The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Roast
Calm down you melt. I'm 100% positive paedophilia is down to a genetic defect, it makes sense.

Of course paedophilia is vile, whether you act on it or not... sexually fantasising about children is deplorable.

It's not healthy to fantasise either, a lot of these sick freaks will eventually carry out their acts to some extent. It's in their nature.

You hear loads of stories about guys struggling with their sexuality and trying to contain it but end up either killing themselves or performing a sexual act. Paedophiles aren't any different.

It is pretty vile, but that doesn't necessarily make them monsters. Stories are also purely anecdotal evidence. If anything the number of men suddenly "coming out" in their 40's-60's these days now that being gay is more acceptable, should be an indication that plenty of people can resist their urges and get on with life.

You can't blame someone for a crime they haven't committed.

Also, I don't actually believe sexual tendencies are down to genetics, I believe their formed through nurture, not nature. I just found it interesting you state it's beyond their control, yet we should punish them for it, even if they've not acted on it at all.
I do. I never said there was any solid evidence, it's a genetic defect in my opinion.

There's certainly a gay gene, probably a straight gene too or a lack of, there has to be a gene for paedophilia because it is a sexually orientation in itself.

It's logical.

Well seeing that most cases of paedophilia are perpetrated by men, so it seems to be an issue with the 'Y' chromosome. Or it could be down to a segment of the brain itself, the sector that controls emotions.

I have never seen a study that has found a straight or gay gene. Some people state it is down to genes, however I believe it has far more to do with nurture than nature.
I'm disgusted by how a lot of people on here are able to see pedophiliac rapists as people who don't deserve to suffer. I get that the law "wouldn't work that way" but looking at what a lot of people are saying, they don't even see these horrible, sadistic people as bad even personally.
Original post by 2710
So you would rather someone carrying out revenge on you to murder your child rather than rape them if you had the choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a stupid thing to say. Why would I choose someone killing my child over anything. Did you read what I said
Original post by Elivercury
It is pretty vile, but that doesn't necessarily make them monsters. Stories are also purely anecdotal evidence. If anything the number of men suddenly "coming out" in their 40's-60's these days now that being gay is more acceptable, should be an indication that plenty of people can resist their urges and get on with life.

Who says they resisted the urges? They could very well have been seeing men during that time.

You can't blame someone for a crime they haven't committed.

No, of course not, but it still doesn't take away the fact they are revolting beings.

Also, I don't actually believe sexual tendencies are down to genetics, I believe their formed through nurture, not nature. I just found it interesting you state it's beyond their control, yet we should punish them for it, even if they've not acted on it at all.

So you're saying that if I were brought up in a different way, I could possibly have been gay? Ludicrous.

Straw man. I said no such thing.
I have never seen a study that has found a straight or gay gene. Some people state it is down to genes, however I believe it has far more to do with nurture than nature.

Studies carried out have found 'genetic markers'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/largest-ever-study-into-the-gay-gene-erodes-the-notion-that-sexual-orientation-is-a-choice-9875855.html

If they looked at my genes they'd probably not find it :smile:
Original post by lotusbloom
It's quackery.

How do you think Paedophilia is caused then? Just personal choice?

What aspects of nurture would cause someone to be gay?
Who says they resisted the urges? They could very well have been seeing men during that time.

No, of course not, but it still doesn't take away the fact they are revolting beings.

So you're saying that if I were brought up in a different way, I could possibly have been gay? Ludicrous.

Straw man. I said no such thing.

Who says they didn't? That's the trouble with anecdotal evidence, it's ultimately fairly useless.

Again, you state they are revolting human beings because of the way they are born and had zero control over. Can you be blamed for something you had zero control over? That's usually considered discrimination.

Committing crimes on the other hand, is totally voluntary and therefore is understandable punished.

I believe there is every chance that brought up in a different environment you would have turned out straight. Possibly even transexual? Who knows.

Also your link to the independent article proves nothing. Numerous things are published regularly that were created with poor methods, if not totally fabricated.
Original post by libidothief
I'm disgusted by how a lot of people on here are able to see pedophiliac rapists as people who don't deserve to suffer. I get that the law "wouldn't work that way" but looking at what a lot of people are saying, they don't even see these horrible, sadistic people as bad even personally.

Wait until you realise free will is an illusion and most things are determined. You'll stop worrying about personal responsibility so much.
Original post by Tabstercat
Wait until you realise free will is an illusion and most things are determined. You'll stop worrying about personal responsibility so much.

I'm on about morals, not responsibility.
I'm on about morals, not responsibility.

Obviously morality and responsibility are linked. Can you morally judge an action for which there is no or diminished responsibility?
What aspects of nurture would cause someone to be gay?

Who knows? Nurture is responsible for a great many things. Perhaps you simply grew up in an area with more attractive boys than girls. Perhaps you had bad experiences with girls growing up. Perhaps it was that cartoon you watched once.

Nurture is something that occurs over a long period and across thousands of interactions. I consider the idea of sexual orientation being defined by genetics being as likely as people's genetics making them suitable for certain careers (ignoring sports ofc).
Obviously morality and responsibility are linked. Can you morally judge an action for which there is no or diminished responsibility?

They're linked but nowhere near exact.
Also, pedophiles are responsible for their actions.
Death penalty would achieve nothing in the long term. If we bothered to get to addressing whatever mental disturbances caused people to want to shag kids we could well stop the abuse from happening in the first place, which sounds marginally more productive than forming lynch mobs after the event.
They're linked but nowhere near exact.
Also, pedophiles are responsible for their actions.

Responsibility and freedom are necessary for moral judgement.
I don't think there can be any real moral responsibility when so many aspects of crime are deterministic.
Flawed.

In my opinion, much like homosexuality, heterosexuality, bisexuality, beastiality, paedophilia is down to the genes. Of course I'm not throwing homosexuality and paedophilia/beastiality in the same bucket, my point is that these are all "sexualities".

Back in the days when we thought homosexuality was a crime against nature and tried to fix it, we won't be able to fix paedophilia. The men, and some times women, who "suffer" from it will continue to have those urges and will not be able to control them.

So we cannot rehabilitate them, it's who they are and who they always will be - vile monsters.

But it's not a sexuality, it's a mental disorder as stated in the DSM-V.

My point stands about the death penalty. Killing people never achieved anything and even in places where the death penalty is legal, the crimes which have the death penalty as a potential punishment still occur.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy

It's considered a sexual preference by the WHO. DSM is just published by the APA.

So many acronyms :sexface:
I simply don't agree with capital punishment in an form and for any reason.
Reply 179
Original post by Deyesy

Well they would say that wouldn't they.

How about locking them all up under the mental health act then?

Quick Reply

Latest