The Student Room Group

Guy says he likes me but doesn't want to be with me

I've really liked him since the beginning (5 months ago) and he knows it, but he's always been very indecisive about me. He liked me, and we slept together, and then he said he didn't want a relationship for various reasons, but we carried on talking, and then he said he liked me, and we started seeing each other, then it stopped, now he's saying he still likes me but he doesn't know why, he cannot be with me.

He has said I have got everything looks and personality-wise, we talk (or we were talking every single day), and he said he wasn't sure about a relationship with me, we started seeing each other, and then he said he went through a bout of depression and just realised he couldn't see me as more than a friend, and that that was nothing at all do with me, he doesn't know why, but he doesn't think we can be together, and says eve nif you like someone, sometimes you just cannot be with them.

Then after there are other reasons; he wants to move abroad in September, he's maybe still not over his ex, he said we are quite different people, etc.
My friend said he's just confused and doesn't know what he wants. Does it sound like he really does like me, or this is just that he doesn't like me enough? He said he's indecisive, and we've just had a bad argument about the whole thing, which I feel bad for... thanks.
Reply 1
We were seeing each other for a very brief period of time, and I went to his place, and we had sex, and then it was after this that he said he couldn't do it. I wondered whether I had done something to put him off, but he got angry when I suggested that.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
We were seeing each other for a very brief period of time, and I went to his place, and we had sex, and then it was after this that he said he couldn't do it. I wondered whether I had done something to put him off, but he got angry when I suggested that.

snap me
Reply 3
I can't figure out his behaviour. he was insisting he does not want a relationship with anyone at all atm, he's not looking and has no intention of doing so..
he said about 2 months ago that he only saw me as a friend, then he said more recently that he liked me, now he's saying again he only sees me as a friend, so I told him it's not cool that he keeps changing his mind; he cannot keep playing with me like that...
He like you because you’re having sex with him. He doesn’t like you enough to want you to be his girlfriend because why would he? He’s got you wrapped around his little finger now and he didn’t have to commit to anything.

My advice to you is that you need to gain control. So if he doesn’t like you enough to want to be with you, say goodbye to him. Then if he starts talking about meeting up, or he kinda likes you still, or he is indecisive (excuse), you tell him straight up that you have made up YOUR mind about the situation. You’re not just someone who is going to jump whenever he feels like it.
Reply 5
Honestly, threads like this are useless. Nobody knows the situation better than you and him, people here can only assume. You need to talk to him about it.
Original post by jagger24
snap me

bruh you sound thirsty
Reply 7
Sorry to sound blunt, but to put it simply...

He got what he wanted, which was sex - and now you have no valid place for him anymore.
It sucks, I'm sorry - but usually us guys would only want what we can get if we can take advantage of it.
So now you know that you've been screwed over. Leave it like that, walk away with dignity and find another guy that
will like you for your personality rather than seeing how quickly he can drop your pants.
He's not that into you. Its quite nice he gets to sleep with you a bit before he moves abroad. What is there you dont understand about that? No matter how much you might wish it otherwise, you really need to look elsewhere and see it as it is.
Reply 9
I agree with the above. He's probably disinterested now because he's already got what he wanted from you (sex). Next time don't give yourself up so easily.
I've really liked him since the beginning (5 months ago) and he knows it, but he's always been very indecisive about me. He liked me, and we slept together, and then he said he didn't want a relationship for various reasons, but we carried on talking, and then he said he liked me, and we started seeing each other, then it stopped, now he's saying he still likes me but he doesn't know why, he cannot be with me.

He has said I have got everything looks and personality-wise, we talk (or we were talking every single day), and he said he wasn't sure about a relationship with me, we started seeing each other, and then he said he went through a bout of depression and just realised he couldn't see me as more than a friend, and that that was nothing at all do with me, he doesn't know why, but he doesn't think we can be together, and says eve nif you like someone, sometimes you just cannot be with them.

Then after there are other reasons; he wants to move abroad in September, he's maybe still not over his ex, he said we are quite different people, etc.
My friend said he's just confused and doesn't know what he wants. Does it sound like he really does like me, or this is just that he doesn't like me enough? He said he's indecisive, and we've just had a bad argument about the whole thing, which I feel bad for... thanks.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are what is called a "backup option". You'll do, but he wants to see if he can get something/someone better first.

He's being a tool, ditch him and start a relationship with someone willing to respect you. You might find that once you're no longer happy to be his backup he's suddenly interested in a relationship - only you can decide if he's actually worth it. If he just lets you go, then you know how serious he was about you.
He doesn't want to get in a relationship with you but likes your attention or wants to keep as a back up option. Just forget him.

If he "likes" you, then what's the issue? He's just being confusing, you'd be better off not wasting anymore time with him, and find someone better.
The most likely and the most saddening scenario here is that he used you after he broke up with his ex girlfriend. He needed physical and emotional satisfaction and attention, you were able to provide it for him. Now that he's slowly moving on, you maybe don't seem to be as attractive or as needed to him anymore.

I'm sorry for having to say all of this, but the fact is that this will not end happily for you if you continue to pursue it, and fooling yourself by hoping he'll change his mind or his opinion is going to hurt you quite a bit. Grasp the fact that he is not for you, that you need and want things he can't give you, he can't provide in your life. Try to understand that when things like this happen, and you've given it your all, nothing else can be done.

If you continue going down this line, you'll get hurt. He will keep giving you empty hope and you'll believe him, try to see some part of him that wants to be with you. But it's obvious you'll not get any real love or affection from him. Not only that, but he's also moving away to a different country. Listen to me. Value yourself and your emotions a bit more. He doesn't want to be with you.
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the honesty; it's what I need to hear in order to help me move on!
He knows I'd bend over backwards for him... it's funny because there was a time when I started acting a little less interested; I saw him in a club one night and I virtually blanked him, and then after this he started talking to me more. Another time, I went on a date with another guy, and told him about it, because I didn't think he'd really care anyway. When I told him ,he was furious.

As I said, he knows I'm crazy about him and that clearly puts him off... we've just had another argument where he said he's sick of talking about it, and so am I. I am just going to do my best to move on, and as other posters have said, thanks!
I sent him a message before saying sorry for the argument, speak soon etc. (i.e. not trying to continue the conversation etc) and he replied saying it doesn't matter but he really doesn't need that right now and doesn't see the point... and I told him ,me neither. and again it ended quite abruptly. I am not going to bother speaking to him again; I think these posts have really made me realise ,and not just listen to his silly excuses ,so, thanks a lot!
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the honesty; it's what I need to hear in order to help me move on!
He knows I'd bend over backwards for him... it's funny because there was a time when I started acting a little less interested; I saw him in a club one night and I virtually blanked him, and then after this he started talking to me more. Another time, I went on a date with another guy, and told him about it, because I didn't think he'd really care anyway. When I told him ,he was furious.

As I said, he knows I'm crazy about him and that clearly puts him off... we've just had another argument where he said he's sick of talking about it, and so am I. I am just going to do my best to move on, and as other posters have said, thanks!

Sounds like you did.
Original post by Awesome-o
Sounds like you did.

topkek

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending