The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Civil Rights America 19th/20th Century - 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hihihi123
you thinking turning point for either women or AA?

I guess it will be a TP for Natives, a factor question for Blacks/Unions and/or a leadership/group question for Women...
I don't think there will be more than one TP question
Original post by Gradgrind
I guess it will be a TP for Natives, a factor question for Blacks/Unions and/or a leadership/group question for Women...
I don't think there will be more than one TP question

But the last NA question was a TP one
But the last NA question was a TP one

True but i don't see what else they could ask. Possibly 'TWE was WW1/WW2 the most imp FACTOR' but they've asked about their own contribution so they can't ask much else...maybe a gov. Policy essay but I think they've done that. I think their likely not to ask a tP on blacks or women because there's more to ask about leaders and factors.
Original post by Gradgrind
True but i don't see what else they could ask. Possibly 'TWE was WW1/WW2 the most imp FACTOR' but they've asked about their own contribution so they can't ask much else...maybe a gov. Policy essay but I think they've done that. I think their likely not to ask a tP on blacks or women because there's more to ask about leaders and factors.

True but they haven't asked either a women or AA TP question for a while, and for natives i was thinking it might be federal gov, 1960s and 70s most important period or was WW2 the most important factor but you maybe right- i have no idea
True but they haven't asked either a women or AA TP question for a while, and for natives i was thinking it might be federal gov, 1960s and 70s most important period or was WW2 the most important factor but you maybe right- i have no idea

Dammit OCR
For the help/hinderance question e.g. how far did presidents hinder rather than help the development of a.a. civil rights, would you just focus on that entirely or bring in other factors like the actions of a.a themselves? Also when they ask about the importance of individual leaders like MLK would you just focus on his action or compare it with other factors?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
They haven't asked the NA specimen question yet about the 'Melting pot' but it was asked on the old spec (June 2006) so that might be a possibility.
Reply 47
How many essays is everyone roughly planning, I've done about 10 just worried I'm not covering something!
Original post by ribbon123
For the help/hinderance question e.g. how far did presidents hinder rather than help the development of a.a. civil rights, would you just focus on that entirely or bring in other factors like the actions of a.a themselves? Also when they ask about the importance of individual leaders like MLK would you just focus on his action or compare it with other factors?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know about the Presidents Q but for a leader Q I split it up into Ideology, Rhetoric, Organisation and Legacy and compare each aspect with other leaders.
Original post by marty_marts
These were the questions:
· ‘The Supreme Court had more influence on the African American struggle for civil rights than any than any other branch of government’ To what extent do you agree with this view of the period from 1865 to 1992?
· Assess the view that trade union and labour rights in the USA changed more significantly in the 1980s than at any other time in the period from 1865 to1992.
· ‘The reasons for opposition to gender equality remained the same throughout the period from 1865 to 1992.’ How far do you agree with this view?

That's the first time they've ever asked specifically about the Supreme Court!

TU seems OK as it's a turning point question and they're quite standard.

I remember answering the women's one - I can't for the life of me remember answering the one of the others as I wouldn't have known what the heck to say!
African-American questions (from the mark schemes)

Turning Points:
1) Reconstruction Period
2) 1890s 1915
3) WW2 (asked this twice pre-2008, but not since!)
4) Eisenhower presidency (1953 1961) aka 1950s [2003 & 2013]
5) 1960s [2007]
6) 1970 92

I've included all turning points, as in any turning point question, you must refer to the rest and compare before assessing whether THAT particular turning point was the most important.

Federal government -
a. how far did US presidents hinder rather than help [2007]
b. assess the claim that the federal government was more of a hindrance than a help [2003]
c. how far was federal govt the most important influence on the advancement of AA CR
d. Assess the role of the Fed Govt in the struggle for AA CR

African-Americans Civil Rights movement:
a. How far were AA themselves a significant or important on advancement of AA civil rights? [2005, 2006, & 2008]
Answer should consider NAACP, Niagara Movement, 1960s Civil Rights Movements, Phillip K Randolph’s March on Washington led to direct Presidential intervention in favour of CR, SNCC, CORE versus controversial leaders such as Garvey, Du Bois, BTW and compare this with federal government’s advances.
b. To what extent did the aims of the campaigners for AA civil rights remain the same/change in the period? [2003 and 2010]

To what extent was (x) the most important AA leader:
c. MLK [2008]
d. BTW [2012]
e. Du Bois
f. Garvey
g. Malcolm X
h. Jesse Jackson

They could focus that question on any one of those leaders.

Opposition to AA civil rights:
1) How far do you agree that opposition remained powerful throughout the period of 1865 1992 [2013]
2) Assess the view that the actions of white supremacists were the main reason why AA were denied their CR [2008]

These are the only two opposition questions they've asked.

They tend to ask more about held/hindrance of fed govt, AA leadership/advancement due to their own actions, and turning points.

[YEAR] = when that question was asked
(edited 7 years ago)
How do you guys actually plan an essay? Like in the exam how do you plan them before you write? Is it the same way you're planning essays for revision?
Original post by sorch1
How many essays is everyone roughly planning, I've done about 10 just worried I'm not covering something!

How are you doing the plans?
Reply 53
How are you doing the plans?

AA planned a FG, TP, Opposition, AA leaders/groups and a factor
NA: TP, FG, NA themselves and factor
W: TP, FG, Womens activism, factor
TU: TP and FG essay

Just linking some of the points together in their themes and adding in synthesis where I can, just so I have a rough idea of what to write
Original post by sorch1
AA planned a FG, TP, Opposition, AA leaders/groups and a factor
NA: TP, FG, NA themselves and factor
W: TP, FG, Womens activism, factor
TU: TP and FG essay

Just linking some of the points together in their themes and adding in synthesis where I can, just so I have a rough idea of what to write

Could you possibly send me your plans? Or pictures of them if you've written them out? I'm so sorry to ask but i'm really really struggling :frown:
Reply 55
Original post by ribbon123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your focus would be entirely on the presidents and the way they helped to develop or hindered the civil rights movement- but you could mention that some Presidents who experinced preassure from the movement were more likely to act for e.g: if Johnson and JFK didn't experince preassure from MLK/white liberals/pro-CR media would they really challenge the congress in passing the Civil Rights Act 1964?
Would Nixon and Rgean adapt Affermitive Action if violent protests did not erupt due to socio/economic inequality.
Truman was preassured to act during WW2 becase he coldn't afford a rebellion in America at the time of WW2 where unity was needed thus in order to prevent P.Randolph and his March of Washington proposals he called for the FEPC and desegregated armed forces for the sake of creating unity amongst Americans abroad and keeping Randolph happy.
This would be your Evaluation/Analysis so it is good to bring it in just don't write about MLK who he was/ his achievements ect, just mention that he existed and he put preassure on the Federal government
Reply 56
Could you possibly send me your plans? Or pictures of them if you've written them out? I'm so sorry to ask but i'm really really struggling :frown:

HEY!
Sorry to hear that you're struggling, is it the essay structure or knowledge?
If you need some resources on knowledge then let me know I'll post some powerpoints/and revision guides that you could use!
Original post by Eryka
HEY!
Sorry to hear that you're struggling, is it the essay structure or knowledge?
If you need some resources on knowledge then let me know I'll post some powerpoints/and revision guides that you could use!

Well, my issue is more of just writing them but i do understand structure. My issue is that theoretically I get everything- but when i sit down to write an essay it either a) takes me hours, or b) ends up being repetitive and not that great :frown: what should i do?
Reply 58
Well, my issue is more of just writing them but i do understand structure. My issue is that theoretically I get everything- but when i sit down to write an essay it either a) takes me hours, or b) ends up being repetitive and not that great :frown: what should i do?

You should speak to your teacher tell them that you feel that way and they should help you!
Maybe you having a hard time of recalling developments over time; try doing a timeline for each topic that allow you to see where development was made/where the groups made the most progress/the least progress/ when activism was the strongest/when federal government helped the most.

You should practice doing questions with the markscheme-
It's hard to get your head around all developments over 100 years I feel like a timeline would help you to identify the key points

but I don't know, speak to your teacher and hopefully you will do great!
Original post by Eryka
You should speak to your teacher tell them that you feel that way and they should help you!
Maybe you having a hard time of recalling developments over time; try doing a timeline for each topic that allow you to see where development was made/where the groups made the most progress/the least progress/ when activism was the strongest/when federal government helped the most.

You should practice doing questions with the markscheme-
It's hard to get your head around all developments over 100 years I feel like a timeline would help you to identify the key points

but I don't know, speak to your teacher and hopefully you will do great!

I don't have a teacher, i'm doing it independently. I have tried that, the issue is that i don't really understand what my issue is because in theory I completely understand :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest