The Student Room Group

Should the Death Penalty be reintroduced for convicted paedophiles?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UnoriginalBen
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

It doesnt. And a lot of people do not deserve sight, or oxygen or life for that matter
My late mother always used to say "If Myra Hindley was ever released from prison she wouldn't be alive for very long". People would have,rightly or wrongly, taken matters into their own hands. Especially mothers. The death penalty was abolished in ,I think the early sixties. I think it was a mistake. For God's sake,we hear all the time about child molesters being sentenced to a year in prison,if that. I truly believe for the worst types of serial abuser who shows no remorse and is little chance of them ever changing , they are a waste of oxygen.
The death penalty is immoral and supporters of it are bad people because you might get the wrong person and besides life in prison is far worse cos boredom and they will be targeted and abused by other inmates is not a very consistent (Or truthful) argument.

I know there is no easy or perfect answer here but just thought i would point it out
Original post by Betelgeuse-
The death penalty is immoral and supporters of it are bad people because you might get the wrong person and besides life in prison is far worse cos boredom and they will be targeted and abused by other inmates is not a very consistent (Or truthful) argument.

I know there is no easy or perfect answer here but just thought i would point it out

It's not about what's the worst possible punishment you can give somebody.
Original post by markova21
My late mother always used to say "If Myra Hindley was ever released from prison she wouldn't be alive for very long". People would have,rightly or wrongly, taken matters into their own hands. Especially mothers. The death penalty was abolished in ,I think the early sixties. I think it was a mistake. For God's sake,we hear all the time about child molesters being sentenced to a year in prison,if that. I truly believe for the worst types of serial abuser who shows no remorse and is little chance of them ever changing , they are a waste of oxygen.

And they'd all go to jail for it.
Original post by hezzlington
It's not about what's the worst possible punishment you can give somebody.

Its about what is proportionate and best for society imo.. What is it about for you?

I am just reading page 2 and you say something along the lines off

"Wanting another human to suffer mean there is something wrong with you"

That seems absurd to me, utterely absurd. I want bad people who destroy others to suffer themselves.. explain how that makes there something wrong with me?
I was thinking of asking this, but when you ask this question in such an emotionally charged topic, you won't get realistic responses.

None of us here will be able to truely say whether we could kill another human being until we are literally presented with the opportunity, despite what they might of done to us or our families.

No. I could never harm another human being. Or animal for that matter. I've just thought about what I had written. I believe ,although don't know for certain, that if someone had sexually abused my son when he was a child [he's now 19 ] I would have stuck a knife in the bastard. Or at least given it serious thought.

I don't believe anyone should advocate the death penalty unless they're willing to carry out the act itself.

Markova you'd be dumping the deed onto someone else. I'm not saying that you have to be the one to carry it out, but I'd respect your decision to advocate the death penalty a lot more if you felt you had the conviction to do that if the opportunity presented itself (though don't go seek it out on my behalf. :tongue:) It seems a little hypocritical to me, and I hate hypocrisy.

I quoted you hezzlington to give the context to my previous post. :tongue:

Seriously though, do you have a single point in favour of the death penalty other than "but I don't like paedos, they should be murdered"?

It has already been clearly explained by several people that:

A) It makes no difference if they get life or a execution, they won't be able to harm anyone either way

B) Execution costs more than life imprisonment

C) It is not an effective deterrent.

Also, the death penalty is never going to be swapped with a 5 year sentence. The death penalty is above and beyond a life sentence, so unless they are sentenced to life (which would only happen if they murdered a child after abusing them to my knowledge), the death penalty would never be received.

I think you'd be better off putting forward discussion on increasing the length of child abuse jail sentences to be honest.
@markova21 There's also the issue of whether I'd have enough trust in the Government to carry it out correctly 100% of the time?

And whether it opens a slippery slope for where the death penalty is allowed to be used.

Edit #1: And it should be "convicted child molesters" or you'd be missing out a whole slew of people who have sexual relations with children.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
@markova21 There's also the issue of whether I'd have enough trust in the Government to carry it out correctly 100% of the time?

And whether it opens a slippery slope for where the death penalty is allowed to be used.

Edit #1: And it should be "convicted child molesters" or you'd be missing out a whole slew of people who have sexual relations with children.

Yes, I realised it should have said "Convicted Child Molesters" or abusers as opposed to "Convicted Paedophiles". I tried to amend my petition's title but I didn't know how to.
Its about what is proportionate and best for society imo.. What is it about for you?

I am just reading page 2 and you say something along the lines off

"Wanting another human to suffer mean there is something wrong with you"

That seems absurd to me, utterely absurd. I want bad people who destroy others to suffer themselves.. explain how that makes there something wrong with me?

There is another thread that discusses whether jail guards should be allowed to assault the prisoners. You should join in with that discussion. There are many bad people in this world that ruin others emotionally, physically, mentally. What kind of example do you set when you just want to retaliate with more violence that goes beyond self defence, or induce suffering onto somebody else? What does that achieve?

If you or your family have ever been harmed significantly (I hope this hasn't happened) feelings of rage and wanting to harm the person are quite natural and probably will occur. But it's not right.

It's sadistic.
It doesnt. And a lot of people do not deserve sight, or oxygen or life for that matter

It does, revenge is not justice, it doesn't help anyone but instead leaves us in a continued circle of wrong. Explain to me how two wrongs make a right? They don't. Instead it makes you just as bad as the criminal. And everyone has the right to live, if you do not believe that then I think you have some serious moral issues.
Original post by UnoriginalBen
Explain to me how two wrongs make a right? They don't.

But three lefts do.
Original post by Elivercury
But three lefts do.

lol no matter how many turns you make, you'll still be where you began. People need to forgive and move on.
Reply 234
It's a mental disorder, so I'm not sure if death is the appropriate action to take. Life in prison is pretty justified. What will death achieve as opposed to life in prison?

I have asthma, but I don't cough in people's faces do I? Same applies for paedophilia.
Original post by dmy15
I have asthma, but I don't cough in people's faces do I? Same applies for paedophilia.

Err what
Reply 236
Err what

What I'm basically saying is that even though paedophilia is a mental disorder, it doesn't mean that the paedophile can use this excuse to go ahead and physically carry out the acts on another individual.
Original post by dmy15
What I'm basically saying is that even though paedophilia is a mental disorder, it doesn't mean that the paedophile can use this excuse to go ahead and physically carry out the acts on another individual.

Well, part of the disorder is that they usually want to go out and carry out the acts. You having asthma doesn't make you want to go out and cough on people.

There are lots of pedophiles that also are aware of how vile the acts their disorder causes. There is a anon society of pedophiles who have not committed and condemn acts of abuse.

A lot of them are married and generally stable and are terrorized by their disorder. It opened up my eyes and made me stop treating other humans as rabid animals. A fresh perspective as you will.

I too used to believe acts of child molestation/rape should result in a very harsh and painful punishment, I like to think I've outgrown these views and tried to be a bit more human.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dmy15

I don't think anyone has said they have an excuse. They've said that providing them help might prevent it in the first place. Such as y'know, treating your asthma so you're not coughing so much.
I never understand why people want murderers/sex offenders to face the death penalty. The prospect of rotting in prison for the rest of my life with the stigma of being a sex offender in prison is far more terrifying than me than dying via euthanasia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending