The Student Room Group

What do I need for an A* in further maths? (and maths)

I've checked on the site for previous posts and read for quite a while now but my thick skull still isn't getting it.

As I understand it:
For an A* in maths I need 480/600 UMS in maths overall (AS + A2) and 180/200 UMS as the total of both C3 and C4
For the A* in Further maths however, I'll need 480/600 UMS overall and 270/300 UMS in my top 3 A2 subjects.

Now I know that C3 and C4 don't count towards the FM A*, so does that mean that I'll need 90% in 5 out of my 6 modules this year!? More precisely, an average of 90% in C3 and C4 as well as an average of 90% between the top 3 non-c3/c4 modules? Like... really?
I was relieved to find I 'only' had to get 225 UMS in F Maths and 191 in Maths, then I came across this crap and I can't believe it lol, now this seems like living hell :'c
I figured any difficulty in achieving A*s across different courses would vary on the person and their determination, I wouldn't think they'd literally make it fundamentally more difficult for one over the other... I just want to know if this is actually the case, thanks for any clarity on the matter
Reply 1
Original post by Callum Scott

As I understand it:
For an A* in maths I need 480/600 UMS in maths overall (AS + A2) and 180/200 UMS as the total of both C3 and C4
For the A* in Further maths however, I'll need 480/600 UMS overall and 270/300 UMS in my top 3 A2 subjects.

Now I know that C3 and C4 don't count towards the FM A*, so does that mean that I'll need 90% in 5 out of my 6 modules this year!? More precisely, an average of 90% in C3 and C4 as well as an average of 90% between the top 3 non-c3/c4 modules? Like... really?
I was relieved to find I 'only' had to get 225 UMS in F Maths and 191 in Maths, then I came across this crap and I can't believe it lol, now this seems like living hell :'c
I figured any difficulty in achieving A*s across different courses would vary on the person and their determination, I wouldn't think they'd literally make it fundamentally more difficult for one over the other... I just want to know if this is actually the case, thanks for any clarity on the matter

I really don't understand what you are complaining about- that's not a way of saying you need to man up, but I honestly don't get your point. The rules for an A* are standard across all A levels (80% overall average plus 90% at A2) except for the slight variations in Maths and Further Maths because of the choice available in those subjects. Arguably this makes the requirements for Maths and FM slightly easier - certainly they are 2 of the subjects where the highest % of candidates get A*s.

Maths and Further Maths are different A levels, you seem to be considering them as one and so thinking that having to average 90% across 5 out of 6 units was unfair - you'd have to average 90% across 6 out of 6 units for any other 2 A levels.
Original post by Compost
I really don't understand what you are complaining about- that's not a way of saying you need to man up, but I honestly don't get your point. The rules for an A* are standard across all A levels (80% overall average plus 90% at A2) except for the slight variations in Maths and Further Maths because of the choice available in those subjects. Arguably this makes the requirements for Maths and FM slightly easier - certainly they are 2 of the subjects where the highest % of candidates get A*s.

Maths and Further Maths are different A levels, you seem to be considering them as one and so thinking that having to average 90% across 5 out of 6 units was unfair - you'd have to average 90% across 6 out of 6 units for any other 2 A levels.

I was just checking that I was right in thinking you need those requirements for the A*s, since its quite confusing. I was just saying, from what I'd read I became convinced that I just needed [whatever] UMS in maths and [whatever] UMS in F maths; but after double checking and finding this stuff out, I guess it's gonna be a lot more... complicated :colonhash: I guess it seems a lot more reasonable now you've said A*s typically require 90%+, its just that people tend to do a lot better in certain modules [in maths], and to get pretty much 90% across the board seems a big challenge -- for me at least

Thanks for the help though
Reply 3
Original post by Callum Scott
I've checked on the site for previous posts and read for quite a while now but my thick skull still isn't getting it.

As I understand it:

This is correct.

Further Maths is inherently weird when it comes to giving you a grade. Your applied modules are also shifted around between your further maths and normal maths grades.

Your maths grade is maximised over your further maths grade. So if they decide that you can get an A* in maths but a B in further maths, they will do that over getting an A in maths and an A in further maths.

The 270/300 UMS is gained from FP2 or FP3 (or both) and two (or one) other applied A2 module (i.e., not S1, D1 or M1). And if, for example, you sat D1 and D2, and D1 was chosen to be a module for your maths grade, then D2 must also be assigned to your maths grade. You cannot have D1 in regular maths and then D2 in further maths.

Essentially, you need to perform very well in all your applied modules to do well in further maths.

It is more difficult, because further maths candidates generally do very well at the entire A-level maths & further maths course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by oinkk
The 270/300 UMS is gained from FP2 or FP3 (or both) and two (or one) other applied A2 module (i.e., not S1, D1 or M1).

The 270/300 you need in your best 3 A2 units in FM doesn't have to include FP2 or FP3, it is just your best 3 A2 units in FM. You could plausibly have done FP1, M1, FP2, M2, S2, D2 and achieved at least 270/300 in M2, S2 and D2 and gained an A*

Original post by oinkk
And if, for example, you sat D1 and D2, and D1 was chosen to be a module for your maths grade, then D2 must also be assigned to your maths grade. You cannot have D1 in regular maths and then D2 in further maths.

That's not correct. Your Maths grade applied units have to be both 1s (e.g. M1 and D1) or a pair of 1 and 2 (e.g. M1 & M2) but your applied units in FM can be ANYTHING not in Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
The 270/300 you need in your best 3 A2 units in FM doesn't have to include FP2 or FP3, it is just your best 3 A2 units in FM. You could plausibly have done FP1, M1, FP2, M2, S2, D2 and achieved at least 270/300 in M2, S2 and D2 and gained an A*

That's not correct. Your Maths grade applied units have to be both 1s (e.g. M1 and D1) or a pair of 1 and 2 (e.g. M1 & M2) but your applied units in FM can be ANYTHING not in Maths.

Thank you for the clarification :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending