The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Roast
By attempting the same things done to homosexuals to stop their urges? BS, it'll never work.

Because it's my opinion/theory.

It's a sexuality, an uncontrollable sexual preference - so much so that the paedophiles themselves can't understand why they do it or why they feel such a way.

Have you ever asked a gay person why they feel such a way towards a member of the opposite sex? Or a straight guy... all I can answer is that I like women exclusively and that's it.

Of course you can control sexual urges? Religious people do it all the time.

Homosexuality is not a mental disorder. The brain chemistry is not the same. Pedophilia goes beyond the sexual urges you and I would experience, it's far more intense and reoccuring. It can be treated, apparently. I'm just quoting official health institutions, they claim it can be, so I have no reason to believe why it can't be.

Can you expand on your opinion/theory? We don't usually make statements without any evidence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
So we'll just have to respectfully disagree on whether it's a sexual preference or a mental disorder.

Are you somewhat suggesting that if I see paedophilia as separate to all of the other sexualities, that because they're from the same part of the brain; I see the other types of sexuality as wrong? Or am I missing the point? :redface:

Trust me on this; you can stop thoughts from happening. My anti-depressants dampen any negative thoughts I have. My first anti-depressant also basically ceased any sex drive I had and although I'm not saying 'Hey! Let's put all paedophiles on ADs', I'm showing it's possible to lower people's sex drive quite dramatically or lower interest in their sexual preference.

You're missing the point completely.

Your "negative thoughts", suicidal thoughts, depression and anxieties have nothing to do with sexuality. Did those pills lower your sex drive? Then yeah, maybe let's stick them on those pills and/or castrate them. But then again, it's never been attempted so how can you tell it'll work on paedos?

I'm not saying paedophilia is on the same level as homosexuality - the former is completely illegal and frowned upon, the latter is accepted (in the progressive world) and encouraged to a degree.

But they're both sexualities.
Reply 202
Original post by Deyesy

Trust me on this; you can stop thoughts from happening. My anti-depressants dampen any negative thoughts I have. My first anti-depressant also basically ceased any sex drive I had and although I'm not saying 'Hey! Let's put all paedophiles on ADs', I'm showing it's possible to lower people's sex drive quite dramatically or lower interest in their sexual preference.

You want to castrate them now? Not entirely against corporal punishment then?
Original post by hovado
Errm you haven't given any evidence, just pointed at dsm-v

what statements would you like me to provide evidence for?

And directing people towards literature is more 'evidence' than you have provided.
Reply 204
Original post by hezzlington
what statements would you like me to provide evidence for?

And directing people towards literature is more 'evidence' than you have provided.

ah sorry wrong poster

Your "negative thoughts", suicidal thoughts, depression and anxieties have nothing to do with sexuality. Did those pills lower your sex drive? Then yeah, maybe let's stick them on those pills and/or castrate them. But then again, it's never been attempted so how can you tell it'll work on paedos?

I'm not saying paedophilia is on the same level as homosexuality - the former is completely illegal and frowned upon, the latter is accepted (in the progressive world) and encouraged to a degree.

What I was trying to suggest was that yes, my pills have absolutely nothing to do with my sexuality but something in the make up of them dramatically lowered my sex drive whereas the one I'm on now; I have a perfectly normal sex drive. It is possible for someone's sex drive to be reduced.
Original post by hovado
ah sorry wrong poster

Yep same :P

My second sentence was aimed at the roast
Although the death penalty would be cheaper for us. Since we wouldn't have to pay for someone else to be kept in a maintained prison etc. I think I would prefer a true "life in prison" sentence where they are kept there until the day they die with 1 hour of sunlight a day. This is a far worse fate than death in my honest opinion.
Original post by Deyesy
What I was trying to suggest was that yes, my pills have absolutely nothing to do with my sexuality but something in the make up of them dramatically lowered my sex drive whereas the one I'm on now; I have a perfectly normal sex drive. It is possible for someone's sex drive to be reduced.

Intentionally lowering sex drive in non-hypersexual individuals is a different matter altogether. They probably wouldn't want their urges to be lowered. At least, initially.
Original post by hovado
You want to castrate them now? Not entirely against corporal punishment then?

When did I ever say that? If we're using hypotheticals surely getting someone to take a pill that means their thoughts are dramatically reduced and they're able to be reintegrated into society is a better option than killing them?

Have you never heard of chemical castration? There are definitely pills you can take to reduce/eliminate your sex drive.

What's the point though? If they're in jail, why do you need to alter their sex drive? They can't harm anyone.

Unless you're referring to people who have committed no crimes, in which case they should be left to their own business. What next? Go and lock up people who we suspect might be a bit violent in later life?
@markova21 Only one thing at the moment...

Would you be prepared to end the lives yourself?
Original post by hezzlington
Intentionally lowering sex drive in non-hypersexual individuals is a different matter altogether. They probably wouldn't want their urges to be lowered. At least, initially.

All I was trying to show is that it's possible that's all :redface:
Original post by XcitingStuart

I was thinking of asking this, but when you ask this question in such an emotionally charged topic, you won't get realistic responses.

None of us here will be able to truely say whether we could kill another human being until we are literally presented with the opportunity, despite what they might of done to us or our families.
Original post by Elivercury
Have you never heard of chemical castration? There are definitely pills you can take to reduce/eliminate your sex drive.

What's the point though? If they're in jail, why do you need to alter their sex drive? They can't harm anyone.

Unless you're referring to people who have committed no crimes, in which case they should be left to their own business. What next? Go and lock up people who we suspect might be a bit violent in later life?

And have you considered the long term effects of a sex drive being decrease? probably not.
Original post by XcitingStuart

No. I could never harm another human being. Or animal for that matter. I've just thought about what I had written. I believe ,although don't know for certain, that if someone had sexually abused my son when he was a child [he's now 19 ] I would have stuck a knife in the bastard. Or at least given it serious thought.
(edited 7 years ago)
And have you considered the long term effects of a sex drive being decrease? probably not.

Why would I need to? I think it's a terrible idea in the short term. Incidentally I imagine the long term effects would be...chemical castration. It's kinda what they are for.

In terms of what their life would be like? I imagine they'd have loads of hobbies.
Reply 217
Original post by Deyesy
When did I ever say that? If we're using hypotheticals surely getting someone to take a pill that means their thoughts are dramatically reduced and they're able to be reintegrated into society is a better option than killing them?

Right there in the post i quoted. Chemical castration still sounds pretty cruel to me.
Original post by markova21
I've just been reading about a British man convicted of abusing very young children abroad. I'm talking about the rape of babies, among other sick offences.He faces life in prison. Is this proper punishment? Do paedophiles deserve to be put to death? I have just started an online petition calling for the Death Penalty to be reinstated by the UK Govt. No chance of it happening,sadly. Just wondered what people on here thought?

For certain heinous and depraved crimes. Yes
Original post by hovado
Right there in the post i quoted. Chemical castration still sounds pretty cruel to me.

And the death penalty isn't cruel?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending