The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you want this country to remain as a Christian nation?

This poll is closed

Do you want this country to remain as a Christian nation?

Remain Christian 35%
Lean towards Islam 17%
Lean towards Atheism48%
Total votes: 46
Gradually as Christianity declines in our culture we can see that Atheism and Islam kind of fill it's place. Is this a bad thing or a good thing? Do you want this country to remain as a Christian country?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. Britain should remain a Christian nation.
Reply 2
ATHEISM
Yes
Being atheist myself, obviously I would prefer atheism to be more prevalent
No. I want all countries to be secular.
I don't care about whether Christianity declines or not, but I certainly want the government to further seperate itself from religion. The government shouldn't have a predefined religious standpoint.
Reply 7
People can have whatever beliefs they want. It shouldn't be anything to do with the government.

In declaring a country to be a "Christian country" or "Muslim country" in any meaning beyond whatever religion happens to be a majority, you right away create the idea of "us" and "them". No-one needs that.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Being atheist myself, obviously I would prefer atheism to be more prevalent

same, i would ideally like everything to be secular in the uk (sunday trading laws have always got on my nerves especially).
Original post by claireestelle
same, i would ideally like everything to be secular in the uk (sunday trading laws have always got on my nerves especially).

I agree!
Reply 10
Do we call ourselves a female nation (since women outnumber men)? How about a Tory nation? Even if a group make up a majority (or at least largest minority) of the populace, I don't see why that should then mean the entire nation should wear that label.
As an athiest, i'd prefer it stayed Christian
Reply 12
Original post by Dez
Do we call ourselves a female nation (since women outnumber men)? How about a Tory nation? Even if a group make up a majority (or at least largest minority) of the populace, I don't see why that should then mean the entire nation should wear that label.

Going down that road we end up as an English nation.

*shudder*
Reply 13
Original post by offhegoes
Going down that road we end up as an English nation.

*shudder*

And if we keep going, the UK is a London nation. Sadly not far from the truth…
We don't worship God anymore, we worship ideas :smile:
Reply 15
If i remember rightly, feel free to correct me otherwise, but doesnt the majority of the population [or atleast more than any single religion] identify as athiest/agnostic or was it simply bugger all attend church any more?
I'd prefer atheism, but I'd take Christianity over Islam any day.
Original post by TrueDetective01
We don't worship God anymore, we worship ideas :smile:

You can liken a religion and its ideology as a bunch of ideas?

Even better, an amalgamation of ideas.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think we should remain a Christian nation but that the government should be separate from Christian ideas and whatnot.
Original post by banterboy
As an athiest, i'd prefer it stayed Christian

Agreed. I consider myself culturally Christian, even though as an atheist I ridicule all religions.

Latest

Trending

Trending