The Student Room Group

Earth Science/Geography Access Course?

Hey everyone,

So basically long back story I want to go to university to study geography; however I did not take A-levels (even though my teachers encouraged me to) because I wanted to be a Vet Nurse so I (was stubborn) thought that an Animal Management course would be better suited to what I want as I thought no a-levels were related to vet nursing (always wanted to be a VN but always had geography in the back of my mind). Anyway I got into uni, loved the academic side, hated the job (7 y/o me childhood dream crushed) so I left.

So anyway.....

I'm desperate to study Geography BSc(Hons) --- I like the physical more than human but would like the broad degree overall !!! Even throughout my college course and VN degree I was contemplating if I'd made the right decision --- obviously not.

So I've applied to study Earth Science Access to HE course at a college but I haven't heard anything back! So if I never hear anything back or do not get in to the course I'm kind of screwed really.

So please does anyone have any advice or recommendations for this big predicament I am in???

Or even any experiences from earth science Access Courses to ultimately help you get a place in uni. Or any courses I will literally take anything right now XD.

Thank you.
There's no point making multiple threads asking the same question, you will just keep getting the same answer. See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65400741&postcount=2
Original post by J3zz

So I've applied to study Earth Science Access to HE course at a college but I haven't heard anything back! So if I never hear anything back or do not get in to the course I'm kind of screwed really.

If a reasonable amount of time has passed, I'd suggest ringing them up to see how your application is going.

Alternatively, look into universities offering foundation degrees. The first example I found:

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/earth-sciences-entry-route-leading-to-bsc-hons-4-year-route-including-a-foundation-year-at-carmel-college/overview/
Hi, I was in a similar (kind of) situation last year. I didn't do A-levels because I wanted to join the police, wasn't too keen on where it was going and had always been really interested in geography. I had been self learning Geog A-level because I was interested in it. I relocated to London with my partner who had a new job so I quit my job and decided it would be a great time to pursue a geography degree.I too prefer the physical side of geography. I enrolled on an earth science access course at Richmond College around August last year, that got cancelled as I was the only person on the course!!! So instead I enrolled on a sciene access course. It was really hard finding something other than earth science that was suitable for geography but I was advised that a science course would be good for Bsc Geography. I did pretty well, most of the science course had very little to do with geography but it will be useful when I come to study geography at QMUL in September. What college have you enrolled on earth science at? I wouldn't worry too much because you have plenty of time to get on an access course if anything goes wrong with this one. I enrolled in September for mine! The course had already started and it was because of my other course being cancelled that I had to do it this way. Good luck!
Original post by danielcb12
Hi, I was in a similar (kind of) situation last year. I didn't do A-levels because I wanted to join the police, wasn't too keen on where it was going and had always been really interested in geography. I had been self learning Geog A-level because I was interested in it. I relocated to London with my partner who had a new job so I quit my job and decided it would be a great time to pursue a geography degree.I too prefer the physical side of geography. I enrolled on an earth science access course at Richmond College around August last year, that got cancelled as I was the only person on the course!!! So instead I enrolled on a sciene access course. It was really hard finding something other than earth science that was suitable for geography but I was advised that a science course would be good for Bsc Geography. I did pretty well, most of the science course had very little to do with geography but it will be useful when I come to study geography at QMUL in September. What college have you enrolled on earth science at? I wouldn't worry too much because you have plenty of time to get on an access course if anything goes wrong with this one. I enrolled in September for mine! The course had already started and it was because of my other course being cancelled that I had to do it this way. Good luck!

What are the entry requirements to do an access course?
Original post by Astrainlinat
What are the entry requirements to do an access course?

This is a very old thread, if you have a question about access courses then I suggest you post a new thread in the Mature Students forum. I'm closing this thread now.

Latest

Trending

Trending