The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
ok ignore me then

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was only on tsr and replied then went straight off sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mechanics 5 notation is so messed up in the textbooks. Isn't the proper notation for torque/moment of a force/couple as τ\tau and angular momentum is LL ? They use L for moment of a force and no notation for angular momentum lol. They need to get their notation straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No your right. Just use it and it will be fine.
For Ch 5 just do all the questions tbh practice is the only thing that will make it better.!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Eugghhhhh I have done every single question from every single paper from 2003 onwards in STEP 1 and I am still incredibly unconfident. And what's worse is that I only need a 2. Given that the exam is in 12 days, should I just focus on going through past papers and doing questions that I am strong in? Should I do papers from before 2003? How do I build confidence? What do?
Original post by jacobe
Eugghhhhh I have done every single question from every single paper from 2003 onwards in STEP 1 and I am still incredibly unconfident. And what's worse is that I only need a 2. Given that the exam is in 12 days, should I just focus on going through past papers and doing questions that I am strong in? Should I do papers from before 2003? How do I build confidence? What do?

Do recent step II ppers as they are harder. It won't build confidence it will just give you more preperation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by physicsmaths
Do recent step II ppers as they are harder. It won't build confidence it will just give you more preperation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean STEP 1 or do you mean I should do recent STEP 2 papers to prepare me for STEP 1?
Original post by jacobe
Do you mean STEP 1 or do you mean I should do recent STEP 2 papers to prepare me for STEP 1?

The latter

Posted from TSR Mobile
No your right. Just use it and it will be fine.
For Ch 5 just do all the questions tbh practice is the only thing that will make it better.!

Posted from TSR Mobile

All right thanks m8. Are you saying that I should do the Chapter 5 review questions? I haven't done most of them so gonna start working through them from today. I just tried doing a past paper, and although Chapter 1-4 questions were easy, I just couldn't do the Chapter 5 questions and they make up like half the paper.

I need to make sure I am confident with Chapter 5 since that material comes up so often in the mech section of STEP III.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All right thanks m8. Are you saying that I should do the Chapter 5 review questions? I haven't done most of them so gonna start working through them from today. I just tried doing a past paper, and although Chapter 1-4 questions were easy, I just couldn't do the Chapter 5 questions and they make up like half the paper.

I need to make sure I am confident with Chapter 5 since that material comes up so often in the mech section of STEP III.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep review are the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Number Nine
just did a mock

me

Me also.
Guys and gals, use spoilers for post 2013, because people are still saving them for mocks.
Like this:

2014 II:

Spoiler

Original post by EricPiphany
Guys and gals, use spoilers for post 2013, because people are still saving them for mocks.
Like this:

2014 II:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Woah new thread :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
Woah new thread :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

new thread who dis
:bunny:

STEP II 2014, mock:

Spoiler

Original post by IrrationalRoot

Spoiler

Tomorrow, God willing.

Spoiler

Tomorrow, God willing.

Spoiler

Yay :wink:

Spoiler

:bunny:

STEP II 2014, mock:

Spoiler

Can you wait until tommorow morning (I'll do it as a mock) so that I send mine to you as well?
I want to see other candidates' mathematical style and I'll try to check them
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep
Can you wait until tommorow morning (I'll do it as a mock) so that I send mine to you as well?
I want to see how other candidates' mathematical style and I'll try to check them

Me too
Yep review are the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is more productive - working through III 90s papers or practicing complex numbers/vectors/mech questions? I kind of practice mech questions while doing 90s papers since their pure section often contains set theory/matrices/group theory which wouldn't be useful for my STEP prep so for six questions I normally dive into applied. However, working through the 90s papers helps out my exam technique since I do the papers as timed mocks whereas working through the new spec questions I haven't answered would not act as a mock, so progress would be more difficult to monitor.

Since I have decided to leave 2015 for a week before the real exams (next weekend is I/II and in two weeks is III) I am four days ahead of schedule so I have four days during which I can do four timed mocks. After that I will be doing 90s timed mocks on Mon/Wed/Sat and complex numbers/vectors/mech practice questions in between. This means that I can choose to either spend my four days doing one 90s paper every day or 3/4 hours of practice with complex numbers, vectors and mechanics. What do you think is the best route I should take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gasfxekl
Me too

Are you a Cambridge offer-holder?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending