The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
It's considered a sexual preference by the WHO. DSM is just published by the APA.

So many acronyms :sexface:

A 'preference' puts it in the same boat as homosexuality, pansexuality etc. and it's absolutely nothing like them imho.

Original post by hovado
Well they would say that wouldn't they.

How about locking them all up under the mental health act then?

I said in my original post they should be locked away for a very long time. I'm not trying to say paedophilia is right or it's okay because it's not. It's vile. I just don't think killing every convicted paedophile is the way forward...
(edited 7 years ago)
I think it is a good thing that certain States in the US have the Death Penalty. Other countries have it too.[Not sure which ones exactly]. Yes of course, it hasn't solved the problem of child abuse. But I would imagine no matter how "instinctive" a paedophile might be ,if he were faced with the prospect of the death penalty it just might make him stop and think and therefore,save a child. [Yes, I know that it is mainly murderers who are given the death penalty in the US ,not child abusers, I was just using that as an example of the death penalty in the US]. What's the country in the Far East where drug trafficking carries the death penalty? I've seen the airport on TV with warning signs written in English.
Original post by Deyesy
A 'preference' puts it in the same boat as homosexuality, pansexuality etc. and it's absolutely nothing like them imho.

Well, yes. That is what it is considered by these institutions.

It's a controversial statement to make, because then people think you are 'comparing' homosexuals etc to pedophiles or tarnishing perfectly legitimate sexual preferences to a not so legitimate preference. But, it is exactly that. A sexual preference, by definition.

And, just to clarify before people jump down my throat again.

Pedophilia, whilst not illegal, is very wrong.

Homosexuality is a beautiful thing and is not wrong at all.
Original post by markova21
I think it is a good thing that certain States in the US have the Death Penalty. Other countries have it too.[Not sure which ones exactly]. Yes of course, it hasn't solved the problem of child abuse. But I would imagine no matter how "instinctive" a paedophile might be ,if he were faced with the prospect of the death penalty it just might make him stop and think and therefore,save a child. [Yes, I know that it is mainly murderers who are given the death penalty in the US ,not child abusers, I was just using that as an example of the death penalty in the US]. What's the country in the Far East where drug trafficking carries the death penalty? I've seen the airport on TV with warning signs written in English.

how does it save a child?

There are many countries that have the death penalty for drug trafficking. Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Taiwan etc.
Well, yes. That is what it is considered by these institutions.

It's a controversial statement to make, because then people think you are 'comparing' homosexuals etc to pedophiles or tarnishing perfectly legitimate sexual preferences to a not so legitimate preference. But, it is exactly that. A sexual preference, by definition.

And, just to clarify before people jump down my throat again.

Pedophilia, whilst not illegal, is very wrong.

Homosexuality is a beautiful thing and is not wrong at all.

The point I was making is that it shouldn't be seen as a sexual preference because the other types of sexuality and there many, many numbers of them and as you say, they are beautiful things and people who have their own preferences (everything apart from paedophilia) bring ALOT to society.

Put it in the same bracket opens up the door to the comparison, when it nothing could be more wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)

The death penalty isn't much of a deterrence in the US for example states that still use the death penalty usually still have the same or higher murder rate compared to states without the death penalty (I used this website http://deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=82). Many countries still use the death penalty (only Belarus in Europe) and those that use it don't have significantly lower crimes rates for crimes punishable by death. There is also the fact that you may accidentally kill innocent people it has happened and it could happen again. Also implementing the death penalty can be a slippery slope, if we implement it for just paedophiles then politicians might decide why not mass murderers, then maybe also bank robbers and gradually less severe crimes may then be punishable by death.
Original post by Deyesy
But it's not a sexuality, it's a mental disorder as stated in the DSM-V.

My point stands about the death penalty. Killing people never achieved anything and even in places where the death penalty is legal, the crimes which have the death penalty as a potential punishment still occur.

Paedophiles are sexually attracted to children, therefore it's a sexuality or sexual preference towards children.

I suspect the people claiming it isn't are those who don't want to see homosexuality and the other "normal" sexualities next to paedophilia.
Original post by Deyesy
The point I was making is that it shouldn't be seen as a sexual preference because the other types of sexuality and there many, many numbers of them and as you say, they are beautiful things and people who have their own preferences (everything apart from paedophilia) bring ALOT to society.

Put it in the same bracket opens up the door to the comparison, when it nothing could be more wrong.

I sort of agree. There is still debate whether it's considered paraphilia (in the DSM) or the document published by WHO, I think it's called the International Classification of Diseases which claim it's a sexual preference.

Either way, it's a definition. It's not there to distinguish what is right and what is wrong morally.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm sorry, to confirm, are you trying to tell us that the country with (to my knowledge) the highest incarceration rate in the world is "doing it right"?

I imagine if the death penalty was such a deterrent then there wouldn't be so many people in prison in the states.

It is not a viable policy in any way shape or form, and I say this as someone who until relatively recently supported the death penalty.
Incidentally, bestiality and paedophilia are both illegal (rightfully) and scorned behaviour.

Where do we fall on "puppy play", "furries" and "loli's"? People who, with consenting adults, create fantasies over these taboo areas in a mature and (debatably) healthy manner?
Original post by Elivercury
Incidentally, bestiality and paedophilia are both illegal (rightfully) and scorned behaviour.

Where do we fall on "puppy play", "furries" and "loli's"? People who, with consenting adults, create fantasies over these taboo areas in a mature and (debatably) healthy manner?

Beastiality is a crime because it's defined as the act, where as zoophilia is the sexual preference and is not illegal. Just as pedophilia (the sexual preference) is not illegal.
Original post by The Roast
Paedophiles are sexually attracted to children, therefore it's a sexuality or sexual preference towards children.

I suspect the people claiming it isn't are those who don't want to see homosexuality and the other "normal" sexualities next to paedophilia.

How am I claiming something when it's actually seen a mental disorder in the DSM-V? Personally, no. I don't want to see the other sexualities next to paedophilia because there's evidently something inherently something up with you have a sexual preference for children but we should help these people not kill them.

Original post by Elivercury
I'm sorry, to confirm, are you trying to tell us that the country with (to my knowledge) the highest incarceration rate in the world is "doing it right"?

I imagine if the death penalty was such a deterrent then there wouldn't be so many people in prison in the states.

It is not a viable policy in any way shape or form, and I say this as someone who until relatively recently supported the death penalty.

I tried to make this point yesterday but got ignored by the OP yesterday :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
how does it save a child?

There are many countries that have the death penalty for drug trafficking. Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Taiwan etc.

It might save a child from being abused because if the abuser knows if he is caught and convicted he faces the prospect of being hanged it might make him stop and think otherwise.
Original post by Deyesy
How am I claiming something when it's actually seen a mental disorder in the DSM-V? Personally, no. I don't want to see the other sexualities next to paedophilia because there's evidently something inherently something up with you have a sexual preference for children but we should help these people not kill them.

Well it's seen as a sexual preference by WHO so dilly ding dily dong.

Of course you don't... even though I'm certain sexuality for the same sex and sexuality for children affect the same part of the brain :rolleyes: (again, there's no evidence for this, but I'd wager).

In what way can we "help" paedos? You can't stop them from thinking about children in that way, it's part of who they are, just like you can't stop a homo thinking about bumming another hot stud he sees.
It might save a child from being abused because if the abuser knows if he is caught and convicted he faces the prospect of being hanged it might make him stop and think otherwise.

That makes zero sense.

If (s)he is caught and sentenced to life in prison, how can they then commit any further crimes? You don't have to kill them to achieve the same effect.

As I said yesterday, I'm pretty sure people still commit crimes in US states which have the death penalty as a punishment; it was as a good a deterrent as you're making it out to possibly be, this wouldn't be the case.

Of course you don't... even though I'm certain sexuality for the same sex and sexuality for children affect the same part of the brain :rolleyes: (again, there's no evidence for this, but I'd wager).

In what way can we "help" paedos? You can't stop them from thinking about children in that way, it's part of who they are, just like you can't stop a homo thinking about bumming another hot stud he sees.

If there is no evidence, how can you make this statement?

You can treat pedophiles to be able to control their urges, apparently.
Reply 197
Original post by Deyesy

I said in my original post they should be locked away for a very long time. I'm not trying to say paedophilia is right or it's okay because it's not. It's vile. I just don't think killing every convicted paedophile is the way forward...

Just wondered if with it being a mental disorder according to the corrupt APA, you think we should lock them up under the mental health act whether convicted or not.
If there is no evidence, how can you make this statement?

You can treat pedophiles to be able to control their urges, apparently.

By attempting the same things done to homosexuals to stop their urges? BS, it'll never work.

Because it's my opinion/theory.

It's a sexuality, an uncontrollable sexual preference - so much so that the paedophiles themselves can't understand why they do it or why they feel such a way.

Have you ever asked a gay person why they feel such a way towards a member of the opposite sex? Or a straight guy... all I can answer is that I like women exclusively and that's it.

So we'll just have to respectfully disagree on whether it's a sexual preference or a mental disorder.

Are you somewhat suggesting that if I see paedophilia as separate to all of the other sexualities, that because they're from the same part of the brain; I see the other types of sexuality as wrong? Or am I missing the point? :redface:

Trust me on this; you can stop thoughts from happening. My anti-depressants dampen any negative thoughts I have. My first anti-depressant also basically ceased any sex drive I had and although I'm not saying 'Hey! Let's put all paedophiles on ADs', I'm showing it's possible to lower people's sex drive quite dramatically or lower interest in their sexual preference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending