The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

help a brother find accommodation. in a bit of a sticky situation, hear me out.

hello.

i am looking to move into nottingham from london in september. i did my undergrad at surrey, my postgrad at UCL (london) and will start work in nottingham. basically, i have found a bunch of "VIP lifestyle" studios for ridiculously low prices (compared to london) that are really close to work, but the problem is they specifically mention that they're for students; on september, i will no longer be a student. there are other studios, but the student ones seem to be the best by a good margin and are like 5-10 minute walk from my work.

i really don't want to move from central london to a sh*tty, isolated 1-man flat in a city where i don't know anybody. i quite like the student vibe - i can get back home after work, find new smoking buddies, meet interesting people and generally just enjoy the bum life for the remainder of the day. i do not want to be in professional mode 24/7. i want it to feel like i'm partially in university again - but this time i won't be doing assignments, exams etc. and will be on a fat salary.

i have 3 options:
a) pray that the landlords are retarded and apply as a student (my status as a student expires September 26th). i noticed that some of the application forms allow you to select any university in the country lol.

b) fake a letter proving that i'm a student at nottingham uni (i know somebody at the university i'll ask for their 'proof of study' letter and see what i can do) - do they call the university to verify?

c) find accommodation that isn't specifically for students, but has students (or young people in general). the main thing here is that i will have my own flat, surrounded by other flats in the same building.

in the case of option c), can anybody give me some reccommendations (ideally no further than 20 minute walk to nottingham rail station)? i really don't want to resort to something like living on top of a corner shop by myself in the slums of nottingham, that is how people end up committing suicide. any insight is appreciated.
Right,

First off, don't do anything stupid like lying. Suppose they are "stupid enough" to accept you, then find out and boot you out midway through the year, what are you going to do then? I've also no idea if this could count as something illegal, like fraud, but I suspect not.

How exactly does letting of these properties go? Does it go via the university? Have you asked if they'll let to professionals? I've lived in private student accommodation before and they were happy to let to professionals provided they pay their rent.

Secondly, I'm not quite sure why you need to be surrounded by people? What is wrong with going to meet people at the pub and having your own space to return home to? If you want to continue hanging around with students then there are two universities with clubs/bars you could likely go to to make new friends etc.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Elivercury
I've also no idea if this could count as something illegal, like fraud, but I suspect not.

Sounds like fraud by false representation to me.
Original post by Mactotaur
Sounds like fraud by false representation to me.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I think it's definitely fraud, however I suspect that they wouldn't consider it worth the time or effort to prosecute for it. I could be mistaken of course.
Original post by Elivercury
Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I think it's definitely fraud, however I suspect that they wouldn't consider it worth the time or effort to prosecute for it. I could be mistaken of course.

They've prosecuted for FBFR for less, as I recall, and accommodation is quite a lot of money.
Original post by Mactotaur
They've prosecuted for FBFR for less, as I recall, and accommodation is quite a lot of money.

Really? I stand fully corrected then. Further weight behind it being a terrible idea.

I probably should also have pointed out that you do get "young and modern" professional flat blocks, in a similar vein to the student halls style of living. That might scratch the itch the OP has.
Read the T's and C's properly. Think carefully before you forge anything or lie.
I doubt they would involve the police, just terminate your tenancy/licence.

the one I looked at requires you to list full details of your course and number. I imagine that part of letting to students and vetting people is a scurity thing. You could e-mail them and ask if there are any exceptions made.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
thanks guys.

spent the whole morning calling up these letting agencies. option a seemed to have worked nicely - i had 4 studios in mind and 2 of them simply have the requirement that you are a student at the time you move in (both applications were successful, i need to pick one and pay its booking fee to reserve the room).

with regards to the whole forging the document thing, let's not be drama queens here lol. i got the idea from a friend of mine who did the same thing using my letter. they'll look at the letter before accepting you - if they fall for it, you're in and they're never checking again (they have no reason to). if it fails, they won't accept you. police are not getting involved lol. trust me, if there was any risk i wouldn't have considered it in the first place as it might f*ck with my career (it was the last resort option anyway).

i do appreciate the replies. i got offered studios despite not being a student which is pretty nice. a friend of mine told me that he was hearing gunshot sounds in a chicken shop in notts lol. another guy linked me to an article about a woman serial killer in notts recently. this is looking like a proper ghetto.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending