The Student Room Group

Complex number transformations involving arguments

https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202004%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

Q12) How can z be transformed onto a full circle? The circle equation I get but doesn't it have to satisfy 0 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 0?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

Can you be more specific? I don't fully understand your question. :smile: Where does 0 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 0 come from?
Original post by Zacken
Can you be more specific? I don't fully understand your question. :smile: Where does 0 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 0 come from?

So instead of treating arg(z) = pi/4 as x + xi the MS suggested, I did it the argument way and got arg (1 - wi) - arg (w -1) = pi/4, which is a circle that satisfies mod w = 1, however only within the ranges I posted above. Surely the MS method is wrong as it treats arg (z) = pi/4 as x + xi, which is only true for values in the positive quadrant.. hope that makes more sense..? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by TheFarmerLad
So instead of treating arg(z) = pi/4 as x + xi the MS suggested, I did it the argument way and got arg (1 - wi) - arg (w -1) = pi/4, which is a circle that satisfies mod w = 1, however only within the ranges I posted above. Surely the MS method is wrong as it treats arg (z) = pi/4 as x + xi, which is only true for values in the positive quadrant.. hope that makes more sense..? :biggrin:

But arg(z) = pi/4 is only values in the positive x and y quadrant. That's why it's called a half-line.

Anyways, with your method, why does arg(1-wi) - arg(w-1) bring up the ranges that you specified?
Original post by Zacken
But arg(z) = pi/4 is only values in the positive x and y quadrant. That's why it's called a half-line.

Anyways, with your method, why does arg(1-wi) - arg(w-1) bring up the ranges that you specified?

photo.jpg

Does that help?
photo.jpg

Does that help?

Question doesn't say the image of the given half line is the circle, only that the image of the half line lies on the circle - this doesn't imply the entire circle.
Original post by ghostwalker
Question doesn't say the image of the given half line is the circle, only that the image of the half line lies on the circle - this doesn't imply the entire circle.

I realise that, but am I right in saying that the complex numbers on arg(z) = pi/4 can only be mapped onto those in the shaded region I previously specified?
I realise that, but am I right in saying that the complex numbers on arg(z) = pi/4 can only be mapped onto those in the shaded region I previously specified?

Yes, it's just the lower right quadrant, but it's the part of the circle only, not any area.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Yes, it's just the lower right quadrant, but it's the part of the circle only, not any area.

Thank you for your help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest