The Student Room Group

Got an OJE and Interview with McDonalds on Wednesday, help?

Hiya, have any of you experienced this and have you got any tips or perhaps even tell me about your experience. It's my first time that I have applied for a job and got past the first stage so as you could imagine i'm really nervous about it. It's the interview that's gonna be the breaker.. I fear i'll get really nervous around customers and the interviewer... Any tips guys? Anything is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by _Francis
Hiya, have any of you experienced this and have you got any tips or perhaps even tell me about your experience. It's my first time that I have applied for a job and got past the first stage so as you could imagine i'm really nervous about it. It's the interview that's gonna be the breaker.. I fear i'll get really nervous around customers and the interviewer... Any tips guys? Anything is appreciated :smile:

I just want to say well done for getting to this stage and try to relax. :-)

Ah, this takes me back. I applied back in 2014 when I had just turned 16. The interview was really fine, he asked me why I wanted to work there, what skills I have, I believe he asked for a weakness too. He also asked me what 3 words my friends would use to describe me. As long as you're confident and don't come across as a complete and utter idiot you'll be fine. Don't worry about taking time to think, or stuttering, or not being sure. It's more about how you come across, be yourself! Be charismatic. Before your interview think of a few qualities you have, think of a time where you've been a good friend or helped a stranger.

As for the OJE, he never actually asked me to do one. After my interview I asked if I was going to do an OJE and he just sort of said "Oh... Yeah, hang on..." and gave me a cloth and asked me to wipe a few tables. It was really odd.

The best advice I can give you, as cliché as it is, is DON'T BE NERVOUS! There aren't going to be any curve ball questions in there. I can't tell you much about the OJE, but don't worry if you mess up, because when you start working there you'll be messing up all the time, trust me. 2 years on and I still make loads of mistakes every day! For example today, a guy said "I gave you £10, didn't I?", I couldn't remember so the manager had to count the till to figure out whether I owed the guy money. It's no biggie, stuff like that happens all the time.

I'll say it again, DON'T WORRY and good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Ah, this takes me back. I applied back in 2014 when I had just turned 16. The interview was really fine, he asked me why I wanted to work there, what skills I have, I believe he asked for a weakness too. He also asked me what 3 words my friends would use to describe me. As long as you're confident and don't come across as a complete and utter idiot you'll be fine. Don't worry about taking time to think, or stuttering, or not being sure. It's more about how you come across, be yourself! Be charismatic. Before your interview think of a few qualities you have, think of a time where you've been a good friend or helped a stranger.

As for the OJE, he never actually asked me to do one. After my interview I asked if I was going to do an OJE and he just sort of said "Oh... Yeah, hang on..." and gave me a cloth and asked me to wipe a few tables. It was really odd.

The best advice I can give you, as cliché as it is, is DON'T BE NERVOUS! There aren't going to be any curve ball questions in there. I can't tell you much about the OJE, but don't worry if you mess up, because when you start working there you'll be messing up all the time, trust me. 2 years on and I still make loads of mistakes every day! For example today, a guy said "I gave you £10, didn't I?", I couldn't remember so the manager had to count the till to figure out whether I owed the guy money. It's no biggie, stuff like that happens all the time.

I'll say it again, DON'T WORRY and good luck! :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile: Really appreciate it especially from someone who has succesfully got through the overall process (well done btw!). They've only given me a 20 minute slot for tomorrow so I think its just an interview. Just one more thing to ask, was it a panel you were interviewed by or one person?

Thanks
Reply 4
Thanks a lot :smile: Really appreciate it especially from someone who has succesfully got through the overall process (well done btw!). They've only given me a 20 minute slot for tomorrow so I think its just an interview. Just one more thing to ask, was it a panel you were interviewed by or one person?

Thanks

Sorry if it's too late, but it was one person: the Business Manager of the store. It will always be either the Business Manager or 1st/2nd Assistant. They're always lovely people! It's not ass official or whatever as you'll probably expect :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by muddyelam
Sorry if it's too late, but it was one person: the Business Manager of the store. It will always be either the Business Manager or 1st/2nd Assistant. They're always lovely people! It's not ass official or whatever as you'll probably expect :smile:

No its not too late, got it tomorrow afternoon :smile: Looking forward to get it over with but I wonder how long will it be before I know the outcome. Were the questions pretty straightforward for you?
Reply 6
No its not too late, got it tomorrow afternoon :smile: Looking forward to get it over with but I wonder how long will it be before I know the outcome. Were the questions pretty straightforward for you?

The questions were pretty straightforward, yeah.

Why do you want to work at McDonald's?
What skills do you have?
Describe yourself in three words? This one caught me out. I stuttered a bit and said "Uhh, committed... friendly... and... uh... strange..." He seemed really confused by me saying strange, looked at me like I was a bit of a weirdo, and I was just like "Err, I dunno I'm like, quirky, y'know?" But honestly, don't worry about the questions too much, it doesn't actually matter too much what you answer, it's just about whether you actually can answer questions.

I can't guarantee what questions you'll be asked because I'm pretty sure they'll vary.

When I went for my interview, I read online that some people found out on the interview, and some the next day or so. This made me quite nervous when I was waiting around a week for my answer! So don't worry if it's been like a week when everyone else is saying it took like a day for them, it really does vary :smile:

Let me know how it goes, by the way. And good luck again :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
The questions were pretty straightforward, yeah.

Why do you want to work at McDonald's?
What skills do you have?
Describe yourself in three words? This one caught me out. I stuttered a bit and said "Uhh, committed... friendly... and... uh... strange..." He seemed really confused by me saying strange, looked at me like I was a bit of a weirdo, and I was just like "Err, I dunno I'm like, quirky, y'know?" But honestly, don't worry about the questions too much, it doesn't actually matter too much what you answer, it's just about whether you actually can answer questions.

I can't guarantee what questions you'll be asked because I'm pretty sure they'll vary.

When I went for my interview, I read online that some people found out on the interview, and some the next day or so. This made me quite nervous when I was waiting around a week for my answer! So don't worry if it's been like a week when everyone else is saying it took like a day for them, it really does vary :smile:

Let me know how it goes, by the way. And good luck again :smile:

Hi, I done it earlier, I think it went okay. I answered all the questions well, I kept eye contact, shook hands and had correct body language and stuff like that. The questions were like 'who would be your role model and why' 'if you were a brand who would you be' 'what do you think you can add to the team' and then stuff like what I wanted to do in the future.. He said I will know the decision soon so not too bad
Reply 8
Hi, I done it earlier, I think it went okay. I answered all the questions well, I kept eye contact, shook hands and had correct body language and stuff like that. The questions were like 'who would be your role model and why' 'if you were a brand who would you be' 'what do you think you can add to the team' and then stuff like what I wanted to do in the future.. He said I will know the decision soon so not too bad

Sounds like it went well! Well done, sounds like you got all the important stuff right :smile:
Reply 9
Sounds like it went well! Well done, sounds like you got all the important stuff right :smile:

Thanks :smile: As a current employee I thought you could help me with this problem. At the end of July for 4 days I have a university residential and then at the end of August I have a week holiday with my mates. These have been booked for weeks now so if I do get the job then how will this work out? I completely forgot to mention it in the interview.
Reply 10

Nevermind, didn't get the job :/ I wish I could have provided with some feedback to be honest.
Nevermind, didn't get the job :/ I wish I could have provided with some feedback to be honest.

Damn, Mcdonalds have started rejecting people now?
Reply 12
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Damn, Mcdonalds have started rejecting people now?

Apparently 140 people applied for it and there was only like 3 or 4 vacancies
Hi, what would you answer to the role model question and what brand would you be bcos I have an interview on wednesday and I'm so nervous !!!1
Reply 14
Original post by sophie232
Hi, what would you answer to the role model question and what brand would you be bcos I have an interview on wednesday and I'm so nervous !!!1

Hiya, sorry I only just saw this post. How did it go?

Quick Reply

Latest