The Student Room Group

OCR S2 hypothesis question

In the following question and similar, what do I put as the null and alternate hypothesis?

I didn't really see which of the options were "default" or "generally accepted". As it's asking "whether the specification is being met", I decided to let H1 be that the specification has now been met. I don't think this is correct though (both are inequalities), and I have no idea where to go from there.

If we want to show that the specification is being met, with just a 0.05 chance of a type 1 error, then I'd imagine the sample mean we find has to be a number fairly below 30.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SirBenet
In the following question and similar, what do I put as the null and alternate hypothesis?

I didn't really see which of the options were "default" or "generally accepted". As it's asking "whether the specification is being met", I decided to let H1 be that the specification has now been met. I don't think this is correct though (both are inequalities), and I have no idea where to go from there.

If we want to show that the specification is being met, with just a 0.05 chance of a type 1 error, then I'd imagine the sample mean we find has to be a number fairly below 30.

I see what you're saying, and how you've interpreted the question.

As a gut reaction I would put H0: Mu = 30 as it's the boundary that's mentioned, and H1 as Mu>30 (because if Mu>30, then it is not meeting the specification). Because, if H0 is an inequaility, then you're kind of screwed in terms of finding a critical region.

Quick Reply

Latest