities are respected for Engineering.)
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
Why did you choose them in the first place? What factors are important to you? Have you visited them?? What are their offers? etc, etc, etc

The choice is yours...

(Both universities are respected for Engineering.)

Hi, thank you for your reply. Both of them gave me conditional offer and I have visited both. Both cities are good and location does not matter for me. Actually I am concerned about the ranking and the how are the facilities. Reputation is also important. So according to those, which one do you think its better?
Reply 4
Hi, thank you for your reply. Both of them gave me conditional offer and I have visited both. Both cities are good and location does not matter for me. Actually I am concerned about the ranking and the how are the facilities. Reputation is also important. So according to those, which one do you think its better?

You can see the various rankings for yourself.

However they are not important to a future engineering employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
You can see the various rankings for yourself.

However they are not important to a future engineering employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I think so. Anyway, thank you for your help!

I go to Southampton, I can talk about the facilities, they're definitely good as we have a new engineering only campus near the uni so there are more resources. First year is a bit boring though, it only gets interesting second year on in terms of projects. Also I think one thing that Southampton does best compared to other uni's is the addition of Computation/programming into what we do, in addition to Python programming module in first semester, we designed and optimised Aerofoil shapes using programming only and I thought that was pretty cool, you probably wouldn't do it anywhere else, so if computers/programming is your thing, then you'll do a lot of it here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest