The Student Room Group

Questions about shia-ism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tawheed
I just wanted to hilight another hadith , an authentic one, i forgot to mention the other day. Again, i am only stating point blank almost verbatim what the hadiths say and the obvious points to grasp from them and derive from them. I am not slandering anyone.

Abu Hudhaifah narrated - and he was one of the companions of 'Abdullãh bin Mas'üd - from'Aishah who said: "I told theProphet (ﷺ) about a man, so hesaid: 'I do not like to talk about aman, even if I were to get this orthat (for doing so)." She said: "Isaid: 'O Messenger of Allah!Safiyyah is a woman who is ..." andshe used her hand as if to indicatethat she is short - "So he said:'You have said a statement which,if it were mixed in with the waterof the sea, it would pollute it."
Saheeh -Tirmidhi

I said to the Prophet (ﷺ): It is enough for you in Safiyyah that she is such and such (the other version than Musaddad's has:smile: meaning that she was short-statured. He replied; You have said a word which would change the sea if it were mixed in it. She said: I imitated a man before him (out of disgrace). He said: I do not like that I imitate anyone even if I should get such and such.

Just ponder over this for a second. Imagine, Muhammed s.a.w telling Um Aisha, that you have just uttered a statement, if you had mixed it in with the water of the sea, it would pollute it. Meaning, the statement is vile. This is not me slandering Umulmimineen Aisha, i'm just point blank stating what Rasullah s.a.w himself has stated.

Essentially , again, we find enimity between her and other wifes. This time, it is back-biting over Safiyyah, insituating to the prophet that she is too short, and that her short stature is a flaw - is Rasullah s.a.w content with such a short woman? - the same wife who she threw a plate of good food onto the ground in the hadith i showed you yesterday, in anger and jealousy:

Ayesha said: “Safiyya, the wife of the Prophet (a), sent a dish she had made for him when he was with me. When I saw the maidservant, I trembled with rage and fury, and I took the bowl and hurled it away. The Prophet of Allah (a) then looked at me; I saw the anger in his face and I said to him: ‘I seek refuge from Allah’s Apostle cursing me today.’ The Prophet said: ‘Undo it’. I said: ‘What is its compensation, O Prophet of Allah?’ He said: ‘The food like her food, and a bowl like her bowl.’”
1. Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, Volume 6 page 227 Tradition 26409
2. Sunan Nasai, Volume 2 page 148
3. Majma al-Zawaed, Volume 4 page 372 Tradition 7692

The reviser of Musnad Ahmed namely Shaykh Shoib al-Arnaut declared the tradition to be ‘Hasan’ while Al-Haythami said: ‘The narrators are Thiqah’.

I fully understand she is not Mas'm. Umulmimineen Aisha is not infallible. But surely, one can not excuse behaviour like this under the pretext one is not infallible. We do not find conduct like this in Khadija r.a, Umm Salama r.a, Umm sauda r.a, etc and they are not infallible either.

It is truly heart-breaking when i am told i am insulting umm aisha, or i am a kaffir unbeliever, or a 'rafidah', when i am spoken about behind my back, for simply stating that, on account of clear evidence, i hold a different opinion about who is the most truthworthy, who i will follow in terms of the true sunnah, and my opinion on personalities, their histories, and therefore actions they have commited.

I will never abuse, mock, revile her, it is not my place to do such a thing as a muslim. But surely, i am allowed an academic opinion on such clear proof, without mass hysteria, people misquoting me, and using simple, pure, and cordial academic discussion to provoke secterianism simply because someone has reached a different historical opinion.

Thank you for the long and informative reply :smile:

So from what I can gather,Aisha isn't look upon very well?
Original post by Sciatic
x

Original post by Al-farhan
x

Salamunalaykum brothers,

Sunni's are considered as muslim brothers and sisters. We consider sunni muslims, and their scholars, to be brothers. We do not say Sunni alims and scholars are all kafirs, but the sunni layman are muslims out of their ignorance. We consider sunni muslims and their scholars generally to be muslims.

I'm going through a little bit of a difficult time in real life at the moment. You have raised some points i have discussed with others in the past, and inshAllah i will refer you to answers. Others, i will need to double check and research their references.

When i get time, inshAllah i will reply to you all, including those who have asked questions before you.

Just a point to make, 'Nasibi' in shia hadith is not accurately translated as sunni. I have seen people try to cause disunity and go against the ijmah of our scholars today and mis-translate things - one such individual is Abu Musab.

I have sunni family members, and inshAllah tommorow i will go over their house. They are going to be there for me during a very very difficult time, and may Allah reward them.
Original post by queen-bee
Thank you for the long and informative reply :smile:

So from what I can gather,Aisha isn't look upon very well?

It is impermissible to slander her, throw abuse at her, or, like some people who have been condemned by highest ranking shia scholars, make up lies about her such as adultery, killing the prophet Muhammed s.a.w

We take an academic line. We judge people who claim things of Muhammed s.aw simply to be able to obtain the true sunnah. We need to know the characters and the truthfulness and the reliability to discern what the truth is, and what it isn't.

It would suffice to say we consider Lady Khadija, Umm Salama r.a, Umm Sauda and many of the other wives, who the Quran does not rebuke, and who did not disobey Rasullah s.a.w, or insult other wives, as well as those who had no grudge with Ali ibn Abi Talib a.s, to be of a higher level and standard.

Due to her position to Rasullah s.a.w, i will maintain the utmost respect when talking about her, as well as due to the importance of realising her position and rank to many of my sunni brothers and sisters.
Brothers and sisters, i feel ashamed to admit at the moment i am not in the right mental state to answer any question, as i won't do justice to answering some of these complex questions in my current state.

I don't like to complain about my personal issues, but i feel i need to disclose this so no-one feels i am trying to ignore on a promise i made, or avoid answering a question.

Wallah my intention was to do so after my exams, but i need some more time, inshAllah.
Original post by QE2
So the validity and acceptability of interpretation or understanding isn't necessarily a function of "scholarship". Those arrived at through necessity can be acceptable. Therefore, there is no objective reason why individuals can't arrive at their own interpretations, in general.

An appeal to popularity fallacy is never a good argument.
It would seem that, objectively, Quranist would be the default position. Although I still don't see what's wrong with just "Muslim", with no qualifier - I suppose that they are essentially the same thing.

The "no True Muslim" fallacy doesn't work. Especially when every faction raises the same argument.

Apologies for the delay (not just in replying to you on this thread), I hope to get on with it over the weekend. Thanks for your patience.
Original post by Tawheed
Brothers and sisters, i feel ashamed to admit at the moment i am not in the right mental state to answer any question, as i won't do justice to answering some of these complex questions in my current state.

I don't like to complain about my personal issues, but i feel i need to disclose this so no-one feels i am trying to ignore on a promise i made, or avoid answering a question.

Wallah my intention was to do so after my exams, but i need some more time, inshAllah.

Brother, it's fine. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss it, or to just verbalise/express the tension.
Original post by Tawheed
Salamunalaykum brothers,

Sunni's are considered as muslim brothers and sisters. We consider sunni muslims, and their scholars, to be brothers. We do not say Sunni alims and scholars are all kafirs, but the sunni layman are muslims out of their ignorance. We consider sunni muslims and their scholars generally to be muslims.

I'm going through a little bit of a difficult time in real life at the moment. You have raised some points i have discussed with others in the past, and inshAllah i will refer you to answers. Others, i will need to double check and research their references.

When i get time, inshAllah i will reply to you all, including those who have asked questions before you.

Just a point to make, 'Nasibi' in shia hadith is not accurately translated as sunni. I have seen people try to cause disunity and go against the ijmah of our scholars today and mis-translate things - one such individual is Abu Musab.

I have sunni family members, and inshAllah tommorow i will go over their house. They are going to be there for me during a very very difficult time, and may Allah reward them.

Wa alakum al salaam brother.
I appreciate the reply and I hope god eases your difficulties.
We do not say Sunni alims and scholars are all kafirs, but the sunni layman are muslims out of their ignorance. We consider sunni muslims and their scholars generally to be muslims.

Would that mean some scholars are viewed as kaffirs/nasibis, and would Abu Hanifa count as one, as per the earlier quote I saw in the books.
Would the knowledgeable sunni who puts other in higher rank over Ali ra and doesn't believe in wilayaah count as nasibi/kaffir?
You have raised some points i have discussed with others in the past, and inshAllah i will refer you to answers. Others, i will need to double check and research their references.

I assure you obtained all the quotes directly from shia source books, and I even went as far as only obtaining the books from authentic shia websites as to avoid and material being played with, not that any sunni scholars would do just. Just for me to have piece of mind I'm reading the madhab's true sources.
Finally I'm no Abu musa'ab al-zarqawi. So I hope you don't think of me as one.
ps: please feel free to reply whenever you are ready, I hope things go well inshaAllah.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ash92:)
Apologies for the delay (not just in replying to you on this thread), I hope to get on with it over the weekend. Thanks for your patience.

Brother, it's fine. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss it, or to just verbalise/express the tension.

JazakAllah brother, and thank you very much for your kindness, may Allah reward you.

I feel guilty for having expressed personal problems, i do not want to be seen as one who is trying to evoke sympathy, but keep me and all of us in your dua's and prayers.
Original post by Tawheed

You don't owe us a reply nor are you obliged to answer our questions. A simple "I will reply to your questions when I have the time" would've sufficed and thereafter we wouldn't assume you are ignoring or refusing to answer or reply. On the other hand, if you have something that is disturbing you - you shouldn't really be reading/typing what I think will be taxing to you if it doesn't serve as a useful distraction. Hope you recover from whatever you are undergoing :smile:
Original post by Tawheed

It is perfectly fine tawheed.
Just take care of things and come back well.
I appreciate the reply and I hope god eases your difficulties.

JazakAllah, apologies about this. And Ilahiameen

Would that mean some scholars are viewed as kaffirs/nasibis, and would Abu Hanifa count as one, as per the earlier quote I saw in the books.
Would the knowledgeable sunni who puts other in higher rank over Ali ra and doesn't believe in wilayaah count as nasibi/kaffir?

I assure you obtained all the quotes directly from shia source books, and I even went as far as only obtaining the books from authentic shia websites as to avoid and material being played with, not that any sunni scholars would do just. Just for me to have piece of mind I'm reading the madhab's true sources.

I have this year regularly prayed salah behind knowledgable sunni's. My sunni family clearly know what they believe, and i offered with my brother father and many shia members of my community salah behind a sunni imam.

Sunni imams and scholars are considered muslims. We have hosted any events with them, and in Iran, they are invited to a shia-sunni unity week.

However, i need to go and do a bit of research about some of the other things you have asked me, and consult some expert advice, i do not want to elucidate and make any mistakes.

inshAllah give me time, and i will answer.

One thing of note is there are shia's who write some offensive things who also dislike ayatullah Khamanei , many of our ulema, etc and some of them go onto the point of cursing them and insulting them, and the also own these sites.

I am not saying that is the case here though, i will examine in time what you have presented.

Finally I'm no Abu musa'ab al-zarqawi. So I hope you don't think of me as one.

Definitely not brother.
Original post by Sciatic
You don't owe us a reply nor are you obliged to answer our questions. A simple "I will reply to your questions when I have the time" would've sufficed and thereafter we wouldn't assume you are ignoring or refusing to answer or reply. On the other hand, if you have something that is disturbing you - you shouldn't really be reading/typing what I think will be taxing to you if it doesn't serve as a useful distraction. Hope you recover from whatever you are undergoing :smile:

I promised Al Farhan i would reply to questions after my exams, and since my exams have ended, i wanted to explain, but thank you brother.
JazakAllah Khayr
It is perfectly fine tawheed.
Just take care of things and come back well.

I will re-read every question posted, so don't worry about any question being lost. Ones i can not answer i will refer to expert opinions and enquire about them and redirect you. I will answer from those who know more/scholars, and will need time to read up and re-check a few of these things as to not speculate or use conjecture.
Original post by ODES_PDES
Do Muslims swear?

The non-religious ones do but not really the religious ones.
Original post by Tawheed
JazakAllah brother, and thank you very much for your kindness, may Allah reward you.

I feel guilty for having expressed personal problems, i do not want to be seen as one who is trying to evoke sympathy, but keep me and all of us in your dua's and prayers.

There is no need to feel bad or embarrassed.

Surah Al-Baqarah, ayah 155:

وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُم بِشَيْءٍ مِّنَ الْخَوْفِ وَالْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِّنَ الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَنفُسِ وَالثَّمَرَاتِ وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ
And We will most certainly try you with somewhat of fear and hunger and loss of property and lives and fruits; and give good news to the patient.

https://inreflectionofthequran.wordpress.com/the-qurans-advice-regarding-hardships-of-this-dunya-and-tawakkul/

https://inreflectionofthequran.wordpress.com/between-faith-and-distress-fill-your-soul-with-the-remembrance-of-allah/
Original post by ash92:)
There is no need to feel bad or embarrassed.

Surah Al-Baqarah, ayah 155:

وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُم بِشَيْءٍ مِّنَ الْخَوْفِ وَالْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍ مِّنَ الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَنفُسِ وَالثَّمَرَاتِ وَبَشِّرِ الصَّابِرِينَ
And We will most certainly try you with somewhat of fear and hunger and loss of property and lives and fruits; and give good news to the patient.

https://inreflectionofthequran.wordpress.com/the-qurans-advice-regarding-hardships-of-this-dunya-and-tawakkul/

https://inreflectionofthequran.wordpress.com/between-faith-and-distress-fill-your-soul-with-the-remembrance-of-allah/

JazakAllah Khayr for this brother.
Reply 275
@Tawheed brother Asalaamu Alaikum and take care of yourself. May Allah help you with the difficulty you are facing. Ameen.
A thread to discuss and understand the madhab of ahlubait.

I assume you are a Shiite.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I assume you are a Shiite.

nope he sunny
Original post by ☪☪☪
nope he sunny

Sunny side up
Original post by ☪☪☪
nope he sunny

Sunny better than rainy!

Quick Reply

Latest