The Student Room Group

So Stressed about OCR Computing, Please Help!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mo De
i'm really stressed about the computing exam in less than a week's time! i've tried almost every way of revising but its just not going in. If anyone could help with anything, it would be amazing, thank you :smile:

Make sure you bring up C#, Python or Java and give yourself a quick programming reminder with a little project. There's always 11-12 marks for it at the end of the paper.

If you cannot think of anything:

Spoiler

Original post by BTAnonymous
Who the flying sh*t is mr walker.

Some shakey dude at my school who can't teach resistant materials, and decided he wanted to teach people computer science, last year every single GCSE student of his dropped the subject, he's getting fired at the end of term.
Reply 22
Original post by CompyNerd
Ah right, okay. You don't need to worry, especially with the coursework to boost your grade. Last year I didn't do as well as I should've in the exam, but I still managed an A overall! It will be alright, just go over your notes - read them aloud. I have the AS OCR Comp sci exam on monday, and that's what I'm doing to prepare. Also using the specification really helps.

Thank you for the advice, this really helped. BTW good luck with your exam on Monday :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by GaryIsASloth
Make sure you bring up C#, Python or Java and give yourself a quick programming reminder with a little project. There's always 11-12 marks for it at the end of the paper.

If you cannot think of anything:

Spoiler

Thank you for the advice, :smile:
GCSE or A-Level?

How are you revising for AS computer science? Im doing my GCSE's but I'm also doing AS CS and I don't understand anything!! Do you have any advice? Thank you so much
Original post by hafsa473
How are you revising for AS computer science? Im doing my GCSE's but I'm also doing AS CS and I don't understand anything!! Do you have any advice? Thank you so much

o.0 Good on you I guess! :smile:
AS CS is very similar to GCSE computing, if anything I feel like GCSE had more content only AS CS has some parts that are slightly more complex. You didn't ask me but heres some advice: Run whilst you still can.

jk
But definitely have a look at previous specification papers inc. GCSE papers and see what exactly they want for you to get the marks :smile:
Original post by Someboady
o.0 Good on you I guess! :smile:
AS CS is very similar to GCSE computing, if anything I feel like GCSE had more content only AS CS has some parts that are slightly more complex. You didn't ask me but heres some advice: Run whilst you still can.

jk
But definitely have a look at previous specification papers inc. GCSE papers and see what exactly they want for you to get the marks :smile:

Thanks I have been doing past papers but the mark scheme is specific which is very annoying...
Is the GCSE spec also new? Like will your be the first year to be doing GCSE computing?
Thanks I have been doing past papers but the mark scheme is specific which is very annoying...
Is the GCSE spec also new? Like will your be the first year to be doing GCSE computing?

Aye but things have slightly changed this year and they're accepting alternative responses too. But to be safe make sure you get the mark scheme answers.
I do AS computer science ;P I did the old GCSE computing spec. The new one is GCSE Computer Science i think its being taught next academic year.
Original post by Mo De
Thank you for the advice, :smile:

The question he's referring to is a 12 Marker on PseudoCode. Ensure you can code for different scenarios and pray that the question they give you isn't too difficult :smile:
Ah right, okay. You don't need to worry, especially with the coursework to boost your grade. Last year I didn't do as well as I should've in the exam, but I still managed an A overall! It will be alright, just go over your notes - read them aloud. I have the AS OCR Comp sci exam on monday, and that's what I'm doing to prepare. Also using the specification really helps.

was your couserwrok a controlled assesment?
Aye but things have slightly changed this year and they're accepting alternative responses too. But to be safe make sure you get the mark scheme answers.
I do AS computer science ;P I did the old GCSE computing spec. The new one is GCSE Computer Science i think its being taught next academic year.

Do you feel ready for the exam?
Reply 31
Stressing about the exam so much. Our coursework was dragged for so long. We only started our first lesson of content last week. It was a double period. Now it's the holidays and we have to teach ourselves the content. And I wanted an A or A* :'(
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you feel ready for the exam?

Hahaha in no way or form. 3 days left to revise so I've got to make them count though. Turning off my phone for the next 3 days I reckon. I know the stuff for the exams dont get me wrong, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether you can apply that knowledge and for us since we have no exam papers its pretty difficult. Are you taking the AS exams this year?
Reply 33
Since the coursework is 60%, and I've got an A*, how much do I need for an a* overall? :smile:
Hahaha in no way or form. 3 days left to revise so I've got to make them count though. Turning off my phone for the next 3 days I reckon. I know the stuff for the exams dont get me wrong, but at the end of the day it comes down to whether you can apply that knowledge and for us since we have no exam papers its pretty difficult. Are you taking the AS exams this year?

Yes...I'm not ready at all either, like in school, for the mocks I got a U because I didn't understand it at all, but like my friend knows a teacher who is an examiner for AS computer science and he gave him a paper for this syllabus as a practice which would be helpful.
I also have a history exam on the same day and I don't know any of that either so I'm ****ed. It' overlaps with this exam too :cry::cry:
Good luck!
Yes...I'm not ready at all either, like in school, for the mocks I got a U because I didn't understand it at all, but like my friend knows a teacher who is an examiner for AS computer science and he gave him a paper for this syllabus as a practice which would be helpful.
I also have a history exam on the same day and I don't know any of that either so I'm ****ed. It' overlaps with this exam too :cry::cry:
Good luck!

Difficult life m8.I guess you have to take it now. Try your best, Your GCSEs are more important though! Good luck to you too! It'll all be over in about 25 days :smile:
Original post by GaryIsASloth
Some shakey dude at my school who can't teach resistant materials, and decided he wanted to teach people computer science, last year every single GCSE student of his dropped the subject, he's getting fired at the end of term.

Oh god. I thought I had it bad!
LOOL me neither. I both respect and pity those who do essay subjects xD. eerrr I'm doing it at Uni but idk if its worth continuing at A-level. I think I'd rather just do more Maths tbh... at least that's something I'll be mildly comfortable with when exams do come along.... *cries*

Ah, I'd planned to do it at uni but now I'm not so sure! I much prefer maths and physics. I just can't stand the dull theory.
Ah, I'd planned to do it at uni but now I'm not so sure! I much prefer maths and physics. I just can't stand the dull theory.

Same here! Have you considered engineering? I'm stilll split between engineering and Computer Science tbh! Yeah like hell who needs to know about goddamn DATABASES.
anyone that does a test on a computer screen is a complete imbecile and shouldn't bother revising as their brain can only handle enough information to recognise what day of the week it is

Quick Reply

Latest