The Student Room Group

13 lessons - still stalling

Scroll to see replies

I used the official dvsa website https://www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk/ I paid money depends when you booked your test for then pay for that duration you have until then, I made one mistake only in the theory test 49/50. I think you can only trust the dvsa website because they set the test.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ZainF123
I've had about 10 driving lessons now and every lesson I stall about 4/5 times. My instructor is really patient but I get really annoyed. I have bad clutch control and I am just all round clumsy. Also after 10 lessons I have not done any maneuvers etc but my friend who has had 11 lessons is doing mock tests...
:angry:
Does anyone have any tips for good clutch control/driving

My friend was having problems with manual after 7 lessons she switched to automatic, perhaps you should try switching car to automatic. She finds she can drive smoothly now. 
Reply 42
Original post by Dimple1234
My friend was having problems with manual after 7 lessons she switched to automatic, perhaps you should try switching car to automatic. She finds she can drive smoothly now. 

hmm yeah ill talk to my instructor about it.
Also do you think with 13 lessons in and having not done any maneuvers is taking it too slow????
hmm yeah ill talk to my instructor about it.
Also do you think with 13 lessons in and having not done any maneuvers is taking it too slow????

Not really taking it too slow, I think your instructor wants to make sure you know the basics first, trying to make you feel more confident then he will introduce more difficulty.

I started learning to drive earlier, I started learning maneuvers much much later when I went to formal training with an instructor, so only when I was confident and knew everything else...all advise also says you must supplement your learning with the ADI with some driving with a family member for me it was people that did driving as a career but weren't ADI's but you can ask your parents they will help you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawtyb
if it helps, my old english teacher failed her actual test 23 timesl

She really shouldn't be on the road, if she's that inept - nor should she have been allowed to retake that many times.
Reply 45
Find an empty road with a slight incline, no pedestrians. Practice holding the car just on the bite point, keeping it there, then moving and then stopping. Repeat.

Now try it but stopping using the handbrake each time and putting the car into neutral, then back into gear and getting the bite point.

It's difficult to sustain a relaxed bite on an incline, but your muscles will get used to it over time. Sometimes if I'm going uphill and giving way, waiting to join a road I'll find one foot will move a little, giving me too much or too little gas, or pressing or lifting the clutch too much. But it all just gets easier with experience and confidence.
Original post by fr0sr_
She really shouldn't be on the road, if she's that inept - nor should she have been allowed to retake that many times.

well she did finally pass.
I've had about 10 driving lessons now and every lesson I stall about 4/5 times. My instructor is really patient but I get really annoyed. I have bad clutch control and I am just all round clumsy. Also after 10 lessons I have not done any maneuvers etc but my friend who has had 11 lessons is doing mock tests...
:angry:
Does anyone have any tips for good clutch control/driving

Alright so, the clutch came natural to me so I cant comment too much on this but;

Do independent driving, go to a car park or something with a friend/family in a manual transmission and just practice till you can do it like second nature.
I promise you after 1 hour of doing this you probably wont even stall again. You will become a natural at it, also get use to finding the biting point without your handbrake/on different roads (hills/downhill etc).

If being nervous about other drivers is the reason you keep stalling, the best thing I can say to that is: Who cares.
You're a learner driver, you have L plates all around your car. People know you're learning and are typically more forgiving and you're insured etc so you being on the road is perfectly legal. You shouldnt be afraid of the road at all. You shouldnt be worrying about "what if I do this, or do that" "What if I stall and hold up everyone behind me".
Just drive. Driving is a confidence thing, the more confident you become the better driver you are (typically).

Once I became confident behind the wheel it was easy. So easy in fact, I passed in 3 lessons. So my best advice would be to do some independent driving and let a friend take you to places you're unfamiliar with and build your confidence up. Once you get past the fear of being behind the wheel, you will sail through driving.
Original post by shawtyb
well she did finally pass.

The point being is that taking that many times to pass clearly shows a lack of basic coordination, awareness and driving ability. I would understand if it took her 5 times max., as this would show that she's improved and worked upon the errors highlighted over those tests to then pass, but 23? Thats taking the piss and downright embarrassing.
Original post by fr0sr_
The point being is that taking that many times to pass clearly shows a lack of basic coordination, awareness and driving ability. I would understand if it took her 5 times max., as this would show that she's improved and worked upon the errors highlighted over those tests to then pass, but 23? Thats taking the piss and downright embarrassing.

well this was over 8 years ago so i cant speak for her now.
Original post by shawtyb
well this was over 8 years ago so i cant speak for her now.

I'd say she's probably either dead or she's written off a vast amount of cars. :biggrin:
haha I think that sounds like a good idea because I do over complicate things
might do this now hahhaha

what else you struggling with while driving?
Reply 52
today I had a lesson and followed all your tips and my instructor said it was my best lesson yet and we started going on some busier roads to improve my ability and confidence and he said I handled it really well!!!! WOOOOOP (i only stalled once)
He said if I continue to keep this good clutch control up ill be able to start maneuvers in 2/3 weeks

:banana:

Reply 53
Original post by Arvin Bhambra
what else you struggling with while driving?

my steering. Like when I am in gear 3 and approaching a turn my instructor says change down to gear 2. But when I do this I have to be braking and also getting ready to turn and also indicating. It just makes me do too many things at once and a I panic and mess it all up.
eg today I had to do it and just kept the clutch down - didn't change gear and just braked as I went round the corner and then went straight to the gas and sped up. Now I know this ins right but it worked:s-smilie:
my steering. Like when I am in gear 3 and approaching a turn my instructor says change down to gear 2. But when I do this I have to be braking and also getting ready to turn and also indicating. It just makes me do too many things at once and a I panic and mess it all up.
eg today I had to do it and just kept the clutch down - didn't change gear and just braked as I went round the corner and then went straight to the gas and sped up. Now I know this ins right but it worked:s-smilie:

the thing is your leaving every thing to the last moment. when your approaching the turning indicate after you past the junction before. then check your mirrors after do a quick gear shift. this way then all you got left is to turn into the turning
Reply 55
the thing is your leaving every thing to the last moment. when your approaching the turning indicate after you past the junction before. then check your mirrors after do a quick gear shift. this way then all you got left is to turn into the turning

hmm yeah I think it just needs some work.
but overall your help has really made me improve:adore:
hmm yeah I think it just needs some work.
but overall your help has really made me improve:adore:

glad i could help. What else you struggling with?
Reply 57
glad i could help. What else you struggling with?

that's about it for now. When I start doing maneuvers ill get back to you.:colondollar: :biggrin::biggrin:
that's about it for now. When I start doing maneuvers ill get back to you.:colondollar: :biggrin::biggrin:

try my best to help. Feel free to pm me whenever you need help
Reply 59
I'm in a very similar boat. I had about 7 hours with my previous instructor but he wasn't very good, if I couldn't get out of a junction he would just use dual control and get me to use the gas. He was always late and stood me up so I've got a new instructor. Only had two hours and I've learned so much more! She told me I'm brilliant with clutch control, until it comes to a point where there's more traffic (like at junctions) and I just panic and stall. I cannot for the life of me pull away on a hill! EVERYTIME I stall -_- it's just a matter of taking my foot off the clutch too fast, but when I try not to I end up not putting on enough gas and thus stalling! I'm also struggling with my road position - either too close to cars or too far over! Has anybody got any tips for these issues? Also, the next available practical test is around mid August. Is it worth booking now and rearranging if needs be? I'm hoping to go back to college in September driving!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending