The Student Room Group

Maths Edexcel A GCSE

So according to some unofficial markscheme, I've got 50/100, but the thing is I want an A*, so is that still possible? A* are like really high, I've looked at past grade boundaries and it's 164 or so, which seems really unlikely right now, plus the colleges I particularly want to go to, I.E. Loreto, would want A* apparently for the subjects I want to do.
Like I need almost full marks on the calculator to even get an A.
Simple answer, no. Not if you got 50/100 as it would be impossible to get 114/100! (if the grade boundaries stayed roughly the same).

Although, I am sure you have done better than you think you have! I was in your place last year and I thought I had done terrible but came out with an A* overall. Keep your hopes up!
There's no way to get an A* having got 50 marks on paper 1, even if you get full marks on paper 2 I'm afraid. But you might get more marks than you think for paper 1. I'd just aim for as high as possible on the calculator paper, and even if you don't hit that A* you'll get an A, and you can appeal to your college to still do your courses
Reply 3
Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
There's no way to get an A* having got 50 marks on paper 1, even if you get full marks on paper 2 I'm afraid. But you might get more marks than you think for paper 1. I'd just aim for as high as possible on the calculator paper, and even if you don't hit that A* you'll get an A, and you can appeal to your college to still do your courses

Original post by amingo26
Simple answer, no. Not if you got 50/100 as it would be impossible to get 114/100! (if the grade boundaries stayed roughly the same).

Although, I am sure you have done better than you think you have! I was in your place last year and I thought I had done terrible but came out with an A* overall. Keep your hopes up!

Thankyou! I just need virtually like full marks or so on the second paper to even get an A, I presume so as for the grade boundaries, like I really want to do it for A Level,do you have any tips of what to revise for the calculator exam and well what did you guys do for it?
Original post by zarahades
Thankyou! I just need virtually like full marks or so on the second paper to even get an A, I presume so as for the grade boundaries, like I really want to do it for A Level,do you have any tips of what to revise for the calculator exam and well what did you guys do for it?

I'm just doing loads of past papers and going over the topics I don't understand fully with my revision guide and mathswatch videos. I'm in the same boat as you, I think I only got 70 in paper 1 and I want an A * as well. Not impossible but very hard. I need an A* for further maths a level, but if I get an A I'm going to appeal to my school to let me still do it.
Just believe in yourself, don't dwell on paper 1, focus on getting as many marks as possible on paper 2! Good luck!
Reply 5
I'm just doing loads of past papers and going over the topics I don't understand fully with my revision guide and mathswatch videos. I'm in the same boat as you, I think I only got 70 in paper 1 and I want an A * as well. Not impossible but very hard. I need an A* for further maths a level, but if I get an A I'm going to appeal to my school to let me still do it.
Just believe in yourself, don't dwell on paper 1, focus on getting as many marks as possible on paper 2! Good luck!

I did all the past papers before hand but should I go through them again? Stupidly I've got the wrong exam board revision guide too but I've got the mathswatch video thankfully and that's still really good to get 70, better than me even! But I agree, hopefully you do get an A* although it's virtually impossible for me as I can only get an A pretty much, if I look at the previous grade boundaries. Thankyou once again!
Reply 6
I think i got around 60? Can I get an A or even an A*?
Original post by zarahades
I did all the past papers before hand but should I go through them again? Stupidly I've got the wrong exam board revision guide too but I've got the mathswatch video thankfully and that's still really good to get 70, better than me even! But I agree, hopefully you do get an A* although it's virtually impossible for me as I can only get an A pretty much, if I look at the previous grade boundaries. Thankyou once again!

I'd just look at the questions you did wrong so you know which topics you aren't as good at and you can then focus on them. I had the wrong exam board revision guide as well, I had aqa, but I realised and bought another one for Edexcel. That revision guide might still be helpful for topics you're stuck on, if they're in there? I suppose 70 is quite good, but you'll have done better than you think, don't worry! Thank you, I hope you've done better than you think on the first paper and are able to get an A*, but if not I'm sure you'll get an A which is still good!
Original post by PATDLOL
I think i got around 60? Can I get an A or even an A*?

You can get an A, but it's almost impossible for you to get an A* I'm afraid, you'd need to get full marks and pray the grade boundaries are low, as they are usually between 160-170 (I think) I'm not sure how much an A is but I think it's usually around 140?(I'm not sure, you might need to check it) good luck!
Reply 9
You can get an A, but it's almost impossible for you to get an A* I'm afraid, you'd need to get full marks and pray the grade boundaries are low, as they are usually between 160-170 (I think) I'm not sure how much an A is but I think it's usually around 140?(I'm not sure, you might need to check it) good luck!

Ahhh!! Thanks so much for the advice!! Now just need to work extra hard to get that A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending