The Student Room Group

Eu: In or out?

Scroll to see replies

If the EU lied last time, or at least our political class, and people were having imposed on them not what they thought, ie 'greater and greater integration', why should they not be doing it this time? They lost the Eurozone case and this is the same. Vested interests, power, money, people who know what's best for you talking down to you, and a fear campaign. Do not let it win I say.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I've already heard a lot of business people saying they could sell so much better outside, that customers from other countries were having to pay more because of the EU.

I am not disagreeing with you. But for every person whinging about selling outside the EU, there is another who benefits from being in the EU. 45% or exports are to the EU. That is the largest single market. Why would you ditch half your customer base on the hope that things might be better elsewhere? You sound like a gold prospector and you only have to watch Gold Divers to see how pointless that is most of the time.

Anyway - the EU didn't stop China investing £30 billion in the UK. Whatever happens there will be winners and losers. It just boils down to the decision about what effects you the most.

If interest rates go sky high, I lose my house
If house prices fall significantly, that is really bad for me
If the economy tumbles and I lose my job that is really really bad for me and my family.
I can't afford to take the risk of what might happen. I am staying in!
Reply 302
Original post by ByEeek

It's pretty good for everyone else in the country. Almost impossible for young people to enter the housing market. Selfish baby boomers have pretty much locked the younger generation out of the market by buying all the property and renting it.

Don't be selfish.
Original post by ByEeek
I am not disagreeing with you. But for every person whinging about selling outside the EU, there is another who benefits from being in the EU. 45% or exports are to the EU. That is the largest single market. Why would you ditch half your customer base on the hope that things might be better elsewhere? You sound like a gold prospector and you only have to watch Gold Divers to see how pointless that is most of the time.

Anyway - the EU didn't stop China investing £30 billion in the UK. Whatever happens there will be winners and losers. It just boils down to the decision about what effects you the most.

If interest rates go sky high, I lose my house
If the economy tumbles and I lose my job that is really really bad for me and my family.
I can't afford to take the risk of what might happen. I am staying in!

Ok, but you took my whole post out. I'd ditch it because there is the whole world, it is not that competitive, it is protectionist, it is bureaucratic, and undemocratic.
I don't like the status quo, and have no fear whatsoever about changing it, fear of course being the primary weapon of remainers. Independence is absolute for me. And the EU is progressive people say, so why do we have so many people on the poverty line, can't afford accommodation, in debt, living on food donations. We could even be a lot poorer short term, and it would only be short term, and take the bottom people out of this situation, but could it be that these oh so benevolent globalists don't actually want to do that? That's the type of thing far more likely to happen in a sovereign nation that is, as they say, a 'home not a hotel'. And why are you listening to far based nonsense about house prices from that ultracynic Osbourne? Cameron also said there'd be genocide, he will stoop to anything. Regarding that for example, We are told the EU preserved 70 years of peace, so why has the bosnian genocide, which happened on it's doorstep, one of the worst in history, allowed to happen?
It is literally like fact does not have to feature in their argument. C'mon man, genocide one minute, house prices the next? Cameron even used his disabled kid to say how much he wants to protect the NHS, why believe these snakes?
Original post by EuanF
It's pretty good for everyone else in the country. Almost impossible for young people to enter the housing market. Selfish baby boomers have pretty much locked the younger generation out of the market by buying all the property and renting it.

Don't be selfish.

They lead the world in it, that generation, you could even go as far as to say they are the worst in the world and history, when you look at the relative predicaments of the old and the young, and how they claim to be about the 'public interest'.
And with the worst ills of English establishment, corruption lies, injustice, they have all occurred within the EU, why do people act like it's a panacea, or some sort of antidote to wicked Westminster? We just get the worst of both worlds.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Brexiter here.

I got the IN leaflet yesterday. Wrote "Send to 10 Downing Street and tell the PM he's an idiot."

Never felt so liberated.

now that's what i call EDGY
Original post by EuanF

Don't be selfish.

That was my take on the housing market until I settled down with my now wife. All that has actually happened is that during the housing boom of the early 2000s, with the exception of London and parts of the SE, the cost of housing has expanded to take into account the income of two people where as previously it was easy for one person to buy a house. Add a supply and demand problem and you have the perfect storm. But there is much hope for young folks. Within a couple of miles of my house there is a reasonable glut of sub £100k houses.

I am not sure how owning my own house is selfish though. Some folks want out for simple sovereignty. They don't care what happens to the country. As long as we have our sovereignty. They sadly don't realise that sovereignty doesn't feed you.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Ok, but you took my whole post out. I'd ditch it because there is the whole world, it is not that competitive, it is protectionist, it is bureaucratic, and undemocratic.

But so is the rest of the world. Have you travelled to the US recently? You think you have arrived when you get off the plane forgetting that you still have a good hour+ to get through immigration. China is no better. You have to fill in your visa application and add £85 per person to the cost of your trip and hope it comes back in a reasonable length of time.

This idea that there is a Eutopia to be had outside Europe is a myth. If Trump gets in there will be no deal with the US. He is the embodiment of protectionism. India isn't interested in trade deals and as we found out recently, dealing with China will be very much on their terms mainly because we are so desperate to sell out for their cash. So that leaves the odds-and-sods left over whilst we turn our back on the one market that is really easy to deal with. Crazy!
In!!!
Because the majority of young people are left wingers thank god. And its because weve grown up with poverty caused by austerity.
Reply 310
Original post by ByEeek
That was my take on the housing market until I settled down with my now wife. All that has actually happened is that during the housing boom of the early 2000s, with the exception of London and parts of the SE, the cost of housing has expanded to take into account the income of two people where as previously it was easy for one person to buy a house. Add a supply and demand problem and you have the perfect storm. But there is much hope for young folks. Within a couple of miles of my house there is a reasonable glut of sub £100k houses.

I am not sure how owning my own house is selfish though. Some folks want out for simple sovereignty. They don't care what happens to the country. As long as we have our sovereignty. They sadly don't realise that sovereignty doesn't feed you.

Sub 100k isn't reasonable you muppet hahahaha

Original post by ByEeek
If Trump gets in there will be no deal with the US.

Trump has expressed support for Brexit and said we'd be at the front of the queue for trade deals

Military isolationism =! trade isolationism.
UMMM

DAILY REMINDER THE EU INVENTED TRADE

so um yeah good luck trading if we leave sweetheart :smile:
Original post by EuanF
Sub 100k isn't reasonable you muppet hahahaha

Ummm - it is. Unless you are suggesting that a single person on minimum wage should be able to afford to buy a house - something I don't think has been possible ever.

Original post by EuanF
Trump has expressed support for Brexit and said we'd be at the front of the queue for trade deals

Military isolationism =! trade isolationism.

When someone reminds him that trade deals involve foreign companies being allowed to compete with good o'll American companies, perhaps he might revert to his theory that China is raping the US.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have in mind for these trade deals. Would would we gain and what would we offer?
Original post by ByEeek
Ummm - it is. Unless you are suggesting that a single person on minimum wage should be able to afford to buy a house - something I don't think has been possible ever.

When someone reminds him that trade deals involve foreign companies being allowed to compete with good o'll American companies, perhaps he might revert to his theory that China is raping the US.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have in mind for these trade deals. Would would we gain and what would we offer?

yes!!! so true!!!

the eu LITERALLY invented trade you SILLY BREXIT HEADS!!! NOBODY ELSE TRADES!!!!!!!
To all those complaining about immigrants "stealing" jobs: If someone from another country, with no contacts or money and frequently limited knowledge of the language can steal your job then you deserve to have your job stolen.
Original post by string210
Apparently according to paper's i've read recently it suggests alot of students are going to vote in, and the majority of brexiters are middle aged to pensioners.
I'm personally a brexiter but apparently i'm in the minority. Also if we did vote to leave, who would be prime minister , david cameron or someone else?

So doing a few straw poll's because i'm interested so see if that's true.

A lot of students probably are going to vote in because the believe all the clap trap from politicians about them having opportunities in Europe. Trust me there are no 'opportunities in Europe for the English - you need to speak their native language real well before you might even have a chance at a job.

There are no benefits to being in the EU, they only take from us, that's why they want us to remain, because the UK is a wealthy country and many EU countires are debt ridden and want to sponge off us.

Being a student with no real life experience in the real world puts you in a cushioned comfort world cut off from the realities of real life that only become apparent after you graduate - its akin to being a member of the royal family with no clue as to what really happens in the real world. Your told a load of bull about the benefits of the EU, what you get - in realty once outside of uni you find the EU just makes life incredibly difficult by taking away all your opportunities and making you compete against hordes of migrants for even the simplest low paying job.
The EU gives the UK a chance to compete with the more powerful countries, so I think it's best to remain in the EU.

Brexit would be an economic disaster for the UK. All Brexiters whinge about is sovereignty and immigration. You would think that the UK is being ruled by a theocratic regime. The EU has very little influence on major UK laws, and also David Cameron recently got a deal where the UK parliament can block certain EU legislation. So, I don't get all the fear mongering that is being promulgated by the Brexiters. Also, on immigration: There are more immigrants from outside the EU (188,000) than there from within the EU (184,000) per year, so the whole debate on immigration doesn't add up. It is in itself, a pointless charade.

Thus, the UK should stay in a reformed EU.
Staying in the EU for the sake of travel, not having to deal with Visas, and being able to leave this country in the near future without having to deal with all sorts of random stuff. Also because supposedly they're going to remove a lot of environmental regulation.
I'd like to be able to vote for who's in charge so I want to leave the EU.
Original post by klosovic
I'd like to be able to vote for who's in charge so I want to leave the EU.

Um the eu invented democracy and boris johnson will privatise the ballot papers so ummmmm good luck honey

Quick Reply