The Student Room Group

Why can we not all accept each other?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheIr0nDuke
It promotes intolerance, bigotry, extremism, and undermines the Christian values of the UK. Moderate muslims in small numbers I have no issue with, but how can you tell? It's nigh impossible.

Until a genuine conservative party comes along (not the left wing Torys masquerading as such) I will continue to vote UKIP.

OK. I respect your views, I'm female muslim and I'm sorry you feel like that but Islam does not oppress me. Christians and muslims have similar values and in the Qur'an, Christians and Jews are deemed as the people of the book and we do believe in all the prophets that you believe in such as Jesus, Moses, Adam, Abraham etc. When I was in primary school, whether you were Christian or not, we had to go to Church before Easter, Christmas etc so I'm sure Christian values are still there, my sisters that are still in primary school do the same thing.
Original post by student.feed
OK. I respect your views, I'm female muslim and I'm sorry you feel like that but Islam does not oppress me. Christians and muslims have similar values and in the Qur'an, Christians and Jews are deemed as the people of the book and we do believe in all the prophets that you believe in such as Jesus, Moses, Adam, Abraham etc. When I was in primary school, whether you were Christian or not, we had to go to Church before Easter, Christmas etc so I'm sure Christian values are still there, my sisters that are still in primary school do the same thing.

Then you're in the minority, unfortunately. If there were more like you, the right wing would have much less of an issue with Islam.

Christian values are being diluted now unfortunately. Children nowadays know nothing of Christ, the Church, the Bible, the story of Easter etc. I have spoken to Muslims before and most have been fine people, but the odd few are incredibly rude, intolerant and openly hostile towards Christianity. It's these that myself and the far right don't have any respect for.
Then you're in the minority, unfortunately. If there were more like you, the right wing would have much less of an issue with Islam.

Christian values are being diluted now unfortunately. Children nowadays know nothing of Christ, the Church, the Bible, the story of Easter etc. I have spoken to Muslims before and most have been fine people, but the odd few are incredibly rude, intolerant and openly hostile towards Christianity. It's these that myself and the far right don't have any respect for.

Tbh those people who are rude I wouldn't appreciate either. In Islam, we are taught to respect others especially those of Abrahamic religions. I'm sorry you had experiences. I can assure you that Christianity is still taught in schools thoroughly but especially muslims would know as our religion is closely related ( we also believe in the coming of Jesus when it is Judgement Day)
Original post by maskofsanity
Of course, the chronological version was the most telling.

It is a work of potent intolerance and evil. Its fundamentals are clear and it has created what pseudo-Muslims call "fundamentalists" or "extremists", and what a non-biased reader of the Quran calls an accurate interpretation of the text.

There is only one version of the Qur'an. You cannot change it. I feel a lie coming from you.
Original post by Mathemagicien
You rather surprisingly forgot to mention LGBT rights, womens' rights, and people like ISIS

Yes, they should be improved. Don't get me started on ISIS.
Because humans will always find some way to seperate and discriminate. It's in our nature.
People are scared to have nothing to stand against in the face of others.

thats really sad! honestly muslims need to understand that even in the 7th century there were different religions and Muhammad did not treat them like dirt.

Its really sad when you see a muslims hating on another religion, like no, they are accepting us, we must accept them.
Original post by student.feed
Yes, they should be improved. Don't get me started on ISIS.

so me everytime people go "muslims are terrorists" "daesh did this" like no punk, they dont represent the majority
Original post by Kieran1996
Because humans will always find some way to seperate and discriminate. It's in our nature.

Best way of never achieving something: accept that it can't be done.

Anyway, humans deny our most basic urges all the time, we use reason and logic to open more opportunities to us as individuals and as a collective, why should we continue to hold ourselves hostage to something that is making our lives worse?
Original post by sfaraj
so me everytime people go "muslims are terrorists" "daesh did this" like no punk, they dont represent the majority

True, as a muslim I have heard all muslims are terrorists
Not everyone/thing deserves to be accepted. You latently believe this yourself if you take issue with racists and those who discriminate on religious grounds.
Just because some people are violent in a religion doesn't mean all of them are. The KKK were devout Christians, does that mean every Christian is racist? No, It promotes nothing of the sort, you can carry on, reading the Daily Mail and supporting Nigel Farage and polluting your mind with those ideas. The reason we can't all live peacefully is people like you.
That's because many muslims are only culturally muslim and do not follow or understand the koran beyond what they were told to do growing up.

Of course a minority of muslims are terrorists - however this number is much larger when you include all those who directly support them (e.g. recruiters and funders) and much larger still when you include those who agree with their views but take no terrorist action themselves.

Not to mention that the majority of arrested terrorists are religious. And, in turn, the majority of those are muslim.

Yeah , but I guess hate speech against islam wont abolish the religion will it?
You're mistaken. There are around 1.6 billion Muslims. If the 'majority' were terrorists, you'd have more than just than ISIS and Al Qaeda, you'd have a real problem on your hands. More muslims have been affected by terrorist groups than anyone else. You really should check what you're saying before you post it.
You have just perfectly exemplified the bigotry and refusal of freedom of speech that those criticising Islam have to struggle against. Nowhere in that quote of mine did I espouse hate speech. I critically examined the state of terrorism using Europol statistics and the Koran based on my (and others':wink: study of it.

This is the power religion has today, courteousy of backwards ultra-liberalist ideals - if you criticise Islam you do so with hate speech and are racist and narrow-minded and unaccepting. Never mind the inequality of women and homosexuals and science at the hand of religion, never mind that almost half of terrorists arrested are religiously motivated, never mind that the highest terror threat is religion-based, never mind the long and painful history of religious oppression on liberal ideals - no, today to be liberal means to not question, and to accept all and sundry with no analysis of particulars and consequences. If we all had this mindset with Christianity, homosexuals would still be in prison, women would still be having back alley abortions, science would still be in the Dark Ages, and freedom of thought and speech would be at best Orwellian.

Speaking out against religion is indeed the quickest road to reformation and then extinction. We have seen this with Christianity which in the UK has been diluted to nothingness - to be a British Christian today is to disregard nearly the entire Bible and accept in lieu the values of modern society. The same will occur with Islam - it has already began and will continue to do so.

sorry but I cant be asked to read all of that. Fair point though.
Reply 36
Until religion (particularly Islam) has been reformed then eradicated, "acceptance" and "peace" are terms of fiction.

It doesn't need to be reformed and there are religions and reasons of violence someone needs to open up there eyes...:tongue:
Don't worry, reading is tough. Ignorance is much easier.

Lol, okay sir. Well, I did end up reading it eventually, I just wanted to make the conversation a bit saucy by saying that.
Have a good one.
I didn't say that. Re-read my post.

You really should check what I say before you reply.

I'm pretty sure you said that. You see, the problem with people like you is that you refuse to believe you're wrong. I'm a muslim, does that mean I'm going to join ISIS? Does that mean I'm 'oppressed' because I'm a girl? Nope. It irks me so much when people start talking about bigotry and oppression and all that in the Quran, like they have actually read an Arabic Quran. Stick to Matthew and our Paul from down the street.
No one has said that.

I am tired of reading this exact line repeated over and over again, despite being completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Please quote the exact post which said that all Muslims are violent because of the fact that some of them are. Otherwise, admit to a poor apologist attempt of a strawman.

I didn't say you did, I just simply stated a simple fact. Not all Muslims are terrorists and our religion doesn't need reform, did Christianity need 'reform' when black people were getting lynched on the street? No, I don't think anyone talked about reform then. Isn't that funny?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending