The Student Room Group

I'm an atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TMC113
What research have you done to influence your eternal destiny?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have researched the theory of evolution and found it to be false, a hoax.

My spirit recognises and resonates with a living God. I've had a supernatural encounter with Jesus and recognise the Bible to be the truth and its contents to be relevant to today's world, the past and the events of the future to come.

The beauty of God is all around and the wonders of creation are evidence of God's hand.

The bible says “For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.”– Romans 1:20

We have a conscience which demonstrates there is a universal set of morals which we all share.

“They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.”– Romans 2:15-16,

it is estimated the Book of Isaiah was written between 701 and 681 B.C before any space travel or NASA declared the universe is expanding, bible records the earth is circular and the universe is expanding

Isaiah 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in

God is non-spatial, he exists outside of time, matter or space. God is supernatural and is not of form, He is spirit

God created the universe with immaculate precision, it is not guess work and there is an absolute impossibility that it all happened by chance.
"the orientation of the axis remains the same relative to the background stars. This causes one pole to be directed more toward the Sun on one side of the orbit, and the other pole on the other side the cause of the seasons on the Earth. Earth's obliquity oscillates between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees on a 41,000-year cycle. It is currently 23.4 degrees and decreasing".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

Just a few reasons.
Original post by Onde
I am. I consider all gods to be impossible. The supernatural necessarily has no measurable impact on reality, their divine properties are contrary to the laws of nature, and it is clear they do not have their attributed ethical qualities. It isn't just a matter of lack evidence: it is the fact that gods, as supernatural beings, cannot be phenomena: i.e. elements that occur in the natural world ("reality":wink:: those who suppose otherwise are simply trying to have their cake and eat it.

You're a rare kind.

You're making the assumption that divine beings must be bound by the laws of nature which they are usually are believed not to.
Original post by Onde
Not at all. If a being has a tangible effect on reality, it is by definition a natural phenomenon. Many would say I am limiting the power of the supernatural, but I think it is you who is limiting the power of nature. Face it, you cannot provide evidence that divine beings are not bound by the laws of nature, and any attempts to do so would be oxymoronic and self-defeating.

And if I can't does it mean it's not true or probably not true?

If it was otherwise, you wouldn't be here to put forward these weak arguments. You are presuming essentially that because something was a certain way...it MUST necessarily have been designed that way.

And what do you propose, it just 'fell' into place?
Reply 144
Original post by Racoon

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon

I'm sure that if an infinite amount of people had an infinite amount of turns throwing an infinite number of 'watch parts' together, somewhere, a watch could be formed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TMC113
I'm sure that if an infinite amount of people had an infinite amount of turns throwing an infinite number of 'watch parts' together, somewhere, a watch could be formed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt that very much.
Original post by Onde
Why do you presume it had a cause?

Saying that the conditions that bought about your life must necessarily have been fined-tuned with you in mind is an absurd argument.

I feel the absurd argument lies with the people who put all their faith in the probability of everything happening by accident or chance.
Original post by Racoon
x

Just out of curiosity, are you a Young Earth Creationist? Do you take Genesis literally (e.g. the Earth is 6000 years old)? :smile:
Original post by champ_mc99
Just out of curiosity, are you a Young Earth Creationist? Do you take Genesis literally (e.g. the Earth is 6000 years old)? :smile:

I don't know how old the earth is but I certainly believe it is youngish, in the thousands not the millions.

Yes, I do take Genesis account of creation literally.

I tend to dislike the term YEC :biggrin: as its normally said in a derogatory way.
Reply 150
Original post by Racoon
I don't know how old the earth is but I certainly believe it is youngish, in the thousands not the millions.

I tend to dislike the term YEC :biggrin: as its normally said in a derogatory way.

That derogatory way is deserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Racoon
I have researched the theory of evolution and found it to be false, a hoax.

My spirit recognises and resonates with a living God. I've had a supernatural encounter with Jesus and recognise the Bible to be the truth and its contents to be relevant to today's world, the past and the events of the future to come.

The beauty of God is all around and the wonders of creation are evidence of God's hand.

The bible says “For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.”– Romans 1:20

We have a conscience which demonstrates there is a universal set of morals which we all share.

“They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right. And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.”– Romans 2:15-16,

it is estimated the Book of Isaiah was written between 701 and 681 B.C before any space travel or NASA declared the universe is expanding, bible records the earth is circular and the universe is expanding

Isaiah 40:22 It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in

God is non-spatial, he exists outside of time, matter or space. God is supernatural and is not of form, He is spirit

God created the universe with immaculate precision, it is not guess work and there is an absolute impossibility that it all happened by chance.
"the orientation of the axis remains the same relative to the background stars. This causes one pole to be directed more toward the Sun on one side of the orbit, and the other pole on the other side the cause of the seasons on the Earth. Earth's obliquity oscillates between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees on a 41,000-year cycle. It is currently 23.4 degrees and decreasing".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

Just a few reasons.

Tell me about your supernatural encounter with Jesus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by Racoon
I doubt that very much.

You should find this interesting:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/may/04/virtual-library-of-babel-makes-borgess-infinite-store-of-books-a-reality-almost
https://libraryofbabel.info/

Original post by Onde
I am. I consider all gods to be impossible. The supernatural necessarily has no measurable impact on reality, their divine properties are contrary to the laws of nature, and it is clear they do not have their attributed ethical qualities. It isn't just a matter of lack evidence: it is the fact that gods, as supernatural beings, cannot be phenomena: i.e. elements that occur in the natural world ("reality"): those who suppose otherwise are simply trying to have their cake and eat it.

You're basing that on the assumption that God exerts his influence from inside the universe he created, which isn't necessarily true.
Original post by Racoon

*Billions

Oh ok. I guess literalist sounds more polite? :tongue:

Though I think it's 'easier' to live as an OEC.

So I'm guessing you don't believe in the existence of dinosaurs 65 million years ago? If not, what about the fossils and methods such as carbon dating that tell us this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TMC113

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand where your coming from (the multiverse perhaps?). But that analogy wouldn't really fit tbh. I mean you obviously need someone to turn the screws and dials and stuff so an infinite number of people just chucking bits together will probably never work.
Original post by RobML
That derogatory way is deserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Salty af
Original post by champ_mc99
*Billions

Oh ok. I guess literalist sounds more polite? :tongue:

Though I think it's 'easier' to live as an OEC.

So I'm guessing you don't believe in the existence of dinosaurs 65 million years ago? If not, what about the fossils and methods such as carbon dating that tell us this?

I do believe there were dinosaurs, I believe there were many different kinds of species, more than we know of today, these are seen in the fossil record.

I do not think carbon dating is reliable and definitely not reliable for millions let alone billions of years.
Original post by davidguettafan
Tell me about your supernatural encounter with Jesus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will tell you.

I have had many many encounters and shocking/startling realisations of who Jesus is throughout the time I have been a Christian.

I have had visions and words from God.

One time in church when praying for healing, I saw healing angels wandering in and out of the rows of people, laying hands on their sicknesses praying for healing for them. I saw Jesus kneeling before someone and his hand was on their head, he beckoned over an angel to pray as he moved off to others. Angels were all around in the building, moving from upstairs to downstairs to where they were needed. Seeing this was not scary, it was peaceful and calm. It showed God's concern for us.

I had a vision of the word 'GRACE' following us where ever we went, there was no escaping it. A guy was preaching at church and I saw in a vision his hands on a beach,somewhere like Barbados, were under the clear water. The sky was as blue as you can imagine and the water and sand were as you can imagine paradise to be. His hands were moving along under the water and the shadow of the word GRACE followed his hands wherever they moved. This was an illustration that we might not see God's grace at work or having effect in our lives but it is there overshadowing every where we are and everything we do.

Many more things like this that are real and shocking to me. When I say shocking I don't mean scary, I mean I am shocked by how amazing it is to connect with the real living God.
Original post by Racoon
I do believe there were dinosaurs, I believe there were many different kinds of species, more than we know of today, these are seen in the fossil record.

I do not think carbon dating is reliable and definitely not reliable for millions let alone billions of years.

Oh right. Thanks. I won't ask anymore questions or it'll turn into your AMA. :tongue:
Reply 159
Original post by Racoon
I will tell you.

I have had many many encounters and shocking/startling realisations of who Jesus is throughout the time I have been a Christian.

I have had visions and words from God.

One time in church when praying for healing, I saw healing angels wandering in and out of the rows of people, laying hands on their sicknesses praying for healing for them. I saw Jesus kneeling before someone and his hand was on their head, he beckoned over an angel to pray as he moved off to others. Angels were all around in the building, moving from upstairs to downstairs to where they were needed. Seeing this was not scary, it was peaceful and calm. It showed God's concern for us.

I had a vision of the word 'GRACE' following us where ever we went, there was no escaping it. A guy was preaching at church and I saw in a vision his hands on a beach,somewhere like Barbados, were under the clear water. The sky was as blue as you can imagine and the water and sand were as you can imagine paradise to be. His hands were moving along under the water and the shadow of the word GRACE followed his hands wherever they moved. This was an illustration that we might not see God's grace at work or having effect in our lives but it is there overshadowing every where we are and everything we do.

Many more things like this that are real and shocking to me. When I say shocking I don't mean scary, I mean I am shocked by how amazing it is to connect with the real living God.

See a psychiatrist if you're seeing things and hearing voices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply