The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MotorboatMyGoat
I'm talking about this specific case like I said ffs.
He was a child rapist.

I'm done with you girls, I enjoyed the pointless argument

No, you're making hugely broad statements and not considering the fact that we are speaking much more widely, as the question invited. He was a child rapist who was also a paedophile. Being a rapist and a paedophile are not inherently linked - you can be one without the other.

Lmao, grow up. Adios. :hello:
I personally dont agree with the death penalty at all.
I know they can ffs
Like I said from the very start I was talking about this specific pedo.
You wasn't. You're slow

Here's a gold star 🖕🏿 no feck off I'm bired

You weren't always, because you were arguing against us and our classification of what a paedophile really was and then about justifying actions. Those are two separate issues. So... want to reevaluate who's slow, here?

Such a child.
Original post by ivybridge
You weren't always, because you were arguing against us and our classification of what a paedophile really was and then about justifying actions. Those are two separate issues. So... want to reevaluate who's slow, here?

Such a child.

Show me a whole message of me not talking about this pedo, or you'll be crowned slow fairy
Show me a whole message of me not talking about this pedo, or you'll be crowned slow fairy

Whether or not you did for "whole" messages is not relevant. You did multiple times in parts of messages. And don't call me a fairy, you child.
Whether or not you did for "whole" messages is not relevant. You did multiple times in parts of messages. And don't call me a fairy, you child.

Arghh you can't. Don't call me a child, you slow fairy.
Arghh you can't. Don't call me a child, you slow fairy.

And the point still stands so... not really relevant.

:rolleyes:
Yes it is Bc I linked them together gosh

Can't believe you still haven't realised I'm trolling you. Look who's the slow one now.

Peace out motheryucker much love

They are separate. Talking about murderers and rapists is separate from talking about paedophilia. In this case, talking about murderers is separate from the two - what part of that can you not understand?

I realised it from the word 'go', doesn't mean I won't refute your comments.
They are separate. Talking about murderers and rapists is separate from talking about paedophilia. In this case, talking about murderers is separate from the two - what part of that can you not understand?

I realised it from the word 'go', doesn't mean I won't refute your comments.

I compared which one is worse so yes I linked them. What part of that can you not understand?

Lol you didn't refute my arguments slow fairy

I bored now you no fun
Nope, I don't believe in the death penalty.

Also, there's no such thing as a "convicted paedophile" - there are convicted child rapists and molesters, but that is not the same thing.

That said, the conflation is pretty typical in my experience in these kinds of debates - most people seem to think that sex with children is illegal on a yuck factor basis, rather than due to their legal inability to consent.
Reply 110
Original post by Deyesy
It actually is a mental disorder. It's listed in the DSM-V which is like a bible for Psychiatrists.

Well they would say that wouldn't they.
Original post by hovado
Well they would say that wouldn't they.

I don't know what you're suggesting by this?
Forced labor.

The only problem I have with life in prison is that it costs. A lot. So instead of making it a death penalty, make it "forced" labor. I don't mean the gruesome stuff from the gulags, but actually something productive.
Reply 113
Original post by Deyesy
I don't know what you're suggesting by this?

More mental disorders, more work for psychiatrists, more drugs sold.
He needs to go to a mental institution
The question asked was not specific to any particular case, the OP simply stated that they'd been reading about one in particular, leading to the question coming up. As such, I'd say it's you who doesn't really know what they're on about. Calm down.

To be honest, my setting up the online petition and then posting this new post on here was as a direct result of reading about Richard Huckle. He had been Trending on twitter all day. Lots of people on there calling for the death penalty for people like him. So I went over to petitions.parliament.uk and set up my own.I need 5 people to sponsor it so it can go live. A friend has said she will, and i've just read two messages on twitter where two more people have said they will also sign. Now i'm not so naiive or stupid to think ANY petition ,by me or anyone else, will get the Government to change the law. But I think there should be a debate about it. I specified in my petition it was just for paedophiles,not anyone else. Of course,there are also paedophiles who murder their victims as well after they have finished with them.
I was all for the death penalty until a could of years back. Not from a "punish them" point of view, purely from a pragmatic point of view. We have decided they will never be part of society - it is not safe for us to let them be - so therefore the cheapest method is surely just to kill them, rather than support them financially by paying for food, shelter, guards, clothing and everything else for potentially 80-90 years. Right?

As it turns out, the death penalty costs more than locking someone up until they die. Funnily enough it requires YEARS of legal battles to actually have someone face the death penalty, and several years of several lawyer's and judge's time, actually works out quite a bit more expensive than just paying a bloke to make sure 5-10 people don't escape, giving them some basic food and clothing and keeping a roof over their heads.

So given it's financially more viable to lock them up, the only reason to execute them is for retribution and/or personal satisfaction. That's not what the law is about, therefore I no longer believe in the death penalty.

Now you might argue "well if we cut the red tape and made it cheaper!". We already run the risk of imprisoning the wrong person for life, if we introduce the ability to accidentally execute the wrong person AND cut the barriers to potentially executing this wrong person, what kind of society are we?

It's a duff idea, so I'd just forget it.
Original post by markova21
People on Twitter have been reacting very angrily to it,as you would understand. People saying he needs to be executed. As I did too. Hence the reason for trying to set up the petition. It needs 5 sponsors to also sign it though for it to go live. Most of my friends I have spoken to ,asking them to consider signing my petition are opposed to it, in every circumstance. I guess it is human nature ,not only to be angry,but to also want our "pound of flesh". Just wondered what people on here thought about the Death Penalty for the very worst kind of paedos like this British man abroad.

what does it feel like being swayed by your emotions so easily? Logical, rational arguments lead to the abolishment of the death penalty, now you want to bring it back because you're angry? Do you realise how stupid that is?
Original post by Tabstercat
what does it feel like being swayed by your emotions so easily? Logical, rational arguments lead to the abolishment of the death penalty, now you want to bring it back because you're angry? Do you realise how stupid that is?

You're damn right i'm emotional and angry. God forbid you ever have children and they are abused. What would your reaction be to that person who harmed your child? Might it be, just give me ten minutes alone in a room with him? I bet it would be.
Original post by markova21
You're damn right i'm emotional and angry. God forbid you ever have children and they are abused. What would your reaction be to that person who harmed your child? Might it be, just give me ten minutes alone in a room with him? I bet it would be.

Hahaha, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You proved my point. We're all human, we all see that kind of hideous crime and our first reaction is disgust and a desire for revenge. But part of being an INTELLIGENT and RATIONAL person (which clearly you aren't) is moving past our base instincts and actually thinking about the wider picture. Most people are stupid, hence most people aren't capable of this, this is why so many people in the UK support bringing the Death Penalty back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending