The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel English Language Of Mice and Men

Hi guys,

I have my English Language exam next week and the novel its based on is Of Mice and Men. The thing is I haven't really revised any of Of Mice and Men and it's the half term right now so I plan on revising it during the holiday. Also I'm not really sure on how to revise the novel and characters, settings etc. Can someone help me on how to revise as if I don't get a C on this exam I'm going to have to redo it for a year in college and I really don't want to. My exam board is edexcel.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by S.Rahman
Hi guys,

I have my English Language exam next week and the novel its based on is Of Mice and Men. The thing is I haven't really revised any of Of Mice and Men and it's the half term right now so I plan on revising it during the holiday. Also I'm not really sure on how to revise the novel and characters, settings etc. Can someone help me on how to revise as if I don't get a C on this exam I'm going to have to redo it for a year in college and I really don't want to. My exam board is edexcel.

Thanks

learn key language features, and know certain extracts for all key characters, themes (violence/dream/loneliness) and setting (barn, crook's room, bunkhouse)
Reply 2
Same I'm doing that exam as well. Definetly practice lots of past papers, learn the key themes, the key quotes and their page numbers so you are not looking for the pages for too long in the exam.
Any predictions on questions ? Are you doing Edexcel or Aqa ?
Reply 4
I'm doing Edexcel and I dont even have a clue to what it might be, but whats your prediction
Reply 5
I'm doing Edexcel and the question could be about any of the main characters or key themes. I doubt it would be about a minor character.
Original post by Meeraaa
I'm doing Edexcel and the question could be about any of the main characters or key themes. I doubt it would be about a minor character.

I hope it is not going to be Slim . What do you think , what questions they might ask this year ?
Reply 7
Original post by Sarenkaldn
I hope it is not going to be Slim . What do you think , what questions they might ask this year ?

it can't be slim or violence, because that came up in the literature paper.

so far it has been for the part b question: relationship of g & l; curley's wife; george; important event

so it could be anything
Original post by Vigster
it can't be slim or violence, because that came up in the literature paper.

so far it has been for the part b question: relationship of g & l; curley's wife; george; important event

so it could be anything

I think I am doing a different exam :frown:it's so confusing . I have to write an essay ( creative writing part C ) , answer 3 questions about Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet and 3 questions on OMAM .This is Edexcel Exam board .
Reply 9
Hi guys,

Thanks

Wait isn't Of Mice and Men English Literature? I do WJEC and did my Literature papers before half term one of which has Of Mice and Men on it. The English Language exams are supposed to be reading and writing? I have my English Language exam after half term and it consists of reading and writing I do WJEC. You only have to retake Language if you fail not Literature and that's what Of Mice and Men is,
Reply 10
Original post by Sarenkaldn
I think I am doing a different exam :frown:it's so confusing . I have to write an essay ( creative writing part C ) , answer 3 questions about Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet and 3 questions on OMAM .This is Edexcel Exam board .

im doing edexcel A, and in the lanugage paper we get 2 questions on OMAM extract and a question on writer's voice (e.g. speech, article, letter, etc)
Reply 11
i predict the question will be on Candy as he hasnt came up before but everyother character has. i am predicting Candy due to looking at all the past papers and came to a conclusion that its going to be Candy. It could even be George as George hasnt came up on his own yet.
Reply 12
Original post by NH8
i predict the question will be on Candy as he hasnt came up before but everyother character has. i am predicting Candy due to looking at all the past papers and came to a conclusion that its going to be Candy. It could even be George as George hasnt came up on his own yet.

it can be a theme as well
Hi i'm taking the same exam and when practicing exam questions I follow these tips, also I have covered 2 possible responses for the different themes that could come up. Remember that whatever extract comes up for question 1 and 2, you can't write about in question 3.

Question 1 Of Mice Of Men:

Use 4-6 quotes
Use more than one keyword to define what each quote is showing
'From the extract we learn, it is evident that, the reader is introduced to the idea, steinbeck demonstrates'
'This is supported through, this is highlighted through, this is reinforced through, this is demonstrated through'
'This demonstrates, this reveals that, this implies that, significantly this shows'
Start a new paragraph for each point

Question 2 Of Mice Of Men:

Use 4-5 quotes
Introduce what each quote is 'emotive language, alliteration, metaphor, imperative'
Develop a quote by talking about the effect of the language used, what it suggests and the intention of it
Focus on two specific uses of language and what they symbolize after developing a quote
Start a new paragraph for each point

Question 3 Of Mice Of Men:

Introduce the historical and cultural context of the theme and make the link
Write about their situation (e.g why the theme is relevant to the character)
Use 3 quotes and justify them
Conclusion
4 paragraphs, cultural context, situation, quotes, conclusion

Themes for question 3:

Dreams Curley's wife:

The great depression was a high level of unemployment, affected working class e.g ranch workers, far more difficult for women to find employment as many physical occupations e.g ranch work and women didn't have rights to work unlike they do now. Women would economically depend on men so marriage was their only option for financial security.
Section 5 Unsurprisingly Curley's wife has dreams as wants to escape her miserable life. Curley's wife is desperate to tell Lennie about her dreams as lonely and dreams for love and companionship. She reveals her dream is to be in the movies, suitable for her as you get love, attention and companionship from that career and she is deprived of this.
'He says he was gonna put me in the movies, he was gonna write to me about it'...'I never got that letter so I married Curley'...'I never get to talk to nobody, I get awful lonely'...'I dont like Curley', being called Curley's wife shows her insignificance.
Taken seriously flattering promises made from a man who said she could be in the movies, marriage stated as her only option as she was unwilling, lives an isolated life with no companionship.
Her dream comforts her that she may escape her lonely and depressing life of living on the ranch and being with a man that she dislikes, gives hope.

Dreams George and Lennie:

The great depression was high level of unemployment, affected working class, e.g ranch workers, they would live and work in poor conditions as they were worried they would loose their jobs, employers would take advantage, long hours little pay.
Section 1 - George and Lennie were ranch workers during this devastating period which is why they had dreams. They discuss dreams of owning their own farm where Lennie can 'tend the rabbits', dream gives them something to strive for, comforts them and reassuring as may escape harsh reality of ranch life.
'We're gonna get the jack together and have a little house and a couple of acres'...'we got somebody to talk to that gives a damn about us'...'you got it by heart you can do it yourself'.
Shows they are determined to create an ambitious future, expresses their strong bond with one another/caring, George hesitates to tell Lennie their dream as he has disbelief that their dream is achievable; the dream still gives hope and helps remain positive about life. Reassures George as he know he can monitor Lennie and prevent him from creating havoc, be less of a burden.

Violence/anger Carlson:

Great depression was high level of unemployment, affected working class, e.g ranch workers, employers took advantage as long hours little play. Lived and worked in poor living conditions due to fear of loosing their job so would take frustration out on others. This also made them competitive with each other.
Section 3 - Carlson tries to prove his strength by violently shooting Candy's dog. The violent act starts as Carlson is taking anger out on Candy as sees him as vulnerable, old and worthless. Carlson is extremely frustrated character and demonstrates the perfect opportunity to torment Candy.
'God awmighty that dog stinks, get him outa here'...'shoot him in the back of the head right there'...'whyn't you shoot him Candy'.
This builds tension as it highlights Carlson is threatening and dislikes the dog. Carlson becomes extremely unsympathetic and careless towards candy's feeling. Wants to inflict violence and take frustration out on others. Also uses the repetition of shoot which emphasizes aggression and explicit language.
Carlson shoots the dog as he is trying to prove his strength through violence. Carlson shows no sympathy towards Candy's feelings throughout situation, is only interested in inflicting violence which emphasizes inconsiderate, violent and brutal nature.

Violence/anger George:

Great depression was high level of unemployment, affected working class, e.g ranch workers, employers took advantage as long hours little play. Lived and worked in poor living conditions due to fear of loosing their jobs so would take frustration out on others.
Section 1 George takes his anger out when he's verbally abusive towards Lennie for killing mice and being extremely forgetful. Also aggressive towards the bus driver as they dropped him and Lennie off many miles before their intended destination.
George is easily frustrated as anxious about job security, financial situation and poor living conditions.
'Bastard bus driver'...'Jesus Christ'...'Crazy bastard'...'Scowled over at Lennie'...'Jerked'.
Uses offensive and violent language to emphasize his aggression, uses lords name in vein to display frustration, repetition of 'bastard' highlights George is hot tempered, scowled demonstrates hostility, this emphasizes how irritated George is/violent movements.
Lennie is also a burden to George which causes George to become quick tempered with him.

Loneliness/racism/inequality/friendship Crooks room:

The great depression was high level of unemployment, affected working class, e.g ranch workers, employers took advantage as long hours little play. Lived and worked in poor living conditions and people were always temporary which made it hard to make permanent friends caused loneliness; far worse for Crooks as he was black living in a racial society.
Section 4 Crooks expresses his loneliness to Lennie when enters his room uninvited. He is lonely because he's victim of racial prejudice, segregated from ranch workers as lives in the stables and craves friendship.
Crooks is so lonely that tries to take revenge on white person by hurting Lennie, Crooks tells Lennie tales of George deserting him so he know what it is like to feel alone. Crooks takes loneliness out in a cynical way as gets pleasure out of tormenting Lennie.
'Crooks face lighted with pleasure in his torture'...'spose George went into town tonight and you never heard of him no more'...'George can tell you screwy things and it dont matter, it's just the talking'.
He wants Lennie to feel same pain he experienced as result of being lonely, his loneliness is emphasized as he shows strong degree of jealously towards George and Lennie's friendship, Crooks is deprived of companionship. Repetition of talking shows Crooks desperation for company and how isolated he is.

Loneliness/racism/inequality/friendship The description of Crook's room:

The great depression was high level of unemployment, affected working class, e.g ranch workers, employers took advantage as long hours little play. Lived and worked in poor living conditions and people were always temporary which made it hard to make permanent friends caused loneliness; far more lonely for Crooks as he was black living in a racial society.
Section 4 Crooks is extremely friendship deprived as he is friendless and dreams of company/companionship. Crooks is discriminated against for being black, e.g he lives in the stables which shows he is regarded as an animal. Crooks loneliness and the significance of friendship is demonstrated when Steinbeck writes about description of his room.
'Long box filled with straw', poor living conditions, highlights Crooks is inferior.
Repetition of 'little' represents his significance within society.
'Four-paned window', prison like and cannot escape his suffering.
'Single barreled shot gun', symbolizes his need to protect himself.
'Narrow plank door', shows little light will be going in to the room; therefore darkness reflects Crook's unhappiness.
Crooks discrimination and poor living conditions result in him being extremely isolated from the other ranch workers and his isolation expresses how Crooks significantly needs companionship/friendship.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
How do I explain the language features to write more detailed with quotes?
Reply 15
Original post by Vigster
it can be a theme as well

yes but not everybody learns the same theme so if it's going to be a theme it's going to be like the basic and easy ones so that's, not a problem really, but it was just what I predict
Reply 16
I don't get what you are saying?
Reply 17
Yes i know but it was just what i predict, and i predict Candy
Reply 18
Hi guys,

Thanks

Have you read the book? If you did read it once, you may likely to remember but it is best to read it twice and try to focus on the context, language features and theme as well.
Other than the shooting of candys dog (as that could be the extract given), what other extract could you use to analyse candy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending