The Student Room Group

CCEA GCSE exams 2016 *official only CCEA thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Lmao same as I was very proud of myself when I squared 27, for the last question on calculator I realised how to do it with 2 mins left and no space in my test from all the scribbles, wrote it down with very little explanation towards what I was at, hopefully they will be nice enough to give me atleast 3 lmao??
Original post by rl15
Was pretty sure the last question was mathematically impossible considering you had to use Pythagoras to work out l to work out the surface are and it just didn't work! But other than that T6 was fine☺️

What was the last question again? I've totally forgot it😂
Original post by chemnerd4life

A solid cone of base radius 4x and height 3x has the same surface area of a sphere of radius y. Prove that 3x=y.
I'm pretty sure that was it - if it wasn't I (failed to) answered a completely different question!
Original post by Philipstothers
Square the length ratio to get the area ratio then work from there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was the answer like 9638.19 or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 424
Original post by johnatschool
A solid cone of base radius 4x and height 3x has the same surface area of a sphere of radius y. Prove that 3x=y.
I'm pretty sure that was it - if it wasn't I (failed to) answered a completely different question!

Do u know the correct solution for the last question? I want to see if I got it right
Original post by 190
Do u know the correct solution for the last question? I want to see if I got it right

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464883245.586212.jpg

This is the steps I did to get y = 3x.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426

It was the one about the cones surface area and the sphere!
This is what I did, but not 100% sure if I'm right!
Surface area of cone = Surface area of sphere.
Pi x r x l = 4 x pi x r^2
Pi x 4x x 3x = 4 x pi x (y)^2
12x^2 x pi = 4y^2 x pi. (Cancel out the pi)
12x^2 = 4y^2
3x^2 = y^2. (Square root both sides)
3x = y

If I'm wrong you can correct me :smile:

I think you can't take l as 3x. It would have been the hypotenuse on the cone: sq root of (3x)^2 + (4x)^2 = 25x^ l=5x ... I think! Not hundred percent on that but thats what I did. If it was what you did that would have been a lot simpler and maybe that bit more obvious! :smile:
Urghhh I'm realising now I've made a bunch of silly mistakes. Did you have to work out the perimeter of the smallest octagon? I only worked out the length of one of the sides:colondollar: The last question I had the correct formula but forget to square the number terms (I only squared the Xs) when I was doing Pythagoras' but I'll hopefully still get some marks for correct working. I got 290/1320 for the probability but it didn't ask for a simplified form so hopefully that's ok. Am I the only one who took forever to work out how to do the question asking you to work out the area of the quadrilateral haha, once I got it I couldn't believe it took me so long:biggrin:
Original post by PatrickOC
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464883245.586212.jpg

This is the steps I did to get y = 3x.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! This is it! I can't believe that I forgot to make it 20x^2! I left it at 20x as if I was adding it! :facepalm:Stupid mistake #2!
Well done!!
What I eventually did for the last question is said that y=3x and 3x=height so 7x-4x = 3x (Pythagoras) which somehow seemed to prove it in the exam. However I'm not too worried as I think I got 80+ raw marks in t4 and hopefully 85+ in the two t6 so should be grand :smile:
What I eventually did for the last question is said that y=3x and 3x=height so 7x-4x = 3x (Pythagoras) which somehow seemed to prove it in the exam. However I'm not too worried as I think I got 80+ raw marks in t4 and hopefully 85+ in the two t6 so should be grand :smile:

What was T6 out of?
What was T6 out of?

Each out of 50 so 100 raw marks overall
Reply 433
Original post by T0ucan
Urghhh I'm realising now I've made a bunch of silly mistakes. Did you have to work out the perimeter of the smallest octagon? I only worked out the length of one of the sides:colondollar: The last question I had the correct formula but forget to square the number terms (I only squared the Xs) when I was doing Pythagoras' but I'll hopefully still get some marks for correct working. I got 290/1320 for the probability but it didn't ask for a simplified form so hopefully that's ok. Am I the only one who took forever to work out how to do the question asking you to work out the area of the quadrilateral haha, once I got it I couldn't believe it took me so long:biggrin:

Same! I was so confused by the quadrilateral question until I had like 5 mins left during the exam and I happened to glance at it again and realised what I had to do
Reply 434
Each out of 50 so 100 raw marks overall

If I got About 84 raw in t4 and 82 raw in t6, should I still be able to get an A*? I would say there would be atleast some markup?
What mark out of 200 raw marks is usually an A*?
Did yous get 8x10^-6 for standard form I think I messed it up lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I don't know what the question was but I got that answer.

It was like 9 x 10-? and 7.2 x 10-?

So I turned the 7.2 into 72 and divided by nine and then took away the powers and it left with 8 x 10-6.

Also, i'm pretty sure because the line was on graph no construction lines were necessary?

For the area I did.

LSF = ASF^2
5:24 = 25:576

25:576
424:x

424/25 = 16.96

576 x 16.96 = 9768.96

Then I think I forgot to take away the original 424. Sadly.
What mark out of 200 raw marks is usually an A*?

It's very hard to say because it's not actually the raw marks that count they use a formula to change them into actual marks but the grade boundary for a* is usually 75-80% so 150/160 should be fine but again they do something to the marks so I'd not spend too long thinking about it
Original post by jackcoys
Yeah. I don't know what the question was but I got that answer.

It was like 9 x 10-? and 7.2 x 10-?

So I turned the 7.2 into 72 and divided by nine and then took away the powers and it left with 8 x 10-6.

Also, i'm pretty sure because the line was on graph no construction lines were necessary?

For the area I did.

LSF = ASF^2
5:24 = 25:576

25:576
424:x

424/25 = 16.96

576 x 16.96 = 9768.96

Then I think I forgot to take away the original 424. Sadly.

I hope no constructions lines were needed, it looked pretty obvious so I just drew the line?!
7.2x10-8 divided by 9x10-3 =0.8x10-5 but the answer in standard form is 8x10-6 I hope lol :smile:

Quick Reply