The Student Room Group

Cry to help for all that are mathematically able! re: degree weighting system

I'm no good at maths so I need some hlep please

At the uni of Leeds if you do better in one year or the other (out of your 2nd or 3rd year) the weighting is 1:2 in favour of which ever you got the highest grade in. So, if you get a 2.1 in 3rd year and a 2.2 in 2nd year, the 3rd year will be given more weight to bump up your overall mark. (I got 56 in 2nd year and 61 in 3rd year)

In percentages, does that mean I take 33% of my 2nd year mark and 166% of my 3rd year mark, add it together (200%) then divide it by 2 to get to 100%? If so I get a 2.1 classification overall.

Is that the correct way of working it out or have I got it all wrong?
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
I'm no good at maths so I need some hlep please

At the uni of Leeds if you do better in one year or the other (out of your 2nd or 3rd year) the weighting is 1:2 in favour of which ever you got the highest grade in. So, if you get a 2.1 in 3rd year and a 2.2 in 2nd year, the 3rd year will be given more weight to bump up your overall mark. (I got 56 in 2nd year and 61 in 3rd year)

In percentages, does that mean I take 33% of my 2nd year mark and 166% of my 3rd year mark, add it together (200%) then divide it by 2 to get to 100%? If so I get a 2.1 classification overall.

Is that the correct way of working it out or have I got it all wrong?

no - it means you take 1/3 of your yr 2 score and 2/3 of your yr 3 score and add them together to get your total

(1/3*56)+(2/3*61)
(18.7)+(40.7)=59.3333

Find out what Leeds do about results that are close to a classification boundary. Many universities will "bump up" a score of 59% or higher (either automatically or in certain circumstances).
It will depend on how much weighting they give to each year. Giving more weighting doesn't allow anyone to calculate the classification unless you state what the weightings are. There is a huge difference between 51/49, 70/30, 75/25, 80/20 etc etc.
Original post by PQ
no - it means you take 1/3 of your yr 2 score and 2/3 of your yr 3 score and add them together to get your total

(1/3*56)+(2/3*61)
(18.7)+(40.7)=59.3333

Find out what Leeds do about results that are close to a classification boundary. Many universities will "bump up" a score of 59% or higher (either automatically or in certain circumstances).

Oh right so I am screwed.
Oh right so I am screwed.

http://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10111/examinations_and_assessment/856/classification_calculator
and
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/secretariat/documents/rules_for_award.pdf
"9.4 Academic Discretion9.4 Any student with a Classification Average falling within the discretionary band should beselected for consideration. The discretionary band is 0.05 below a classification threshold forBachelors Degrees with Classified Honours"

That's 0.05 discretion on your GPA score out of 9.0

Your calculation is based on your GPA scores not your percentages and your percentages have to be adjusted to a 20-90 scale for calculation.....use the spreadsheet they provide to see what your final grade is likely to be. There's a good chance with all these extra fiddly bits that you're either way up or way down.

Just plugging in 56 and 61 with 120 credits gives you a 2i score (5.93) using their calculator.
(edited 7 years ago)

Just to point out the error here, that'd be 5:1 weighting ~ if you did 67% and 133% this method would work.
Original post by PQ
http://students.leeds.ac.uk/info/10111/examinations_and_assessment/856/classification_calculator
and
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/secretariat/documents/rules_for_award.pdf
"9.4 Academic Discretion9.4 Any student with a Classification Average falling within the discretionary band should beselected for consideration. The discretionary band is 0.05 below a classification threshold forBachelors Degrees with Classified Honours"

That's 0.05 discretion on your GPA score out of 9.0

Your calculation is based on your GPA scores not your percentages and your percentages have to be adjusted to a 20-90 scale for calculation.....use the spreadsheet they provide to see what your final grade is likely to be. There's a good chance with all these extra fiddly bits that you're either way up or way down.

Just plugging in 56 and 61 with 120 credits gives you a 2i score (5.93) using their calculator.

Right so, let's say I got 60/90 overall in my final year, then I would be in the discretionary band, is it still not guaranteed that they will bump me up to a 2.1?

Thanks for the links.
Right so, let's say I got 60/90 overall in my final year, then I would be in the discretionary band, is it still not guaranteed that they will bump me up to a 2.1?

Thanks for the links.

Put your module results in the spreadsheet.

Leeds don't use straightforward percentages and don't have a classification boundary of 60%. Assuming they do will not answer your questions.

Quick Reply

Latest