The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vesniep
but that was just fo getting this imaginary 140 thing

What. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Well I didnt **** up I was just angry Yeh I got fulls to Q1,3,4,6,7,8(dropped some here due my me doubting myself ****ing domains). And ****ed up q2 cause I read the question wrong and did the whole questions for -3 to 3. Still fuming

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just when I had some hope of beating you..

I got 91 on that one. Mark scheme abused me hard though, I expected at least 100-110 since I got 5 fulls and 1 good partial. They literally gave marks for domain of the closed form of integral. No way this is how the official mark scheme is, the one I used was the one posted on last thread made by the correspondence course.

I did STEP I 2014 today but I feel like I ****ed up exam technique. I was doing questions Zacken style and got to 7 questions but had like 3 of them at 17, 1 at 12 and 2 at 7. I got 77 overall but expected way more due to doing some questions in like 20 minutes Zacken style. I also ****ed up for attempting the number theory question - like I think I am Renzhi or something. I lost quite a few marks there and a mistake of reading the question cost me a couple marks as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh the integral was one if the easiest integrals I have done it literally was a 10 minute job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Question 2 was also a 10 minute job but I guess not for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Yeah, Question 2 was also a 10 minute job but I guess not for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 1 was a 9 minute job goml

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 91 on that one. Mark scheme abused me hard though, I expected at least 100-110 since I got 5 fulls and 1 good partial. They literally gave marks for domain of the closed form of integral. No way this is how the official mark scheme is, the one I used was the one posted on last thread made by the correspondence course.

I did STEP I 2014 today but I feel like I ****ed up exam technique. I was doing questions Zacken style and got to 7 questions but had like 3 of them at 17, 1 at 12 and 2 at 7. I got 77 overall but expected way more due to doing some questions in like 20 minutes Zacken style. I also ****ed up for attempting the number theory question - like I think I am Renzhi or something. I lost quite a few marks there and a mistake of reading the question cost me a couple marks as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, yeh mark scheme was harsh IMO.
Yeh for I 14 I have done all the pures other then q4 so we can talk n Q13.
I loved that paper since q1,5,7 were easy due to some familiarity with am gm modular arithematic and some Olympiad geometry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's late m8.

I think he is sleepwalking and trying to communicate in Greek.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
First part was just observation so no problems there, my working got pretty messy for the second half, although the composite functions question or the floor function question were my favourites this year, although the integration is usually relatively relaxing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops, I meant Question 4 STEP II 2014 for the integral question lol. I did these papers one day in between so I got confused which one contained the pleasant and interesting integral question. You are probably really confused why it seemed that I enjoyed a dull integral question such as the one in STEP I 2014 haha. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I have a few questions about the marking on STEP, I'm going to make references to 2015 Step II so ill put my questions in a spoiler.

Spoiler

Zackens best OP <333

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the number theory question was very nice. Although whenever I do mocks I always take my time with each question, which means I never got more than 6 but I almost always get fulls/close to fulls in the ones I attempt, plus I feel less time pressure.
Whoops, I meant Question 4 STEP II 2014 for the integral question lol. I did these papers one day in between so I got confused which one contained the pleasant and interesting integral question. You are probably really confused why it seemed that I enjoyed a dull integral question such as the one in STEP I 2014 haha. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For that integration Q how did you do the last part? I did it differently to the solutions and eventually came up with the idea of integrating the given result by parts with 1 and the integrand lol. Amazed it worked.
And we are on to Step Prep 2016 MKII everyone :yay: Just quoting you in so you find this. :h:

Here's the first post. It has loads of info.

Good luck :dumbells:

Don't click!

Reply 52
What a journey the last thread was. Mainly memes, but some maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
What a journey the last thread was. Mainly memes, but some maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Recurring theme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Doing II 2014 today if anyone wants to join me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Have just updated the OP with all the markschemes and fixed all the links; if anybody asks about markschemes without first reading the OP again... :rofl:
MkII already?? Back to stalking :creep: :ninja:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
And we are on to Step Prep 2016 MKII everyone :yay: Just quoting you in so you find this. :h:

Here's the first post. It has loads of info.

Good luck :dumbells:

Don't click!

Does that list of quoted people happen to be in any particular order?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Does that list of quoted people happen to be in any particular order?

In order of how many posts each person made :innocent:
@physicsmaths

Did you end up trying Q4 of STEP I 2015 afterwards?

Quick Reply

Latest