The Student Room Group

How screwed am I? (Career wise)

Ok i know this is in the wrong place but i have to put it here. I failed my degree due to a host of anxiety and depression issues and spent 3 years at uni only to leave with a Certificate of Higher education. The next 2 years were spent working a load of rubbish dead end jobs, undergoing intensive therapy to fix the abandonment, neglect and abusive issue i had growing up and saving up to pay for one year on university with student finance to pay for my third and final year.

I have repeated my second year 3 times and i should complete it with a 2:1 overall (just one more exam result left to come out) I have been applying for placements throughout the year and have received multiple rejections. I had only one interview which seemed very promising but i got rejected at the last minute which was very heartbreaking.I think the fact that I've failed a degree previously and the fact that i'm 24 is what could be behind this but i'm not 100% sure.

I saved up about £10k which i used to pay for my second year at another university where i'm much happier, confident and in control of my life. The third year in quite soon and i feel like i'm included in the whole university and in life as I've gotten a good idea of what to do for my dissertation topic and what to do.

The key issue here is whether i'll be eligible for a grad scheme or a placement due to my age and the fact that I've failed once before. This of course will affect my future earning prospects and mate attraction because as you get older you're expected as a man to have more money and be in more control of your life.

I live at home to save money which is not very nice at almost 25 when people i started uni originally with are buying homes, getting married and having children. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others but i can't help it. Part of me wants to die so that i don't have to face the grim reality, but another part refuses to accept defeat so easily.

The £10k i saved up could've been used to put down a deposit for a house but i don't think i regret going back to uni. What i wanna know is, am i screwed when it come to applying for grad schemes/jobs or will employers simply not hire me due to my age and my earlier failure??

Will i be able to attract a decent woman seeing as i'm almost 25 and still a virgin with no past relationships? I've been asking girls out a lot but keep receiving a TON of rejections which is depressing as hell.

Any help and realistic advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

i'm in a very similar position myself. dropped out of uni after 4 years due to undiagnosed depression then worked in retail for 2 years. went back to uni and am 26 now, entering my final year. not even applied for grad jobs/internships but you thinking about that now shows you're further ahead than me at least. i'm just going to cross that bridge when i get to it.

interested to see what the other replies will be like. sorry i couldn't be more useful.
Original post by Anonymous

1. You have to get those mental health issues sorted out. They will affect you and people may sense them. Easier said than done, but it has to be a priority for your own wellbeing.
2. You repeated your 2nd year 3 times? How does that add up?
3. You will get a 2:1 which is great, the fact your CV will show a failed degree or an application form might request you to put everything down is an issue, becayse some will be put off, but others will not. You need to focus on those who will find it ok. keep several applications going. Keep improving
4. You need to master your CV and how you will sell yourself plus tell your story. You need to pick a line showing you have come through adversity, have your mental health under control and are an academic winner with skills to match. You might want to limit talking about mental health pt be conservative about it.
5. 10k was investment in you and well worth the price.
6.All that stuff about deposit and people buying houses at 25 imo is drivel especially in London. its not a race so theres no need to be dramatic. 24 is an ok age and you are still young.
7. End of grad schemes? Definitely not. You can apply, so you need to brush up on your skills as well as what you are writing. use your careers service and pick up extra curriculars. A careers adviser should be able to give you some pointers on your CV. Maximise your chances by getting good. They wont reject you for age, some might pause over academics, but you jst have to keep going. others will only be bothered you have a 2:1. Keep going. You can have a career and earn money, but some of its luck, some determination and you need the other skills as well.
8. No mate? Youll be fine if you get yourself sorted out, job and mentally. Plus ofc making the most of what you have in looks, confidence and personality. It gets easier for men if you manage to get a reasonable job.

Imo you have a reasonable chance and have done well to get back on track. The age thing is not a factor, your stretched out qualification and fail on the other might be, but they will be more bothered about mental health imo so you need to show its not an issue. Dont get put off if you fail because you are competing against people who have a more straightfprward route. Get on with it.

2am so it might not be coherent....
Why on earth would you put a failed degree on your CV. I would omit that information, employers don't need to know that.
Original post by 999tigger
1. You have to get those mental health issues sorted out. They will affect you and people may sense them. Easier said than done, but it has to be a priority for your own wellbeing.
3. You will get a 2:1 which is great, the fact your CV will show a failed degree or an application form might request you to put everything down is an issue, becayse some will be put off, but others will not. You need to focus on those who will find it ok. keep several applications going. Keep improving
4. You need to master your CV and how you will sell yourself plus tell your story. You need to pick a line showing you have come through adversity, have your mental health under control and are an academic winner with skills to match. You might want to limit talking about mental health pt be conservative about it.
6.All that stuff about deposit and people buying houses at 25 imo is drivel especially in London. its not a race so theres no need to be dramatic. 24 is an ok age and you are still young.
7. End of grad schemes? Definitely not. You can apply, so you need to brush up on your skills as well as what you are writing. use your careers service and pick up extra curriculars. A careers adviser should be able to give you some pointers on your CV. Maximise your chances by getting good. They wont reject you for age, some might pause over academics, but you jst have to keep going. others will only be bothered you have a 2:1. Keep going. You can have a career and earn money, but some of its luck, some determination and you need the other skills as well.
8. No mate? Youll be fine if you get yourself sorted out, job and mentally. Plus ofc making the most of what you have in looks, confidence and personality. It gets easier for men if you manage to get a reasonable job.

Imo you have a reasonable chance and have done well to get back on track. The age thing is not a factor, your stretched out qualification and fail on the other might be, but they will be more bothered about mental health imo so you need to show its not an issue. Dont get put off if you fail because you are competing against people who have a more straightfprward route. Get on with it.

The best advice, as always. :hat2: 999tigger.
This of course will affect my future earning prospects and mate attraction because as you get older you're expected as a man to have more money and be in more control of your life.

I live at home to save money which is not very nice at almost 25 when people i started uni originally with are buying homes, getting married and having children. I know you shouldn't compare yourself to others but i can't help it. Part of me wants to die so that i don't have to face the grim reality, but another part refuses to accept defeat so easily.

The £10k i saved up could've been used to put down a deposit for a house but i don't think i regret going back to uni.

Will i be able to attract a decent woman seeing as i'm almost 25 and still a virgin with no past relationships? I've been asking girls out a lot but keep receiving a TON of rejections which is depressing as hell.

my best advise is to never give up no matter how tough it gets
just read some inspirational literature and take some quote to heart thats what i did and i have gone from £3,000 to £7,000 to £30,000 a year in the past 5 years and hope to make next year at least double of that
ps- where in the uk does £10,000 put a deposit down on a house
Reply 6
Original post by shibbikitteh
Why on earth would you put a failed degree on your CV. I would omit that information, employers don't need to know that.

I haven't put that i failed my degree on a failed CV. I just put that I have a certificate of higher education from my previous university and that I was there for 3 years. Should i omit it do you think?
I haven't put that i failed my degree on a failed CV. I just put that I have a certificate of higher education from my previous university and that I was there for 3 years. Should i omit it do you think?

Your cv is under your control so you cna include what you like and miss out stuff. Experienced grad recruiters will want you to apply on their forms. they will know what to look for. Gaps raise suspicions. Soetimes they may ask you to put all exams down and then you have to think long and hard if you dont comply as that will be deception.

Do not be afraid of getting a lesser job as a foot in the door and working your way up.

I would personally, because, they just plain don't need to know that. It would be easier to explain a gap in your CV than it would be to explain your hardships. (With it on there, you may not even get a chance to explain your hardships) All an employer would see from that is that you haven't succeed in something you want to do, let yourself doing well now take pride of place on your CV.

Sorry its a fair point. I was thinking application form. In any event the numbers wont add up because he has done his first year at one time and the other 2 years much later. He could for instance just put his last 2 years on, whih would be ok for a CV, but he may still be asked questions about his other years or asked on an online form. In that case its a clear choice between having a plausible explanation or something else.
Sorry its a fair point. I was thinking application form. In any event the numbers wont add up because he has done his first year at one time and the other 2 years much later. He could for instance just put his last 2 years on, whih would be ok for a CV, but he may still be asked questions about his other years or asked on an online form. In that case its a clear choice between having a plausible explanation or something else.

Yes that's totally true.
However, most employers look for a capability to learn at a higher level. I don't think i've seen an application form for a job role that goes into too much detail. I just think it would be more proactive to put himself in a position where he will have the opportunity to explain himself, rather than put that which could been seen as a negative straight out there.

So wait, should I omit the Certificate of higher education or include it in my CV? Explaining a 3 year gap is gonna be challenging.

I would personally, because, they just plain don't need to know that. It would be easier to explain a gap in your CV than it would be to explain your hardships. (With it on there, you may not even get a chance to explain your hardships) All an employer would see from that is that you haven't succeed in something you want to do, let yourself doing well now take pride of place on your CV.

So i should omit the CertHe and make something up then? Do you think they'll ask for transcripts for both universities?
Yes that's totally true.
However, most employers look for a capability to learn at a higher level. I don't think i've seen an application form for a job role that goes into too much detail. I just think it would be more proactive to put himself in a position where he will have the opportunity to explain himself, rather than put that which could been seen as a negative straight out there.

I have to see the form. If they ask you for all exams, then a decision to lie becomes deception and an instant dismissal issue. Ive seen plenty that ask for every exam., just like UCAS. He needs to work out all of the uncomfy issues and reach a decision what he will do about them. he should use his careers service.
Ok i know this is in the wrong place but i have to put it here. I failed my degree due to a host of anxiety and depression issues and spent 3 years at uni only to leave with a Certificate of Higher education. The next 2 years were spent working a load of rubbish dead end jobs, undergoing intensive therapy to fix the abandonment, neglect and abusive issue i had growing up and saving up to pay for one year on university with student finance to pay for my third and final year.

I have repeated my second year 3 times and i should complete it with a 2:1 overall (just one more exam result left to come out) I have been applying for placements throughout the year and have received multiple rejections. I had only one interview which seemed very promising but i got rejected at the last minute which was very heartbreaking.I think the fact that I've failed a degree previously and the fact that i'm 24 is what could be behind this but i'm not 100% sure.

I saved up about £10k which i used to pay for my second year at another university where i'm much happier, confident and in control of my life. The third year in quite soon and i feel like i'm included in the whole university and in life as I've gotten a good idea of what to do for my dissertation topic and what to do.

The key issue here is whether i'll be eligible for a grad scheme or a placement due to my age and the fact that I've failed once before. This of course will affect my future earning prospects and mate attraction because as you get older you're expected as a man to have more money and be in more control of your life.

The £10k i saved up could've been used to put down a deposit for a house but i don't think i regret going back to uni. What i wanna know is, am i screwed when it come to applying for grad schemes/jobs or will employers simply not hire me due to my age and my earlier failure??

sounds fake
I have to see the form. If they ask you for all exams, then a decision to lie becomes deception and an instant dismissal issue. Ive seen plenty that ask for every exam., just like UCAS. He needs to work out all of the uncomfy issues and reach a decision what he will do about them. he should use his careers service.

Totally don't advise lying, because that's a whole different ball game all together. However, when applying for a job by say applying by sending in your CV it doesn't need to be on there.
Totally don't advise lying, because that's a whole different ball game all together. However, when applying for a job by say applying by sending in your CV it doesn't need to be on there.

Have already agreed with you on that. it depends on the job. Most grad schemes are organised and have their own form.
i should omit the CertHe and make something up then? Do you think they'll ask for transcripts for both universities?

Did you work at all in the 3 years you were in uni the first time ?

I'm really interested in seeing your CV.
As a recruiter once told me, the latest 3 years are most important on your CV, I'm slightly confused about your timeline, how long has it been since you stopped the first time, 4 years ? If so that's an adequate amount of time to not be concerned about the gap. At the end of the day, even if the job was crap, in the two years you were working you've proven you can hold down a job, have some manner work ethic and job experience. You're now pushing yourself towards a qualification that shows you're capable of higher learning, and passionate about a subject and there's no way that could be seen as a bad thing.

TSR wouldn't let me rep so I want to say excellent advice!
>OP you have more going for you than you think! Everything above is spot on! Good Luck to you!

This.

We live in a country where home-ownership for the younger generations is simply not as viable as it once was. We're returning to a nation of renters.

Basically, stop assuming that you got to live like your peers. Life is long and hard enough without burdening ourselves with living to other people's standards.

If you make an honest appraisal, you'll see your friends and acquaintances in all sorts of places. Some will be obsessing over family, a lucky few will have bought a house, the rest are doing their thing at their own pace.

Oh and I also agree with the guy that says omit the failed uni. It's hard to take on board for some, but you should omit some stuff, overplay others, bend the truth and otherwise oversell yourself. You think you should show your employability with honesty and achievement, but really employers end up looking for comforting but hollow buzzwords, and it seems a lot of people ********.

If you're struggling with your CV there's plenty of services where people can help you build one.
Original post by john2054
sounds fake

Lol what's fake about it?

Quick Reply

Latest