The Student Room Group

Maths with economics at UCL or MORSE at Warwick?

Guys, I'm thinking of unis to apply for next year and I was wondering which of these courses I should put as one of my choices. I don't want to risk getting zero offers by applying to too many competitive unis so I want to choose one of these.

I know Warwick's MORSE course is more respected but I've also heard that it's far more difficult than UCL maths, which worries me because although I am quite good at A-Level maths and all right at some of the STEP questions I did, I am not naturally amazing at maths and I'm not one of those super keen guys who gets 100 UMS in every module (maybe C1, fingers crossed) and I am not that good at UKMT Senior Maths Challenges (got a Silver, not a gold) so I'm not a genius.

Btw, i live in London so I would save a lot of money on accomodation if I choose UCL.Also, I want to get into a career in trading, possibly some of the more complex products since that's what seems most interesting. Would doing maths with economics at UCL put me at a disadvantage for getting a trading internship compared to pure maths?

Any help would be appreciated a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, if you stalk me i posted a similar type of thread and i got some good replies.
Original post by inspiringtop123
Guys, I'm thinking of unis to apply for next year and I was wondering which of these courses I should put as one of my choices. I don't want to risk getting zero offers by applying to too many competitive unis so I want to choose one of these.

I know Warwick's MORSE course is more respected but I've also heard that it's far more difficult than UCL maths, which worries me because although I am quite good at A-Level maths and all right at some of the STEP questions I did, I am not naturally amazing at maths and I'm not one of those super keen guys who gets 100 UMS in every module (maybe C1, fingers crossed) and I am not that good at UKMT Senior Maths Challenges (got a Silver, not a gold) so I'm not a genius.

Btw, i live in London so I would save a lot of money on accomodation if I choose UCL.Also, I want to get into a career in trading, possibly some of the more complex products since that's what seems most interesting. Would doing maths with economics at UCL put me at a disadvantage for getting a trading internship compared to pure maths?

Any help would be appreciated a lot.

There's not much of a difference. I would personally (biased because I did just this) turn down UCL and save the headache of London prices until graduation.

MORSE, imo, is awesome for the flexibility of how much you can focus on each section of the degree vs just maths and econ. But, it depends entirely on what you value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
There's not much of a difference. I would personally (biased because I did just this) turn down UCL and save the headache of London prices until graduation.

MORSE, imo, is awesome for the flexibility of how much you can focus on each section of the degree vs just maths and econ. But, it depends entirely on what you value.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the guy said that it would be cheaper for him to go to UCL.

OP, I would say go for the course that contains the modules which interest you the most. Keep in mind that MORSE also contains a lot of statistics and Operaional research and is a bit more applied than UCL maths- so if, like me, you're more interested in and better at pure maths maybe choose UCL. But Warwick does have a better reputation for maths in particular.

As for difficulty, I have read some blogs of people doing MORSE and a common thing that they all say is that the workload is really high compared to other degrees and it is quite difficult (with Warwick being in COWI you can expect their course to be more difficult than UCL).

For trading, they're both as good as each other.
Original post by Trapz99

True. I was working under the assumption that they would want to move out at some point during their time at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Trapz99

OP, I would say go for the course that contains the modules which interest you the most. Keep in mind that MORSE also contains a lot of statistics and Operaional research and is a bit more applied than UCL maths- so if, like me, you're more interested in and better at pure maths maybe choose UCL. But Warwick does have a better reputation for maths in particular.

As for difficulty, I have read some blogs of people doing MORSE and a common thing that they all say is that the workload is really high compared to other degrees and it is quite difficult (with Warwick being in COWI you can expect their course to be more difficult than UCL).

For trading, they're both as good as each other.

Thanks guys for the help. Do you think it would be harder to get a 2:1 or a first in MORSE than UCL Maths with econ? Or would they be the same?
True. I was working under the assumption that they would want to move out at some point during their time at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, I'm planning on only moving out after my degree- i really don't want to waste that much money on accomodation right now. And besides, UCL is basically my nearest local uni- I could get there in less than 30 minutes, so I don't see any point in getting accomodation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks guys for the help. Do you think it would be harder to get a 2:1 or a first in MORSE than UCL Maths with econ? Or would they be the same?

Actually, I'm planning on only moving out after my degree- i really don't want to waste that much money on accomodation right now. And besides, UCL is basically my nearest local uni- I could get there in less than 30 minutes, so I don't see any point in getting accomodation.

I don't know which one's more difficult since I haven't done either yet but i would say UCL maths will probably be easier
Personally I'd choose UCL because London > Coventry and because UCL is generally a better and more prestigious uni than Warwick.

However, it's easier to get an offer for MORSE at Warwick (88% offer rate), than Maths with Economics at UCL (62% offer rate).
Original post by anonwinner
Personally I'd choose UCL because London > Coventry and because UCL is generally a better and more prestigious uni than Warwick.

However, it's easier to get an offer for MORSE at Warwick (88% offer rate), than Maths with Economics at UCL (62% offer rate).

I sense the butthurt

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sense the butthurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to either uni nor did I get rejected by either
Reply 10
I'm not going to either uni nor did I get rejected by either

You're correct, the other person has bias.

I agree that UCL is generally better and has more prestige globally than Warwick but for Maths related subjects, Warwick is the better of the two by quite a margin. All depends on what you're after I suppose, sounds to me like you're leaning towards UCL? With regards to which is easier, I'd be inclined to say it depends on your strengths but MORSE is a bit more flexible whereas at UCL the absence of financial woes could have quite a positive impact on your grades.

Wow I didn't know the offer rate was that high! I might apply to both then
I sense the butthurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol
Do you think that maths at a higher ranked maths department like Warwick or Imperial will be a lot harder than maths at UCL?
Lol
Do you think that maths at a higher ranked maths department like Warwick or Imperial will be a lot harder than maths at UCL?

Probably, but the difference isn't monumental imo. I'd think Imperial/Warwick would have a wider variety of courses tho.

Tbh, I don't really get why people bother with the whole UCL v Warwick thing. They're both 'respected' and have their fair share of international recognition. Same goes for all the top 10-15 or so unis in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow I didn't know the offer rate was that high! I might apply to both then

Apply to as many targets as you can.

The only truly competitive unis in the UK with low acceptance rates are Oxbridge, LSE, and ICL.
I sense the butthurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it's true?
Probably, but the difference isn't monumental imo. I'd think Imperial/Warwick would have a wider variety of courses tho.

Tbh, I don't really get why people bother with the whole UCL v Warwick thing. They're both 'respected' and have their fair share of international recognition. Same goes for all the top 10-15 or so unis in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highly unlikely for undergrads. Perhaps the difference will become clearer in the third year, but even then I doubt it.
Original post by tanyapotter
But it's true?

Ok, josé

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah Warwick = UCL in terms of prestige among employers but for the average person, they would probably think of UCL as being more prestigious than Warwick- a lot of people do care about that lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending