Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Adorable98

So I labelled the diagram:

α = 36.8698...

-30cos(36.8698...)-2(9.8)sin(36.8698...)=2a
-35.7600..=2a
a= -17.88 which is wrong??:frown:

The 30N force is pointing to the right. So how can it have a component pointing down the slope?

A tip I find useful : Draw the 30N force as an arrow pointing away from P i.e. draw a horizontal arrow from P to the right and label it 30N.
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
The 30N force is pointing to the right. So how can it have a component pointing down the slope?

A tip I find useful : Draw the 30N force as an arrow pointing away from P i.e. draw a horizontal arrow from P to the right and label it 30N.

Am I not supposed to resolve it?:s-smilie: As far as I know the forces should be parallel to the slope or perpendicular I guess.
You went wrong in life mah friend
Reply 4
Am I not supposed to resolve it?:s-smilie: As far as I know the forces should be parallel to the slope or perpendicular I guess.

Your diagram would be correct if the 30N arrow was pointing to the left but it's not.

If you were to apply the two green forces to an object then it will result in a force to the left. Can you see that?

Try what I suggested: redraw the diagram with the 30N arrow pointing from P to the right. Then try and split the force into it's components.
(edited 7 years ago)
Another thing, while it's not wrong to find a from tan a=3/4, they give you these numbers to make it easy to find sin a and cos a using a 3,4,5 triangle. sin a=3/5 cos a=4/5.
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
Your diagram would be correct if the 30N arrow was pointing to the left but it's not.

If you were to apply the two green forces to an object then it will result in a force to the left. Can you see that?

Try what I suggested: redraw the diagram with the 30N arrow pointing from P to the right. Then try and split the force into it's components.

So should it look like this?

I'm not certain but I believe 30sin a should be in the opposite direction
Reply 8
Original post by miless090
Another thing, while it's not wrong to find a from tan a=3/4, they give you these numbers to make it easy to find sin a and cos a using a 3,4,5 triangle. sin a=3/5 cos a=4/5.

Would you mean? Could you please elaborate?:smile:
Reply 9
I'm not certain but I believe 30sin a should be in the opposite direction

Really? Why's that?:s-smilie:
Reply 10

No the two green forces would result in the blue force shown below:

If I draw the force like this then it may be easier to see what's going on:

The two components will be 1) up the slope and 2) downwards, in the same direction as the component of weight that is perpendicular to the slope.
(edited 7 years ago)
Really? Why's that?:s-smilie:

We were taught to create a triangle with the forces like this when resolving forces. If I'm honest I don't know why, but it's how we were taught and I've always got the right answer this way.
Reply 12
We were taught to create a triangle with the forces like this when resolving forces. If I'm honest I don't know why, but it's how we were taught and I've always got the right answer this way.

It's because if you have two forces as vectors F1 and F2 then the resultant force is equal to F1 + F2.

And if you think back to GCSE vector addition, you should be able to see why the triangle of forces works.
(edited 7 years ago)

Original post by notnek
It's because if you have two forces as vectors F1 and F2 then the resultant force is equal to F1 + F2.

And if you think back to GCSE vector addition, you should be able to see why the triangle of forces works.

Original post by notnek
No the two green forces would result in the blue force shown below:

If I draw the force like this then it may be easier to see what's going on:

The two components will be 1) up the slope and 2) downwards, in the same direction as the component of weight that is perpendicular to the slope.

Oh I see now!! Thank you soo much!! :biggrin:
Would you mean? Could you please elaborate?:smile:

Untitled.pngA well known right angled triangle is the 3 4 5 triangle. You're told tan a =3/4. At GCSE we were taught soh cah toa, tan = opposite/adjacent. So 3 is opposite the angle and 4 is adjacent to it. The hypotenuse is 5 so you can then find sin a (opposite/hypotenuse)=3/5 and cos a (adjacent/hypotenuse)=4/5
Untitled.pngA well known right angled triangle is the 3 4 5 triangle. You're told tan a =3/4. At GCSE we were taught soh cah toa, tan = opposite/adjacent. So 3 is opposite the angle and 4 is adjacent to it. The hypotenuse is 5 so you can then find sin a (opposite/hypotenuse)=3/5 and cos a (adjacent/hypotenuse)=4/5

So how would you use this traingle in this situation, is it like the one you drew before, 30sina and 30cosa?
Original post by notnek
X

So where should I include the alpha angle for the orange arrows?:smile:

So how would you use this traingle in this situation, is it like the one you drew before, 30sina and 30cosa?

If sin a=3/5. 30sin a is just 30*3/5=18.
cos a=4/5. 30cos a is 30*4/5=24.
If sin a=3/5. 30sin a is just 30*3/5=18.
cos a=4/5. 30cos a is 30*4/5=24.

Oh,I see!! And does that work in all situations? :smile:
Reply 19
So where should I include the alpha angle for the orange arrows?:smile:

Your components should always be perpendicular. Your orange arrows are not but that may just be your drawing.

I recommend you draw your components like this:

Notice where I have put α\alpha due to alternate/corresponding angles.

Quick Reply

Latest