The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Just dropping by to say good luck on STEP 2016!

Now I have nothing to do over summer I've been tempted to just go over STEP again, maybe make some youtube videos on my favorite questions... Nothing in my first year of uni came close to the difficulty of STEP, although I did email my Differential Equations lecturer asking for harder questions like Q7 STEP III 2013, and turns out he liked it because he copied EXACTLY part a) of that question into our exam! I apologized discreetly to my fellow students about that :P

Original post by physicsmaths

Long time no see dude, how's STEP going for you? I'm guessing you're sitting it again this year for another shot at Cambridge? Really hope you do well! You must have put in how many hundred of hours now?
Original post by SamKeene
Just dropping by to say good luck on STEP 2016!

Now I have nothing to do over summer I've been tempted to just go over STEP again, maybe make some youtube videos on my favorite questions... Nothing in my first year of uni came close to the difficulty of STEP, although I did email my Differential Equations lecturer asking for harder questions like Q7 STEP III 2013, and turns out he liked it because he copied EXACTLY part a) of that question into our exam! I apologized discreetly to my fellow students about that :P

Long time no see dude, how's STEP going for you? I'm guessing you're sitting it again this year for another shot at Cambridge? Really hope you do well! You must have put in how many hundred of hours now?

Hello mate! Hope uni is going well!
Yes I reapplied and got an offer of S,1 in any order in II and III.
I spent alot of this year doing Olympiad Maths so not STEP but it took my ability in STEP to a much higher level. I just did random questions now and then when people did them on the thread throughout the year and have gone hardcore on STEP for the last few weeks now and it is going well! Let us hope I don't **** up the A level part aswell lol!
Hello mate! Hope uni is going well!
Yes I reapplied and got an offer of S,1 in any order in II and III.
I spent alot of this year doing Olympiad Maths so not STEP but it took my ability in STEP to a much higher level. I just did random questions now and then when people did them on the thread throughout the year and have gone hardcore on STEP for the last few weeks now and it is going well! Let us hope I don't **** up the A level part aswell lol!

have u tried Q9 2012 S2 ? im really struggling on it. I tried takin gmoments about the contact points of the top and bottom circle but it doesnt seem to work.
Can anyone tell me where a3a \geq 3 comes from in the mark scheme for STEP I 2015 Q7? Since when was 3 a critical value for a?
X

Mechanics 5 notation is so messed up in the textbooks. Isn't the proper notation for torque/moment of a force/couple as τ\tau and angular momentum is LL ? They use L for moment of a force and no notation for angular momentum lol. They need to get their notation straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duke Glacia
have u tried Q9 2012 S2 ? im really struggling on it. I tried takin gmoments about the contact points of the top and bottom circle but it doesnt seem to work.

Q10 you mean?
I will try it today as i have only done Q9 from the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q10 you mean?
I will try it today as i have only done Q9 from the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry its 2013 Q9 S2
sorry its 2013 Q9 S2

Oh I have done that.
Well
the situation is symmetric in terms of reactions.
So for first part just resolve for whole system vertically.
Now next part, consider the forces on one cylinder ! Take moments about centre of circle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
STEP 2 2014 mock didn't go outstandingly well, 69 marks is just short of the 1 boundary. Could've easily got another 10 marks if I didn't panic because of a bit of dodgy algebra at the start. Moral of the story is to fudge your algebra if it's not working out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I have done that.
Well
the situation is symmetric in terms of reactions.
So for first part just resolve for whole system vertically.
Now next part, consider the forces on one cylinder ! Take moments about centre of circle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did that and im getting
WsinθRdsin2θ+Fdcos2θ=0Wsin\theta-R_dsin2\theta+F_dcos2\theta=0 for taking moments(after cancelling radius)
(edited 7 years ago)
i did that and im getting
WsinθRdsin2θ+Fdcos2θ=0Wsin\theta-R_dsin2\theta+F_dcos2\theta=0 for taking moments(after cancelling radius)

One sec leme get home n i will write it out.
Did you take moments to get Fr between cylinders=friction between floor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
One sec leme get home n i will write it out.
Did you take moments to get Fr between cylinders=friction between floor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

soz m8 my method ****ed up i should take moments abt the lowed disc centre, but instead took moments abt the contact point of disc
Reply 92
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Can anyone tell me where a3a \geq 3 comes from in the mark scheme for STEP I 2015 Q7? Since when was 3 a critical value for a?

I can't remember the range of values for x, but it was something like -1/3<x<1, and if you substitute the maximum value in terms of a in for x then, those are the range of values a can have if the turning point is between -1/3 and 1.

Then if a is bigger than 3, then turning point is not inbetween -1/3 and 1, then the turning point is not within our range so the biggest value is when x=1.
(edited 7 years ago)
soz m8 my method ****ed up i should take moments abt the lowed disc centre, but instead took moments abt the contact point of disc

Yeh abot centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jacobe
I can't remember the range of values for x, but it was something like -1/3<x<1, and if you substitute the maximum value in terms of a in for x then, those are the range of values a can have if the turning point is between -1/3 and 1.

Then if a is bigger than 3, then turning point is not inbetween -1/3 and 1, then the turning point is not within our range so the biggest value is when x=1.

Ah, forgot to consider that. :facepalm:
Shoutout to everyone else that got tagged in this but has given up and accepted STEP is too hard for them :biggrin:
Yeh abot centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok ignore me then

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do I get better at Chapter 5 M5? The other chapters are piss easy and then you get to rotational dynamics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Shoutout to everyone else that got tagged in this but has given up and accepted STEP is too hard for them :biggrin:

Don't be silly, you've been doing well! :woo: Your offer isn't too bad to meet anyhow, and you can always still do CompSci even if you miss STEP, which should relax you a little. :smile:
just did a mock

Original post by ComputerMaths97

me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending