The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keighley.a
the real problem with this is, none of us know the full story- sure we know what the newspapers have published, but who's to say they aren't biased and full of utter crap? just because Johnny Depp was well liked and respected, doesn't mean we can disregard the case as her being a 'gold digger', it's stupid and gives the wrong message to people- that they can get away with abuse too because it's fine. The court and jury will make their decision- if he's punished then he's guilty, if not Amber is trying to get attention and money- but either way, does our opinion really count? Nobody really cares what other people think, because people already have their own opinions, and aren't likely to change them, so why argue about it. The justice system will punish whoever deserves it, and till then- it doesn't really affect us, the general public.

What do you mean, "if not?" Either way she is this. And how is that seriously ok? What about that for an example, seriously?
Original post by Blue_Mason
I never said it was okay, but you need to understand my point, as it is one of the main reasons in why domestic violence takes place.

You don't blame the victim of domestic abuse when it takes place. It's not right.
Original post by tanyapotter
As far as I'm aware, citing the reason "gold-digging" as an excuse for domestic abuse will not hold in court

Yes it will, divorce court. Which is all she cares about. This isn't court, anyway, this is a conversation between me and you. people can't have an opinion because it's not gonna hold in court? Please. Anyway she's using him and you're ok with this? I find it sick and weird that she is a masochist who withstood "abuse" just to bring it to this level to maybe qualify for what she's claiming. That's a bad example, since everyone wants to talk about Depp's. What about hers?
You don't blame the victim of domestic abuse when it takes place. It's not right.

Lmao the "victim?" That's like if you came up to someone screaming and saying horrible things and flailing your arms at them while they're in a bad emotional/mental state, and they just happen to be stronger than you and the aggressor suddenly gets the bad end of what they started :rolleyes: what a victim.
Original post by 0to100
What do you mean, "if not?" Either way she is this. And how is that seriously ok? What about that for an example, seriously?

I honestly don't care about your opinion and you obviously don't care about mine, so I'm not getting into a debate with you because I'm seeing both sides of the argument, yet you are clearly too blinded to see both sides. I said, if she is faking, because no-one has any proof that it is either way apart from her, Johnny and the courts, so we should just leave the situation?
Original post by TrueDetective01
You don't believe in due process, do you?

This thread was asking what we thought of the situation. What I think is that he is guilty of domestic abuse and should be punished accordingly.

If he is found not guilty then he shouldn't, and won't, be punished. If he is, he will. They will both hopefully be treated fairly under law, but until then, we are allowed to voice what we think (and I understand that many of you don't think he hit her/she's doing it for the money - but I'm allowed to express how appaling I find that too). It's not like I am passing the sentence or I'm in the jury.
Original post by keighley.a
I honestly don't care about your opinion and you obviously don't care about mine, so I'm not getting into a debate with you because I'm seeing both sides of the argument, yet you are clearly too blinded to see both sides. I said, if she is faking, because no-one has any proof that it is either way apart from her, Johnny and the courts, so we should just leave the situation?

What're you talking about woman? I've never spoken to you so what're you on about me not caring about what you have to say. You're the blinded one lmao seriously. Don't indirectly challenge my opinion and then when I quote you, you get petty?

And have you not seen the articles? Everyone has proof. There's loads of articles showing her face, the texts, etc. I even posted links and photos! She's selling the story for money. It's disgusting and no one sees this because they're blinded by double standards and emotions.
This thread was asking what we thought of the situation. What I think is that he is guilty of domestic abuse and should be punished accordingly.

If he is found not guilty then he shouldn't, and won't, be punished. If he is, he will. They will both hopefully be treated fairly under law, but until then, we are allowed to voice what we think (and I understand that many of you don't think he hit her/she's doing it for the money - but I'm allowed to express how appaling I find that too). It's not like I am passing the sentence or I'm in the jury.

But your posts sort of suggest we should believe the victim no matter what and you are getting emotional over the fact that some posters don't. :s-smilie:
I honestly feel so bad he ended up with a viper exposing all his problems and backstabbing him. Her career will continue to struggle but what will she care with his money? All for a couple smacks while he was stressed.
Original post by 0to100
I'm not dodging anything. And if you've "gathered," then leave it alone.

You are because you still haven't answered :lol:

If he did attack her, he should be punished right? I'm sure you agree with that fundamental law?
Original post by 0to100
Lmao the "victim?" That's like if you came up to someone screaming and saying horrible things and flailing your arms at them while they're in a bad emotional/mental state, and they just happen to be stronger than you and the aggressor suddenly gets the bad end of what they started :rolleyes: what a victim.

Nowhere in this pathetic description did you mention the fact that he physically attacked her.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Whether or not it is provoked, they are still the victim, at least if the violent one is male. Violence is generally seen as not a valid response to mental and physical abuse.

People are deflecting. It's mad. So ignore that Depp has demons he's struggling with and a horrible wife on his arm who provokes him while he's apparently disturbed instead of helping and supporting him. And then has the cheek to exploit him. Let's ignore this then.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Tbh, these actors and singers are all drugged up weirdos, wouldn't put anything past them

If he is found to have domestically abused her, I'd personally approve of the death penalty, even if it were provoked.

If she is found to have faked it (she is an actor, in the middle of divorce proceedings for a very large sum), then she should not be given any of his estate.

So if he attacked her, which is very unlikely given the current facts you'd approve of the death sentence. But if she's found to be lying she should walk away scot free without the settlement fee which is ridiculous in itself that women should be entitled to it but that's another matter.

Damn I actually thought you were reasonably intelligent having briefly come across your posts once or twice in the past.
Nowhere in this pathetic description did you mention the fact that he physically attacked her.

"Description?" Your vocabulary is what's pathetic. And nowhere in your entire pathetic argument have you seemed to realise people are human and make mistakes and shouldn't be exploited for them by "loved" ones. He's probably so alone and she is a snake.
Reply 74
True :smile:
Original post by TrueDetective01
But your posts sort of suggest we should believe the victim no matter what and you are getting emotional over the fact that some posters don't. :s-smilie:

If you don't believe it, fine. I suppose I don't have the right to be appalled at people who don't believe it happened, because he has not been found guilty yet.

But if you do believe it, and continue to think it's okay, then yes. That troubles me. It excasterbates the existing problem of victims of domestic abuse being unable to speak out.
Reply 76
np glad you see the light now :biggrin:
He is innocent.
How can I possibly know this? Because he hasn't been tried and found guilty.
I have no dog in this fight as I'm not a fan, in fact I think he is a **** one dimensional actor and I cant stand watching him on the screen, but he is innocent.
I wouldn't know her if I fell over her. She may be telling the truth or she may be lying.
Some men do hit women and some women do lie about domestic violence to their own advantage.
This is why we have police investigations.
Original post by 0to100
"Description?" Your vocabulary is what's pathetic. And nowhere in your entire pathetic argument have you seemed to realise people are human and make mistakes and shouldn't be exploited for them by "loved" ones. He's probably so alone and she is a snake.

With every post, you justify domestic violence more and more. I can't change this, but I can take comfort in the fact that not everyone is so backwards like you.
Original post by MrDystopia
I asked whether you agree that he should be held accountable if he did indeed attack her. Whatever the punishment that follows. Don't dodge the question.

And I've gathered what your point is, owing to the many repeating posts you've made about her just wanting his money.

Ofc he should be held accountable. But its a valid point that it looks like an attempt to extract as much money as she can from him.

Latest