The Student Room Group

i got five thousand pounds today, and i spent it all already?!?

Sounds about right, mostly paying bills, council tax, gas, broadband and water, plus i gave 400+ to my wife and paid 1000 on my 25k student debt. I'm also thinking about buying some new hardware (amazon fire box and tv repairs) but there's not much left now?!?

Scroll to see replies

uh, okay?
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
uh, okay?

Do you think this was a good investment Sophie? (ps. did you know that your name means wisdom??)
Original post by john2054
Do you think this was a good investment Sophie? (ps. did you know that your name means wisdom??)

well obviously paying bills and council tax was a must. Depending on the type of student loan you have though paying 1k towards it may have just been money down the drain.

Not sure how you have very little left though if you just paid bills, 1k towards student loan and 400 to your wife.

Edit: lol yeah I knew that.
(edited 7 years ago)
i remember when i got £3,000 i put £1k in my business, £500 to my 'rents and £1500 for my breitling
Reply 5
well obviously paying bills and council tax was a must. Depending on the type of student loan you have though paying 1k towards it may have just been money down the drain.

Not sure how you have very little left though if you just paid bills, 1k towards student loan and 400 to your wife.

£850 on credit card debts,
£420 to wife
£1300 on council tax and other bills
£1000 on student debt
£660 left over, i think that all adds up?
Reply 6

sorry i also owed about a thousand on my student overdraft
Where'd you get the money from?
Sounds about right, mostly paying bills, council tax, gas, broadband and water, plus i gave 400+ to my wife and paid 1000 on my 25k student debt. I'm also thinking about buying some new hardware (amazon fire box and tv repairs) but there's not much left now?!?

Share the rest with the TSR community.
£850 on credit card debts,
£420 to wife
£1300 on council tax and other bills
£1000 on student debt
£660 left over, i think that all adds up?

uh no?

5000 minus all that leaves £1430?
sorry i also owed about a thousand on my student overdraft

1k on top of the student debt? or are you saying the student debt was the student overdraft? confused.

If it was on top of you should have about £430 left. Not £660.
Reply 11
uh no?

5000 minus all that leaves £1430?

the rest was on my student overdraft i meant sorry...
the rest was on my student overdraft i meant sorry...

Ah right okay.

what student loan repayment plan are you on? (assuming this is student finance?) And were you currently already eligible to be making repayments? Or were you below the threshhold?
Reply 13
Yeah life after university is brutal.
Reply 14
i think i owed about £800 on my co-operative student account. I don't call this a credit card, because it is not. However they both serve the same purpose, and both need to be paid back.

The student debt payment was £1000 voluntary on £25 thousand. Also i have just brought an american investment magazine subscription for £30 odd, so i now have £630 i think.

yes the latest payment isn't showing up on my account, because it was done with paypal and it takes a couple of days to register with that service. It still shows me as having £680+ left over. but as i said that is a bit of an overestimate. thanks for caring!
Reply 15
Ah right okay.

what student loan repayment plan are you on? (assuming this is student finance?) And were you currently already eligible to be making repayments? Or were you below the threshhold?

I don't have to make repayments, because i am not working, but can do them on an ad hoc basis. I don't think the government will want to turn away free money!
Thank **** I'm not an adult yet :biggrin: x
I still live with my parents and just ask them when I want something :') xx
I don't have to make repayments, because i am not working, but can do them on an ad hoc basis. I don't think the government will want to turn away free money!

Yeah...for you pretty much money down the drain then. Which is fine if you're paying it back on principal and if you don't really need the money.

But if you tend to have a rocky financial situation or are not financially stable that was pretty much a terrible financial decision.
Reply 18
Yeah...for you pretty much money down the drain then. Which is fine if you're paying it back on principal and if you don't really need the money.

But if you tend to have a rocky financial situation or are not financially stable that was pretty much a terrible financial decision.

i still have about £160k in the funds you know Sophie?
i still have about £160k in the funds you know Sophie?

Well obviously no, there is no reason I'd know that. I don't know the ins and outs of your financial situation, nor was previously told.

Which is why I gave an opinion for both sides. One for if you needed the money and one for if you didn't.

Quick Reply

Latest