The Student Room Group

My GF and I are getting married in secret. Should we move away from the UK?

We've been together since the end of school, so 6 years, and I proposed to her last month and things have been going discreetly, but smoothly.

Neither of our family members know, just a handful of trusted friends.

The reason we have to keep it quiet is because I'm Jewish and she's Muslim - yeah, I know this is dreadful.

Our parents have met on a couple of occasions, but obviously they are oblivious to all this - they just think we're friends.

We're thinking of just leaving the UK and heading somewhere else in Europe to properly tie up... but there are lot of factors in the way.

What advice can you give us?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
We've been together since the end of school, so 6 years, and I proposed to her last month and things have been going discreetly, but smoothly.

The reason we have to keep it quiet is because I'm Jewish and she's Muslim - yeah, I know this is dreadful.

Our parents have met on a couple of occasions, but obviously they are oblivious to all this - they just think we're friends.

We're thinking of just leaving the UK and heading somewhere else in Europe to properly tie up... but there are lot of factors in the way.

I think you're treading into dangerous territory doing that. Maybe discuss telling them with your partner.
Omg wow. Soap drama irl
Original post by samina_ay
Omg wow. Soap drama irl

Just TSR really :rofl:
Original post by ivybridge
Just TSR really :rofl:

Lmao dunno if they could run away and get away with it. Only if
Reply 5
Lmao dunno if they could run away and get away with it. Only if

Well we are in our mid-twenties...

We've been discussing this for several months now.
Reply 6
I think you're treading into dangerous territory doing that. Maybe discuss telling them with your partner.

We have, but we know what the reactions will be.

We've had to lie to our familes for 6 years, and that's including bribing her younger sister.

We can't risk them finding out because we'll never get to see each other again if that happens.
We have, but we know what the reactions will be.

We've had to lie to our familes for 6 years, and that's including bribing her younger sister.

We can't risk them finding out because we'll never get to see each other again if that happens.

How you managed to do that is beyond me. I don't know why you're really asking then, you're going to do it regardless if you have literally got no other options :dontknow:
It's a big step and could be dangerous. Perhaps you should get advice and counselling first. Moving to another town might be enough, or Australia might be safer.Good luck x
Well we are in our mid-twenties...

We've been discussing this for several months now.

Go for it :redface:
You have God - trust Him
You have God - trust Him

We're not exactly model theists.
How you managed to do that is beyond me. I don't know why you're really asking then, you're going to do it regardless if you have literally got no other options :dontknow:

A lot of lying, a lot of sneaking about, a lot of travelling, etc...

We don't know if we're going to be able to go through with it, we just need some outside advice to point us in the right direction.

Eh?
A lot of lying, a lot of sneaking about, a lot of travelling, etc...

We don't know if we're going to be able to go through with it, we just need some outside advice to point us in the right direction.

There isn't really much a student forum can offer you. I doubt any of us really have a clue.
You have God - trust Him

You muslim?
Reply 15

I can tell. Your choice but it seems a selfish thing to do to your parents. Imagine how gutted they would be to find out what has happened to the son theyve raised for so long once you go abroad. Think about the psychological affect on your mother especially. I would really try to look at the bigger picture here. Doing what you want with your life, but affecting the lives of your parents is completely different. Please think about this very carefully brother
Reply 16

Spoiler

You muslim?

Yh
Yh

Why are you encouraging a jewish guy to run away with a muslim girl? Isn't it contradictory to your faith?
Why are you encouraging a jewish guy to run away with a muslim girl? Isn't it contradictory to your faith?

They've been together for 6 years - do you really think I'm gonna say "haraam, hang this man" ??
Ultimately it's their decision. It will be hard telling the parents and running away can be the solution - however its very unfair on the parents.. so their situation is a mess really.

Quick Reply

Latest