The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deyesy
It actually is a mental disorder. It's listed in the DSM-V which is like a bible for Psychiatrists.

I know what the DSM-V is but didn't know paedophilia is classed as a separate diagnosis? It just doesn't strike me as something in the same category such as depression etc. which you obviously don't choose to have. Sorry my mistake, really wasn't aware (and should be as I have a copy because I'm sad like that haha).
Original post by hezzlington
Um yes it is a mental disorder.. As Deyesy says...it's regarded as a disorder by the people who's sort of job is to classify what is and what isn't a disorder.

Though you are right it's not a mental disorder in itself but a subtype of paraphilia. I meant paedophilia isn't a diagnosis itself.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan
Though you are right it's not a mental disorder in itself but a subtype of paraphilia. I meant paedophilia isn't a diagnosis itself.

Hebephilia seems to be pretty 'normal'... among the Japanese ^^
Original post by Copperknickers
In America it is, because of the protractedness of death row, the complexity of the legal system, and the rareness of lethal injection drugs. It doesn't have to be, if we went back to cheaper methods, and used a simpler and quicker legal procedure.

More comfortable than life on the outside for many.

Such as what? 2 weeks then hung to death?
Such as what? 2 weeks then hung to death?

That would be cheaper than the ridiculous American system.
Original post by Gaya Ramanathan

What? It is? The APA say it is :dontknow:
What? It is? The APA say it is :dontknow:

That'd be why - I follow the BPS you see:smile:
Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
He doesn't deserve getting bummed for the rest of his life, he'd enjoy it.

He should be locked in a room with a rope. He either kills himself, or waits till he dies of dehydration.

First of all, "he" implies only men are paedophiles and the paedophile in question doesn't have to be gay - i.e., doesn't inherently mean he's going to like being "bummed" as you so eloquently put it.

OP - I don't think the death penalty should exist for any crimes but for child abuse, rape and murder, I believe the life imprisonment penalty should be served.
Original post by markova21
How many millions of pounds of taxpayer's money would that cost? There is no guarantee it would even work. Yes, there are probably some who can be rehabilitated. But not all of them. How would we distinguish which ones to "treat"? Or do we try and treat them all ,at considerable cost? Why should the public continue having to pay for vermin to spend their lives in prison?

I think most child molesters are probably beyond rehabilitation but still need locking up. I'm all for state-funded therapy for paedophiles who come forward for it before they've molested anyone - that seems to me to be the best way to prevent child molestation before it happens. It would be a lot easier for that sort of thing to happen if people could distinguish between paedophiles and child molesters a bit better.

As for whether they should be allowed to spend their lives in prison at all: it costs much more to humanely execute a convict than to incarcerate them for life.
Original post by Copperknickers
In America it is, because of the protractedness of death row, the complexity of the legal system, and the rareness of lethal injection drugs. It doesn't have to be, if we went back to cheaper methods, and used a simpler and quicker legal procedure.

The simpler and quicker the trial, the greater the danger of executing innocents. We should not allow our society to become any less humane on account of child molesters.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I think most child molesters are probably beyond rehabilitation but still need locking up. I'm all for state-funded therapy for paedophiles who come forward for it before they've molested anyone - that seems to me to be the best way to prevent child molestation before it happens. It would be a lot easier for that sort of thing to happen if people could distinguish between paedophiles and child molesters a bit better.

As for whether they should be allowed to spend their lives in prison at all: it costs much more to humanely execute a convict than to incarcerate them for life.

I agree with this.

Basically, there is bad and then bad that it is unrepairable. Paedophiles that haven't done anything should not be killed or locked up, instead they should have help and learn to resist their urges (like stopping smoking really).
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The simpler and quicker the trial, the greater the danger of executing innocents. We should not allow our society to become any less humane on account of child molesters.

I'm arguing Devil's Advocate to some extent, but if I would ever be in favour of capital punishment, it would be for people like this Huckle guy only. In America they execute people for ordinary murders such as armed robberies gone wrong. I would execute solely mass murderers, serial killers and prolific paedophiles, about whom there is no possible doubt of their guilt. In fact I'd be hesitant to allow it for anyone who had not killed or severely maimed multiple people and showed strong signs of intending to continue to do so indefinitely (which both apply to this guy: his exact words were 'I think only something serious will ever stop me from doing this. I can do it right now and nobody tries to stop me, so if there are no consequences why would I stop doing it?')
(edited 7 years ago)
This paedophile was a man and did rape male kids. So gtfo outta here when you don't know $hite. Pff

Sure lock them up but provide them with a rope so it's up to them to kill themselves

The question asked was not specific to any particular case, the OP simply stated that they'd been reading about one in particular, leading to the question coming up. As such, I'd say it's you who doesn't really know what they're on about. Calm down.
Personally I think that there should be no death penalty so that the idiot can suffer from boredom for the rest of their lives. Eventually they'll have to deal with depression which is what they deserve :biggrin: Bloody psychopaths.
Original post by ivybridge
The question asked was not specific to any particular case, the OP simply stated that they'd been reading about one in particular, leading to the question coming up. As such, I'd say it's you who doesn't really know what they're on about. Calm down.

No she specifically said about one who that has just been found guilty. So obviously I talked about him. Again you know nothing.
Original post by ivybridge

Man I get **** in these threads as well. Get called Rapist/pedo apologist just because i dont believe they should be killed.
No she specifically said about one who that has just been found guilty. So obviously I talked about him. Again you know nothing.

"Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?"
Original post by Screwsocietyy
I hate when people come out with this retarded statement.

Why? It is a legit statement
Man I get **** in these threads as well. Get called Rapist/pedo apologist just because i dont believe they should be killed.

It's ridiculous - one I get often is the whole "all gay men want to rape children" ********. Lmfao, no.
Original post by libidothief
Personally I think that there should be no death penalty so that the idiot can suffer from boredom for the rest of their lives. Eventually they'll have to deal with depression which is what they deserve :biggrin: Bloody psychopaths.

you the one that sounds like a psychopath wanting others to suffer as much as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending