The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or College?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs.Grey
I want to do Psychology, Bio, Chem and English Lit. What should I go for?

That depends entirely on what you wish to gain from your A-Level experience. I would say Sixth Form generally but there's no reason not to go to a college if you are seeking a different style of education.
If you want to do law look at which one has better grades and go there. You need good grades for law. You might miss out on a bigger community and more social stuff at college but you can do that at uni...
6th form college not 2ndary but then there's qualifications you have to meet and availability of courses at colleges so...dunno. Whatever you want, it's your life, don't ask us.
This helped me out tbh but could you tell me how different A levels? Like what things would you tell your past self if you could about A levels and sixth form college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if you're asking me but I'll answer the question anyway.

Things I would tell my past self:

- why oh why did I not listen to my teachers when they repeated how hard A-Levels are compared to GCSEs - I was a straight A* student and I put little to no effort in to get those grades and now I'm getting Ds after putting way more effort in ugh

- I was also pretty indecisive about which sixth form college to attend as I couldn't decide between 2 but the main deciding factors was the transport and also how I felt about the environment on the New Student Day

I'm afraid I can't possibly tell you how hard A-Levels are compared to GCSES - everyone is told the same thing but it's only when they actually start the work themselves they realise how hard it is - but I beg you, if you're getting B's in sciences but a*s and A's in everything else, DO NOT DO SCIENCE, you will most likely fail although there will be others who say they got Bs at GCSE'S and A*s at A-Level - it just varies.

Also, if you want to do law, history is a very good A-Level to take (at least that's what the history teacher said)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Thanks this helped. Lmao now I'm thinking about science or law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to do Psychology, Bio, Chem and English Lit. What should I go for?

It's easy to just stay at sixth form because it's the easy thing to do, but often college has lots more resources and is a new experience. Depends on you really
Sixth Form
Reply 27
Original post by nomophobia
I'm not sure if you're asking me but I'll answer the question anyway.

Things I would tell my past self:

- why oh why did I not listen to my teachers when they repeated how hard A-Levels are compared to GCSEs - I was a straight A* student and I put little to no effort in to get those grades and now I'm getting Ds after putting way more effort in ugh

- I was also pretty indecisive about which sixth form college to attend as I couldn't decide between 2 but the main deciding factors was the transport and also how I felt about the environment on the New Student Day

I'm afraid I can't possibly tell you how hard A-Levels are compared to GCSES - everyone is told the same thing but it's only when they actually start the work themselves they realise how hard it is - but I beg you, if you're getting B's in sciences but a*s and A's in everything else, DO NOT DO SCIENCE, you will most likely fail although there will be others who say they got Bs at GCSE'S and A*s at A-Level - it just varies.

Also, if you want to do law, history is a very good A-Level to take (at least that's what the history teacher said)

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a levels do you do?
Original post by Rajive
What a levels do you do?

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am Muslim and that is my God :smile: Thank you so much, I am but people are telling me that Bio and Chem is hard and I'm getting B's rn, I'm yr 10. Plus, Science is my only B, the rest are A's and A*'s seems like such an obvious sign that I should do science so my other side would be to do History, Psychology, English Lit and Politics. People say I should be a lawyer BUT I NEED HELP MAN

If you're year 10, why are you planning your A level choices now? Don't give yourself unnecessary stress, enjoy the easy life while you have it because A levels will ruin you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Sacred Ground
If you're year 10, why are you planning your A level choices now? Don't give yourself unnecessary stress, enjoy the easy life while you have it because A levels will ruin you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, my dad has told me to choose a profession I want to do so therefore I need to think about A-levels bc I need to see what universities want what.

Quick Reply

Latest