The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iMacJack
23 marks? This is GCSE maths man...

For the that tree diagram tennis question i put at the rains slot
Matched is cancelled 0.7
Match is not cancelled 0.3

0.8 where it says does not rain and by accident 0.5 at match is cancelled.
Do i still get 2/3 for getting the other slots right?
Reply 2341
Original post by Meegan543210
What do you guys think the calculator paper is going to be like? Lol I think it's going to be wayyy more hard than this paper :frown:

There were no cumulative frequency, histogram, stem and leaf, scatter, etc. questions in paper 1 so I believe (and hope) paper 2 will have an unusual amount of statistics questions. :biggrin:
23 marks? This is GCSE maths man...

Also do you get marks for working out even if the answer is wrong, but the working out was the correct way?
I 100% think i got 32 marks on this non calc paper, i'm aiming for a grade C.
I think I got around 80 on the non-calculator paper, possibly up to about 83 give or take. Last year, it was 155/200 for an A*, which would mean I would have needed about 75 in the calculator. I am usually an a* student in maths, and I found the non-calculator rather tricky, so I know I will do better in the next exam for sure!!

However, just incase it all goes wrong, what do you think an a* is going to be out of 200 to put my mind at rest?!!
Original post by lucygr8y
I think I got around 80 on the non-calculator paper, possibly up to about 83 give or take. Last year, it was 155/200 for an A*, which would mean I would have needed about 75 in the calculator. I am usually an a* student in maths, and I found the non-calculator rather tricky, so I know I will do better in the next exam for sure!!

However, just incase it all goes wrong, what do you think an a* is going to be out of 200 to put my mind at rest?!!

well I'm in the same situation as you- I got 183/200 in my mock and to get that overall I'm going to need 103 on paper 2 (impossible!). I think for that reason, they'll be quite low- 162ish maybe so find 1 extra mark on the calc and you'll be fine
Original post by Lucofthewoods
well I'm in the same situation as you- I got 183/200 in my mock and to get that overall I'm going to need 103 on paper 2 (impossible!). I think for that reason, they'll be quite low- 162ish maybe so find 1 extra mark on the calc and you'll be fine

I made so many stupid mistakes in the non-calc, so if I hadn't of made these stupid adding errors, I would probably get about 87. I want to get around 90 in order to maybe get an A*!
Were the grade boundaries low last year then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah it was 155 to get an a* but compared to our paper that paper last year was just something else so I don't think this years grade boundaries will be that low
Original post by Meegan543210
Yeah it was 155 to get an a* but compared to our paper that paper last year was just something else so I don't think this years grade boundaries will be that low
Definitely not that low unfortunately.:s-smilie:
Original post by lucygr8y

My teacher and other people think grade boundaries are gonna be at about 167-170/200 this year.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
My teacher and other people think grade boundaries are gonna be at about 167-170/200 this year.

My friend (who did his Maths GCSE is Year 9 and got an A*) says that perpendicular and parallel lines might come up. Coordinate geometry, histograms, cumulative frequency and also bearings. Just all ideas but revise everything. Good luck everyone!
Original post by MezmorisedPotato

no depends what the cal paper is like if it hard the boundaries will drop
Original post by K.H.A.N™
An 'A' is predicted to be around 135 marks ish (predicted by my mum whom is a head of maths at Manchester grammar) so 88ish marks but to be sure aim higher.

I think 135 would be unlikely as that's the highest it's ever been. I think more around 130 would be reasonable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This test is actually decent, i'm going to be so screwed next year when I sit the the new 9-1 specification.. :frown:
If anyone is struggling with a question, tell me the details of the question and I'll provide an answer for you to stop ye debating (hopefully)

Posted from TSR Mobile

for one answer -5m+10 i changed to 10-5m would i still get the marks
Original post by Revathyvk
for one answer -5m+10 i changed to 10-5m would i still get the marks

Yes you will get full marks for that question since they are basically the same expressions.
(edited 7 years ago)
what would 167/200 get me?
Original post by esmeralda123
what would 167/200 get me?
Most definitely an A*.:smile: Unless paper 2 is extremely easy, which I highly doubt.
Original post by hamza772000
Most definitely an A*.:smile: Unless paper 2 is extremely easy, which I highly doubt.

What do you think the grade boundaries for an A* would be, if the calculator paper was easy?
Original post by esmeralda123
What do you think the grade boundaries for an A* would be, if the calculator paper was easy?
The highest they've been in the last few years for our specification is 169/200 for an A*, I don't think they would be anything above that, and judging by this paper although it was surprisingly easy compared to last year's some people still found it hard, so I highly doubt they would be 169/200, they will definitely be higher than last year's though as 155/200(last year's grade boundaries) for an A* is a joke.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hamza772000
The highest they've been in the last few years for our specification is 169/200 for an A*, I don't think they would be anything above that, and judging by this paper although it was surprisingly easy compared to last year's some people still found it hard, so I highly doubt they would be 169/200, they will definitely be higher than last year's though as 155/200(last year's grade boundaries) for an A* is a joke.

I think 166 maximum for an A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending