The Student Room Group

What jobs can I get with a (BA) Politics, Philosophy and History degree?

I have no idea what I want to do, and I don't really know how limited this degree is.

Is working in business or tech startups completely off the table for me?

Scroll to see replies

You need to look at job adverts fro graduates and see whether they are degree specific or not. If its not , then you should apply for the ones you are interested in.

If you have no idea what you wnat to do, then open an account here
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/ and start using the tools to indicate what you cna do with a degree.

You cna go into business if you can convince them you have the skills, knowledge or experience that they want.
Reply 2
Original post by tealites
I have no idea what I want to do, and I don't really know how limited this degree is.

Is working in business or tech startups completely off the table for me?

Executive, administrator, politician, journalist
Coffee shop
Shop Assistant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
Shop Assistant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

mfw wannabe comedians in TSR forums try to be funny.
mfw wannabe comedians in TSR forums try to be funny.

Where is your face?
Working as a primary school teacher is your best option. I'm serious.
You can't go really anywhere with a politics degree. However, if you go on to do a masters degree in a subject like economics, LOTS of doors will open to you.
It's okay, go on and do your undergrad in politics, but make to do your masters in economics or something similar to earn enough money to eat
Reply 8
Original post by KingYusHalo
You can't go really anywhere with a politics degree. However, if you go on to do a masters degree in a subject like economics, LOTS of doors will open to you.
It's okay, go on and do your undergrad in politics, but make to do your masters in economics or something similar to earn enough money to eat

A primary school teacher?
i'm sure there are lots of options since it is such a broad subject. Going into law is a possibility, as well as teaching. What about working in journalism? or brand development/advertising? PPE/PPH does a lot with writing, critical thinking, analysis and has an abundance of reading. What about working for a publishing company?

Lol, why are you selling a subject so short just because it isn't engineering though?
A primary school teacher?
i'm sure there are lots of options since it is such a broad subject. Going into law is a possibility, as well as teaching. What about working in journalism? or brand development/advertising? PPE/PPH does a lot with writing, critical thinking, analysis and has an abundance of reading. What about working for a publishing company?

Lol, why are you selling a subject so short just because it isn't engineering though?

Science is the best. Anything related to the natural sciences are cool.
If anyone is doing a subject other than the natural sciences, I consider them to be low grade humans. It's just my mentality and you can't do anything about it.
Reply 10
Science is the best. Anything related to the natural sciences are cool.
If anyone is doing a subject other than the natural sciences, I consider them to be low grade humans. It's just my mentality and you can't do anything about it.

How boring with this world be if everyone on this planet was a scientist? hmm.
80% of grad jobs, in other words literally anything apart from architecture, engineering, anything highly quantitative etc..

Some examples:
- Law (GDL + LPC + training contract or GDL + BPTC + Pupilage)
- Doctor (grad entry med),
- Finance within a corporation
- Marketing/Brand Management
- Sales
- Policy Advisor
- Teacher
- High Finance (I-banking, securities sales, equity research, asset management, private banking etc..)
- Journalism
- Accounting
- Actuarial stuff
- Web/UI Design (if you have skills)
- Software Engineering (if you have the skills)
- Copywriter
- Publishing
- HR
- PR
- Civil Servant (Civil Service Fast Stream, MI5, MI6, DWP etc..)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

This is false.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How boring with this world be if everyone on this planet was a scientist? hmm.

We'd be currently living in different planets traveling in cool hoverboards at the speed of light.
We'd be currently living in different planets traveling in cool hoverboards at the speed of light.

We've been waiting on hoverboards for decades.. I think you're just a tad delusional

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
We've been waiting on hoverboards for decades.. I think you're just a tad delusional

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because everyone is taking sh*t degrees like 'politics' and 'food studies'

The more scientists we have, the better.
That's because everyone is taking sh*t degrees like 'politics' and 'food studies'

The more scientists we have, the better.

Aye, because everyone being a scientist would keep the world running. Ok.
Original post by Princepieman
Aye, because everyone being a scientist would keep the world running. Ok.

Listen fam, I'm trying to help this guy out to select the right career. If he doesn't, he'll end up living on minimum wage and sleeping in garbage.
Just choose something quantitative, you wouldn't need to worry. You'll be able to afford more than just 1 big mac a day
Listen fam, I'm trying to help this guy out to select the right career. If he doesn't, he'll end up living on minimum wage and sleeping in garbage.
Just choose something quantitative, you wouldn't need to worry. You'll be able to afford more than just 1 big mac a day

No, the suggestions you've given have been 1) completely incorrect, one does not need a quantitative degree to get a high paid job and 2) irrelevant, OP doesn't want to study a natural science (which, if they were to pursue, wouldn't even lead to a decent wage. Researchers don't make much). How are you helping again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Librarian
Tesco cashier
sainburys cashier
asda cashier
99p shop cashier
cashier at Abdul's convenience shop
security guard at a university accommodation

etc

too many to name

Quick Reply